The Anime Thread

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Free2BeMe, Jul 21, 2014.

1. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

I watched that anime years ago and loved it. Beatless may have something to do as far as no heart beating, which would be beatless. But that dosen't mean that the AI cannot feel or love
    • Like x 1
  2. willflynne 10000 Post Club

The Eminence in Shadow finished up.

A little unusual that the show ran for 20 episodes, so it ran over the course of just under two seasons, but what a ride. :D

Imagine someone as OP and utterly confident in his abilities as Anos Voldigoad from The Misfit of Demon King Academy, originally from our world who wanted to be a dark figure fighting against a secretive cult/organization (dude was a serious chunibyo before being reincarnated). He gets his wish and is born again in a world with magic, allowing him to become the very overpowered Shadow. But even though he's reincarnated and saves more than a few women from some horrible magical fates, he knows he's not REALLY fighting against an evil cult that committed those horrible acts on the ladies and that the women are just playing along with him to indulge him.

Except the cult IS real. And the cult IS being actively fought by his Shadow Garden, being thwarted on purpose by the Garden and (more than a few times) accidentally by Shadow while he's playing out his fantasy game.

There is so much fun stuff in this show. The action scenes are amazing, worth watching the show alone. The comedy ranges from obvious name puns (Shadow's best friends as Cid are named Skel Etal and Po Tato, for starters) to some riffs on the "character fighting from the shadows" tropes to the disconnects between Shadow and the Garden as to what's going on and even more. Heck, one of the members of Shadow Garden is gorgeous and a bit of a business savant, but it seems she can't walk more than five steps before face-planting for no real reason (she's that clumsy), and Shadow's dedication to being as much of a background character while being Cid provided more than a few laughs.

But behind it all they've created an interesting world and built it up really well, seeding all sorts of storylines to explore as the show went on and for possible future seasons. I want to see how far the cult actually reaches, what sort of actions get taken by the Garden and the Cult, and so on.

I can't recommend the show enough. They took the "OP character" trope and ran with it in an interesting direction and definitely had some fun along they way. The only possible quibble I might have with the show is that the cast can get pretty large and keeping track of everyone can be challenging (especially the Shadow Garden members) but that's pretty minor.

Oh, and when Cid/Shadow declares what he is during a battle? Either jam the volume or wear some headphones/earbuds. It's REALLY cool. :D
    • Like x 2
  3. willflynne 10000 Post Club

• Like x 1
  4. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

• Like x 2
  5. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

I can’t find this :(
  6. willflynne 10000 Post Club

It's on the HIDIVE streaming service.
    • Like x 2
  7. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

I guess I’ll have to dip into my purse and sub.
    • Like x 1
  8. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

Is Farming Life in Another World on HDive too? I really wanted to see that one too.
    • Like x 1
  9. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Look at it this way, you'll get access to all seasons of Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? and the related shows in the process. :)
    • Like x 2
  10. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Yup, just checked and it's there.
    • Like x 1
  11. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

Well, I do like Bell :)
    • Like x 2
  12. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

The lastest season of Pick up Girls in Dungeon is my favorite of the entire series. Bell and Ryu go through so much.
    • Like x 1
  13. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

I read somewhere online there is speculation that Ryuu is the goddess Freya in disguise and uses her persona as Ryuu to get closer to Bell.

I really liked the father/daughter relationship Bell had with Wiene in the last season, at least that is how I viewed their relationship.
    • Like x 1
  14. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

That was so adorable and to see her come back in this season really touched my heart
    • Like x 1
  15. DCUO Post Loyal Player

16. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Well, some shows have started wrapping up, so here we go again. First up is the latest seasons of Welcome to Demon School, Iruma-kun and Don't Toy with me, Miss Nagatoro 2nd Attack.

Iruma-kun was a fun and interesting season, as we got to explore and examine his classmates as they participated in the Harvest Festival. Having the stakes raised with the class losing their special classroom if they don't all advance in rank by a certain time (they haven't reached that point in time yet lol) added some tension but a lower stakes tension that matched the more fun nature of the show. Different pairs of students got some tutors to help them refine their powers in preparation for the festival, so we got to not only explore the classmates more but we also got to see different pairings (Iruma, Asmodeus and Clara were separated as a result) and some new interactions.

We got to see some growth in just about everyone and the run of the festival was entertaining, but the arc did kind of drag a bit. Hopefully the next arc is a little tighter, but overall if you've liked Iruma-kun so far you're likely to enjoy this season as well.

Nagatoro 2nd Attack was, in spite of some of the spicier moments in the season and the vibe we got from Nagatoro's interactions with Senpai in the first season, a rather wholesome show. We did get some risque jokes here and there, and the Art Club president was very much still letting her freak flag fly more than once, but watching Nagatoro and Senpai interact was absolutely adorable. Senpai is starting to stand up for himself and Nagatoro more, and Nagatoro was getting flustered with some of what Senpai would say to her. The whole thing was pretty cute overall.

And as a side note, we got to learn Senpai's name, and it was done almost in stealth mode. :D I say stealth mode because more of a deal was made of Senpai learning Nagatoro's first name than learning Senpai's name. It was subtle enough and done over the course of a couple of episodes that I had to go back and rewatch those episodes to confirm it. LOL

Again, like Iruma-kun, if you liked the previous season you'll probably like this one. The nature of Nagatoro's relationship with Senpai might not agree with everyone, but it's been a fun and surprisingly sweet show to watch.
    • Like x 1
  17. DCUO Post Loyal Player

Solo Leveling coming Winter 2024
  18. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Two more finishes, The Ice Guy and His Cool Female Colleague and the latest season of Is It Wrong to Try and Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?

Ice Guy is a very simple meet-cute style of office rom-com, with the twist that it's a world where some people are descended from spirits. The ice guy (Himuro) is descended from a yuki-onna, for example. He meets his cool female colleague (Fuyutsuki) while on his way to his first day of work, and they discover that they're working at the same company, and things go from there.

All in all it's a very sweet show, low key but adorable. The "descended from supernatural creatures" aspect is prevalent and adds a neat twist on both the world and the people we meet, and it makes for kind of a "happy food" watch. If you want a nice break from heavier anime fare and like rom-coms, it's one to look at.

Is It Wrong? Wow, what a season. At one point I fell behind on episodes and decided to just binge the rest of the season when it finished, and boy am I glad I did. I don't think I could have handled waiting for new episodes to come out each week. The fights were amazing, as usual, and the drama following both parties making their way through a dungeon that had seemingly gone nuts was incredibly engaging. Watching Ryu's story was particulary engaging. Highly recommend, don't miss it.

And as a side note...

I'm more inclined to think that it's Ryu's co-worker Syr that's Freya in disguise. Between the similar hair colors and the interest in Bell, it seems the more likely candidate. It would also explain one of the first season lines Freya had about seeing Bell suddenly and being so taken with him.
    • Like x 2
  19. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

I really enjoyed these two anime, especailly, "Is it Wrong, Bell really shined in this season along with Ryu. I was so hoping for the two them but I know becuase of the title it may never happen. But still one of my favorite anime this season along with a few others
    • Like x 1
  20. willflynne 10000 Post Club

So. That looks kinda bonkers. :D
    • Like x 2