The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by DarkVisor, Jun 3, 2019.

1. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Hard to believe this was made so recently, looks brilliant!
    • Like x 1
  2. Sir That Guy Loyal Player

I love the mix of practical effects with CGI. Looks absolutely beautiful!
  3. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Indeed, it looks gorgeous.

Unfortunately I find myself a little apprehensive about it. Not because I think it looks bad or anything like that, but it was such a touchstone movie from my childhood that it could be a tough hill to climb for the creators.

There's that, and the fact that it's a prequel means it may be challenging to connect with the characters knowing how it all ends up turning out (especially any Gelfling characters.)

Nice callbacks to Aughra and the Chamberlain, though. :D
  4. Sir That Guy Loyal Player

And an amazing cast to boot.

"The 'Dark Crystal' cast is stacked.

The voice cast includes Taron Egerton, who is currently playing Elton John in Rocketman; Anya Taylor-Joy, who is known for creepy movies like The Witch, Glass, and Thoroughbreds; and Nathalie Emmanuel from Game of Thrones provide voices for three of the main characters. The rest of the cast is filled out with actors like Natalie Dormer, Theo James, Mark Hamill, Helena Bonham Carter, Simon Pegg, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, and Keegan-Michael Key, and it's directed by Louis Leterrier, who's known for action movies like The Transporter and The Incredible Hulk. That's an impressive set of talent."

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/li...ark-crystal-age-of-resistance-news-cast-date/
  5. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Kinda had the same thoughts, butt at the same time, was always intrigued about how it all started: did the Old Ones (whatever the Hael they were called) knew what would happen when they split? how close did the Gelflings get to defeating the Skegness's before they were (almost) wiped out?
  6. willflynne 10000 Post Club

They keep it kind of vague as to what happened with the Crystal in the original film. In the intro all they say is, "The Crystal cracked." Meanwhile, at the end of the film the most information you get from the combined/reunified beings is that they cracked it "...in their arrogance and delusion." So depending on how far they go back in the story (Crystal was cracked 1000 years before the film) they might be able to show what those beings did.

Given the "arrogance and delusion" line, I'm guessing those beings had no idea what would happen and may not have known they would split into two different races when the Crystal cracked. As for the Gelflings, 1000 years is a long time and they never really say how recently the attempted purge started.

Like Aughra said, "Questions, questions, too many questions!" :D
  7. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Well, we have the Skegnessess, so it's at least shortly after crack
    And it's possible they didn't crack it directly: arrogance and delusion could mean they ignored some warning or some other force, and someone or something else did the cracking (it did look like some sort of evil claws grabbed hold of the Crystal and dragged it down, and not just the chains that were holding it up)
  8. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Funky, they've announced a tie-in game for the Switch, a tactics-style game.

9. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Doesn't look too shabby, destructible environments is always a plus, just a shame it's on Switch
    And it looks like some of the gelflings were evil (spoiler perhaps?)
  10. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player