The Anime Thread

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Free2BeMe, Jul 21, 2014.

1. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Is It Wrong to Try and Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? hit video this week, so with as much as I loved the show it was a "must have" for my collection. :D

It was released by Sentai Filmworks, and while most of the time they just do releases with subtitles they did an English dub for this show. Overall it's an okay dub, but I did have some issues with it.

The casting wasn't bad, but with some characters seemed to be talking louder when their Japanese counterpart used a quieter performance, and some characters that were performed a little louder in the Japanese version were quieter in English. It could just be my own imagining of how I might have performed or directed a particular character (those old acting instincts still rear their head every once in a while LOL), but for me it kind of weakened the dub performance.

The other issue with the dub was that they redubbed the monsters as well. You wouldn't think that would be an issue, but the Japanese version of the show gave the monsters a really cool unearthly sound to their roars and sounds. That unearthly sound really added to some of the fights in the show, particularly Bell's fights with the Silverback and the Minotaur. They tried replicating that with the English dub, but I think it fell short of the original and it took a little something away from the monsters in the process.

It's still a show I'd recommend and the dub is okay, but personally I'll probably end up watching it with subtitles from now on when I pull it off the shelf for a viewing.
  2. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Just watched the last episode of Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid.

Wow. :eek: It was a great series to begin with, but they really stuck the landing with this episode.
    • Like x 1
  3. willflynne 10000 Post Club

....and now I'm irritated. o_O

Seems as though two of the spring series I was looking forward to are only going to be streaming on Amazon's anime service. The new Saekano and Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? series are theirs exclusively.

Yeah, that's irritating.
  4. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

I agree. This anime is hands down one of the best of 2017 so far. The characters, the comedy, the music, all synced perfectly and will definitely be a part of my collection. While the manga is still ongoing, I hear due to its popularity, Kanna chan will be getting her own spinoff in Manga form. Now the question is if they'll do a second season or maybe an ova
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  5. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Ah, some happy news! :D

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...an-tv-anime-gets-2nd-season-this-fall/.114547

Another season of Umaru-chan, such fun. :)

On a side note, I watched the first episode of Love Tyrant this morning. Talk about a wonderfully bonkers show, it's on my watch list for this season. My only possible complaint is that the show is so fast-paced that it seems like it's over really quickly, even though it's a full-length show.
  6. Bendmetal Dedicated Player

Need to finish Kobayashi and Demi, but I have to continue on into the spring season
    Stuff I am watching:
    SNK S2
    My Hero Academia 2
    Rokudenashi
    Machiavelli
    Saekeno (Regrettably)
    Adding more to my list soon
    • Like x 2
  7. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Wish I could justify spending the money for Amazon's service for Saekano and Sword Oratoria (new Is It Wrong...series). If it was standalone maybe, but having to get Prime AND the extra service just isn't worth the cost for me.

Dang it all, I still have to finish the last season of My Hero Academia, almost forgot about that. :confused:
  8. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

What can you tell me about "Eureka Seven"?
  9. willflynne 10000 Post Club

It appeared as part of Toonami/Adult Swim's anime rotation, so it got a good amount of exposure in the US.

Even with the heavy sci-fi setting and mech use, I think it'd be fair to say that one of the central themes of the show was family.

It's something of an involved show as far as viewing (50 episodes or so, according to Anime News Network).

The plot summary from ANN:

Plot Summary: Renton Thurston is a 14-year-old boy who lived with his mechanic grandfather in a backwater town. Every day he dreamed of being with the mercenary "Light Finding Operation (LFO)" aircraft pilot group "Gekkostate" and riding "Trapar" particle waves-- a sport called "reffing"-- with their charismatic leader Holland, especially when faced with his father's acclaimed past or his grandfather's desire to protect him. When a young girl named Eureka riding the original LFO, the "Nirvash typeZERO", asks his grandfather for a tune-up, she inadvertently brings the attention of the military to the garage; as a result, the garage is destroyed and Renton is forced to deliver a new type of interface-- the "Amita Drive"-- to the Nirvash. After a heated fight in which the Nirvash destroys the military LFOs by unleashing an immense amount of power, Renton is invited into Gekkostate. However, he quickly realizes that behind the facade of a traveling group of mercenaries is a very bitter reality

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=4797

It spawned a follow-up series recently, Eureka Seven AO.

There's a trilogy of movies coming starting this year.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...ecade-earlier-with-new-hardfloor-song/.113546

Oh, and the first word in the title is the name of one of the characters, and it's pronounced El-rekah. Because anime. :confused: :D
    • Like x 1
  10. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Cannot be explained anymore perfectly than that. Will got it. Eureka Seven was awesome :)
    • Like x 1
  11. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Thanks, but remembering what I do from the show I feel like I barely scratched the surface of what that show is about. LOL
  12. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Just re-watched the Fate series this weekend on my downtime, just because and til now continues being a good anime

and no this is not the intro, it's just a parody :p
  13. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Thank you, ordered the Complete 50-episode collection for $35 :D
    So, this is like a variation on the Gundam series? (or one of many of that type :p)
    • Like x 1
  14. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Well it's a completely different universe than any of the Gundam shows, but if I remember right it does hit some of the same kinds of story beats they touched on in the original Gundam series.

I think the big difference is what I mentioned earlier, though. Gundam seemed to focus a lot on war and the effects of war as its theme, but the more I think of the story from Eureka Seven the more I feel the overall theme was about family above anything else.
  15. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Knew it was a different universe, that's why said 'a variation', meant with the flying transformo-exo-suits, although in Eureka Seven's case, they seemed to be more of the 'sky-surfer' type than the self-propelled
  16. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Yeah, my bad on that one, wasn't 100% awake when composing that post before work this morning. lol
    • Like x 1
  17. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Nice. 50 episode collection for that price is a steal :eek: . At first, Eureka 7 looks like it's about mecha, or comedic-mecha-action-shounen-possibly-romance, but it's not. First and foremost it focuses on Renton and Eureka, and for the first half, a healthy portion of it is character development. I don't have a problem with that, as the character development episodes are some of the best ones in the series. It keeps enough of the plot around but it really kicks into gear when things change and the show starts to leave you asking questions.

And what Will said, it may seem to have a variation with Gundam because the show was produced with Bandai Entertainment (company behind Gundam) but if you end up enjoying it there's also the animated movie which is an alternate take to the original anime and then there's the sequel Eureka Seven AO but both are a bit of a hit and miss because some fans either loved or hated it

but it's ultimately a story about the 2 main characters
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  18. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Yeah, may get Eureka Seven AO next time (they had two sets or seasons of that as well)
    • Like x 1
  19. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Just wanted to add this after catching up on the latest Macross anime series and to this day, I ask, Do You Remember Love?

I fell in love with this anime when it was shown here in the US as Robotech but the original Japanese Macross left me wondering in the greatest legend spanning all of the Macross series. Since the Megaroad-02 disappeared in its voyage in the middle of the Milky Way in 2016 A.D, nothing has been known as to what happened to the ship and crew, especially the three characters Hikaru Ichijo (Skull leader), Misa Ichijo (SDF-02 captain), & Lynn Minmay (Idol singer) who have been declared missing
  20. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Anyone know what the English title of this is?