The Anime Thread

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Free2BeMe, Jul 21, 2014.

1. willflynne 10000 Post Club

• Like x 1
  2. DCUO Post Loyal Player

• Like x 1
  3. willflynne 10000 Post Club

We've got release dates/windows for FLCL Progressive and Alternative, along with an English dub trailer.

And yes, that's Kari Wahlgren back as Haruko.

:D
    • Like x 1
  4. Arwen Skywalker Loyal Player

5. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

Outstanding \o/
  6. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Well, it looks like it's time for some shows to wind down, and the first one I've been watching to do so was Slow Start.

All in all it was a nice little calm piece of animation to watch. It was one of a surprising number of "cute girls doing cute things" shows from this season (the only male character in the show and opening is the main character's dad), with the main premise being the lead character was hiding the fact that she was a year older than her classmates and was stressing about it to a degree.

That premise was one of the things that did seem a little off to me. The reason for the main character being older was explained pretty well and the circumstances seem like something people would be pretty understanding about, so the main character stressing about it was just odd, especially when the show tended towards heartwarming moments more than anything else. It's understandable considering folks will stress out over something that's no big deal, and it may just be a bigger deal in Japanese culture as well. It didn't ruin the stories told, but it was kind of distracting to me.

The other thing that came off as odd, or at least counter to the general tone of the show, was the interactions with one of the characters and her teacher. The show's got some strong (but not lurid) yuri overtones to it and the character in question (Eiko) is adored by many of the girls at their school (all-girls school, of course). In one particular episode that gets brought up to Eiko, and she responds by saying their teacher is more of her type.

Later in the episode said teacher finds herself waking up early in the morning to find Eiko sleeping in her apartment with Eiko's hands being tied. o_O

Now, the explanation behind it is pretty much a harmless one, so no worries there. But the following scene starts a whole different dynamic between the two characters from that point on, and it ends up creating a weird vibe that differs greatly from the rest of the show, especially with how the scene plays out and the design of the setting contrasting with the rest of the show's design aesthetic. The whole teacher/student dynamic gets played with a bit, but I think the fact that it is a teacher/student dynamic might leave some feeling a little uncomfortable. It doesn't help that it's easy to tell that Eiko is VERY interested in the teacher, but it's tough to tell how much of the teacher's apparent cluelessness is real and how much is an act. And if it is an act, then the question becomes whether or not she's trying to discourage Eiko, mess with Eiko's head a bit or is just doing reciprocal flirtation.

Man, that part of the show stuck with me a lot more than I thought, I didn't expect to write so much about it. LOL Anyhow, all in all Slow Start is a pretty harmless example of the "cute girls doing cute things" genre, but the whole Eiko/homeroom teacher interactions add an unexpected twist later on. Whether that's good or bad for the show overall might come down to how someone views those interactions.
  7. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Two more of the shows I followed finished up, How to Keep a Mummy and Karakai Jozu No Takagi-san.

How to Keep a Mummy was flat out adorable. :D Watching the characters meet and interact with the various creatures that come to be a part of their lives is the main focus of the show, and they do it well. But as a bonus, along the way you get some character development and some interesting world-building regarding the creatures and it fills out the show nicely. A great show if you want something pretty low-key and cute (even the eyecatch stills they use for the mid-show break and the endings are freaking adorable lol).

Takagi-san was adorable as well, but for different reasons. It centers on Takagi and her classmate Nishikata, with Takagi always managing to get the upper hand in teasing Nishikata despite his best efforts to one-up her. It's pretty evident early on that Takagi's teasing of Nishikata isn't done out of meanness, and by the end of the show we get to see why she was so interested in him in the first place. But along the way we get to watch as they interact, and it's just fun. The vast majority of the time Takagi wins the teasing battle Nishikata thinks they are waging, and she does it while remaining VERY composed, so it makes the moments where Nishikata gets a victory or manages to fluster Takagi a bit out as big deals.

Plus it's one I'd recommend either the original Japanese OR the dub. The dub features Aaron Dismuke (Leo from Blood Blockade Battlefront) and Sarah Weidenheft (Tohru from Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid) as Nishikata and Takagi respectively, and their interplay and back and forth is just as good as the Japanese version. Whichever version you watch, it's well worth a look.
  8. willflynne 10000 Post Club

• Like x 1
  9. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Hey Everyone
    Don't forget about the premiere of the prequel of a anime classic FIST OF THE BLUE SKY REGENESIS
    [IMG]

I am very interested in seeing this because FIST OF THE NORTH STAR was one of the first titles that got me hooked into anime and has been mentioned or parodied in other anime shows. However, I'm not too keen on the animation style because it looks very similar to the 2016/2017 BERSERK anime and we know how bad that went :( Still, if you guys love the series, check it out
    • Like x 1
  10. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Has anyone seen the WORKING BUDDIES anime shorts. This came out of nowhere and I have been enjoying them. The story centers around the cheerful Tapio and the pessimistic Kuehiko. The two study in the same college and work together on various odd jobs.
  11. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Love the Excel Saga clip. :D

Anyhow, that one's been kinda flying under my radar. I do hope it lives up to the potential, though. That's a classic and I'd hate to see things go wrong in their attempt.

My own experience with Fist of the North Star was a bit different. I never caught the series, but did watch the anime movie back-to-back with Akira one evening. I probably shouldn't have done so right before bed, though. With everything those two movies throw at you, it's best to have a little decompression before sleep. VERY weird dreams that night, to say the least. :confused: LOL
    • Like x 1
  12. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

:p I agree. My brother and I caught the original series on Showtime Beyond a long time ago when the network actually had an hour anime block but the series is a long one. While the movies are just as good especially the new ovas, the classic can't be beat. Especially the classic opening theme which I told my brother was a love song that translates "Regain the Love." He simply responded then that is the manliest love song ever invented by man :p

Also here's another hilarious parody
  13. Arwen Skywalker Loyal Player

NUMBER ONE WAIFU
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  14. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

I have been watching B on netflix. This is an outstanding anime
  15. willflynne 10000 Post Club

It's tough to disagree, but how she was acting in the latest episode might give some folks pause about that idea.

They nailed the casting for the English dub, though. Tia Ballard is rocking it in that role. :)
  16. Arwen Skywalker Loyal Player

Season 3 in a couple of days

And a movie announcement on August
    • Like x 1
  17. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

I have been looking forward to this
  18. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

I think i saw episode 1 of season 3 of tokyo ghoul. I saw on funimation, however i was not sure what it was
  19. willflynne 10000 Post Club

They are doing same-day dubs for the new season, but the article I looked up makes it tough to tell if it's going to be for the entire season or just a set number of episodes.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...including-same-day-tokyo-ghoul-re-dub/.129655

Of course, I'm a little tired so I may be misreading something there. :D
    • Like x 1
  20. Arwen Skywalker Loyal Player

afaik it's just the first 7 episodes.