The Anime Thread

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Free2BeMe, Jul 21, 2014.

1. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Correction time, it's Petrea Burchard. Seems as though the folks on the Funimation site misspelled her name, and that's what I was going by. :oops:

Still happy to see her coming back to play Ryoko, though. :D
  2. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I didn't think I was going to get more enjoyment out of Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, but I did, and after only watching one episode of the video release, no less. :)

The home video release includes translated lyrics for the opening and closing songs, so it's fun to see exactly what those peppy songs are saying. But the closing song was a fun little surprise, because it's VERY easy to read some of the lyrics being sung by the various dragons as the "looking down on weak pathetic humans" attitude that pops up here and there in the show. It's done in the same fun tone of the show so it doesn't come across as mean-spirited, but it's something that adds an interesting little twist on that happy little tune they're singing. LOL
  3. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Yeah, looking forward to having a working DVD player again to watch MKDM, the books are fun to read in the meantime (waiting on one book about Kanna's school days)
  4. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Okay, finally finished going through the episodes and extras on the Miss Kobayashi release.

The show's still awesome, so that's no worry. As for the extras, they have the extra Valentine's/hot springs episode as well as a series of shorts called Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Something. It's basically three minutes of sight gags and jokes per short as they change things up a bit. One is centered around animals, so you get to see things like Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Cat or Dragon Koala. LOL It got some good laughs out of me.

The only disappointments on the extras is that there isn't any actor commentaries (grown to like those on Funimation releases) and they weren't able to dub the Valentine/hot spring episode or the shorts. They're still great, but it would have been fun hearing what they came up with for a dub.

I also picked up and watched the release for Interviews with Monster Girls. Again, the show still holds up with both the dub and Japanese versions, but on the plus side they did do a dub for the summer festival extra episode. Downside is that, again, no commentary tracks.

Maybe it was because both shows were dubbed as the season went along and they couldn't get the actors together afterwards for their thoughts. I'm just bummed because I liked the material both shows tackled and presented and it would have been interesting to hear what the actors thought.

Either way, if you liked either show (or both) it's well worth picking them up.
  5. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Oh, before I forget, it's also worth checking Adult Swim's YouTube channel, they've been putting up a few FLCL related videos for the upcoming release of the new shows. The most recent one is an English-dub trailer for the first new show, but they also did a video looking at the voice actors for FLCL, including Kari Whalgren.
  6. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Curse you Funimation! They stacked a bunch of releases for August.

Of interest for me was the release of Gamers!, My First Girlfriend is a Gal and Tsuredure Children, but they're also releasing Planetarian, Eureka Seven Hi and season two of Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans that month.
    • Like x 1
  7. willflynne 10000 Post Club

So.

FLCL Progressive.

:D

Familiar, but not the same. Hitting all the right notes so far. Gonna be fun to see where it goes.

Oh, and kudos to Kari Wahlgren for nailing her dialogue. Couldn't have been easy given the content of her lines.

And just for fun...

Great interview.
    • Like x 1
  8. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

Looking forward to watching the 1st episode, i recorded it on my dvr
  9. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Wow, that was fascinating to watch roll out. Lot of links incoming because I'm not gonna retype everything. LOL

So last Friday, some news came out about some controversy regarding the author of [New Life+] Young Again in Another World and the main character of the story. The controversy came out in part because of an upcoming anime based on the light novel.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/in...onist-novel-creator-cause-controversy/.132291

Yesterday, news broke that the author apologized and tried to make amends.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/in...or-controversial-tweets-novel-content/.132479

Then MORE news broke that many of the cast had resigned/quit the show.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...or-apology-for-controversial-comments/.132504

Today? The anime was cancelled.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...gain-in-another-world-anime-cancelled/.132516

And later today? Well the light novel's shipments have been halted.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...er-world-light-novel-shipments-halted/.132519
  10. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Can you, possibly, give a brief summary of what was going on?
  11. willflynne 10000 Post Club

And after I posted all those links. :( LOL

Okay, so the protagonist of the light novels is a Japanese man who lives to a ripe old age of 94 and is given a chance to go to another world upon his death. The usual bit with "in another world" stories, he'll get a young body, all sorts of abilities, and so forth.

Thing is, as part of his backstory, the protagonist participated in the Second Sino-Japanese War and killed more than 3000 people during that conflict, and that didn't sit well with some Chinese fans born/living in Japan. From the article:

Some net commenters believe it is highly inappropriate to make an anime centering on a character who killed thousands of Chinese people during a real-world historical event. On the other hand, some commenters said that the more than 3000-victim figure is an exaggeration, and the story is a work of fiction, so making an anime about such a fictitious story is not problematic. However, other commenters said that using such a hyperbolic figure still demeans China, especially in light of the many real casualties in the war.

That in itself might not have been so bad, but it was also pointed out that some of the other content in the novels and some online posts by the author could be viewed as hate speech towards China (examples are in the first article). On top of that, the author also had posted similar criticisms and derogatory comments about South Korea in the past.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/in...onist-novel-creator-cause-controversy/.132291

And things kinda snowballed from there, especially over the past few days.
  12. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

During WW2 the Japanese killed hundred of thousands of Chinese citizens. It was horrible the things they did. Keep in mind they did horrible experiments on them. Also these Chinese were just citizens not soldiers. It is often compared to what Hitler did to the Jews and what Stalin did the his own people. So, these are the reason why there is some controversy.
  13. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Thanks for the added context, it's much appreciated.
    • Like x 1
  14. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Thank you both
    • Like x 1
  15. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

Just watched flcl progreesive, it was outstanding. Looking forward to the rest
  16. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Hey Everyone
    So I went Go Karting this weekend and it was a blast but as I was driving, someone cut me off and instantly had a INITIAL D moment. It went sort of like this :p
  17. JAH1997 New Player

https://discord.gg/svuHQ22 join the Forever Knights discord channel and chat with friends about anime, games, movies or whatever become a knight today
  18. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

Just watched the 1st episode of season 6 of Voltron, It was excellent. Looking forward to episode 2
  19. Arwen Skywalker Loyal Player

I know it's been a couple of days already but

MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN this episode...
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  20. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I was going to post something about my amusement with the latest Black Clover episode and the whole "Captain Charlotte is totally tsundere with Captain Yami" dynamic they introduced (thought they played it out really well), but yeah, that episode with All Might kinda blows away just about anything else other shows put out there.
    • Like x 1