The Anime Thread

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Free2BeMe, Jul 21, 2014.

1. willflynne 10000 Post Club

• Like x 1
  2. Wade Spalding Loyal Player

There are some animes they really should just workover to HD and leave that stupid live action approach out of it. Well, basically: all - since I still have to see a live action adaption by Netflix that was actually worth the effort.
  3. willflynne 10000 Post Club

What's really frustrating for me is that all the elements are in place for good adaptations. The interest is there thanks to the anime audience expanding over the years. There are writers out there that can do good adaptations of stories from other mediums. Visual effects have advanced enough so that a lot of the "out there" stuff that can happen in anime is capable of being done in a live action film. And there are directors and actors out there capable of really bringing those stories to life.

I don't expect completely faithful, word-for-word and shot-for-shot recreations of shows. I've seen enough adaptations to know that changes are bound to take place. But it gets really frustrating when all those elements I mentioned are in place and they can't even seem to get the spirit of the original work right.
    • Like x 1
  4. Wade Spalding Loyal Player

Same boat :D Lots of the Netflix adaptions feel like "let's do this quick and cheap, our production, our license, no need to buy one any longer". And what's worse - it's seemingly "good" enough to feed the masses....
  5. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

That's because the 'masses' are 'morons'
    • Like x 1
  6. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

What are your thoughts on Bloom into You?
  7. willflynne 10000 Post Club

That's been a very interesting show to watch. It's avoided a lot of the tropes/pitfalls you might expect out of a yuri story and been pretty thoughtful on exploring love and romance, both in a general sense and in same-sex pairings. On top of that the story itself has unfolded (or bloomed, if you want to go straight to a pun LOL) very well, putting some stakes in the relationships without going into heavy melodrama territory.

It's been a really solid show so far, and one I'd recommend. The only thing I'd warn folks about is that it IS a romantic drama involving teenagers, so there might be instances of getting frustrated with how some of the characters are acting. Even so, that's about the only downside I can see with the show so far.
    • Like x 1
  8. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

Thank You, I will start watching it tonight. I just got the VRV for my ps4 and now i can watch it
  9. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Just as a heads-up, HIDIVE has been doing something of a simul-dub of the show, so a good chunk of the first episodes have both Japanese and English audio to them. I don't know if that's carrying over to VRV with them now having access to the HIDIVE library, but it's something to keep in mind. Both the dub and the original Japanese versions are well-acted, though, so it's kind of a win-win scenario.
    • Like x 1
  10. willflynne 10000 Post Club

11. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Hey Everyone
    It's finally here. Saitama is back
    • Like x 2
  12. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

I am so looking forward to this
    • Like x 1
  13. FoolsFire Devoted Player

Watched Baki on Netflix. It's only HALF the damn season! :pPPP

13 episodes out of 26 for some stupid reason. I would have waited if I would have known that.
  14. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Feeling three distinct emotions about anime at the moment.

Anticipation: The third season of Date A Live is coming up in the winter season, and I'm curious to see where that story goes. Does make me wonder if Funimation is going to release/show the movie that came between seasons two and three or not, though.

Enjoyment: The simuldub of Reincarnated as a Slime reached the introduction of Gabiru, the lizardman prince (for lack of a better term) and the casting was once again spot on. They cast Austin Tindle as that rather goofball character, and it works so well.

Frustration: Seen some announcements about the next season of My Hero Academia, and knowing season four has to wait until October of next year is aggravating, especially with how good the last season was. :mad:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/da...4-reveals-october-premiere-1st-visual/.141015
  15. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Hey Tanya the Evil fans
    Seems no mentioned the upcoming film that will be releases Feb 9
    • Like x 1
  16. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Has anyone seen Cells at work aka Hataraku Saibou? Its both educational and adorable
    • Like x 1
  17. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

I am one of the biggest fans of Tanya the Evil. I am so looking forward to the movie. No mention yet for the release to other countries, however it will make its way sometime after.
    • Like x 1
  18. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

• Like x 2
  19. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Same here, can't wait for the confrontation between Tanya and Mary. Not going to lie, as soon as I heard about the movie I did a happy evil dance :p
    [IMG]
    • Like x 2
  20. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Just adding some more Tanya goodness :D
    • Like x 1