The Anime Thread

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Free2BeMe, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Kensama New Player

Ok, Gonna start out going sorta old school for those who might have missed a few, attempted to list some not mentioned yet, some are not for the timid..definitely over 18*
    * denotes series
    # denotes movie
    Heavy Metal #
    Ninja Scroll #
    Ninja Scroll The Series*
    Wrath of the Ninja #
    Ninja Resurrection #
    Batman Ninja (2018) #
    Fist of the North Star*/# Multiple variations of movies /series through the years
    Baki The Grappler*/#
    Afro Samurai 1 & 2 #
    Brave 10*
    Claymore*
    Sword of the Stranger
    Blade of The Immortal
    Basilisk*
    Black Lagoon*
    Black Rock Shooter *
    Guyver*
    Black Blood Brothers *
    Darker Than Black *
    Black Butler *
    Blood+ *
    Outlaw Star *
    Full Metal Panic *
    Last Exile *
    Trigun *
    Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood *
    Samurai Champloo *
    Code Geass *
    Cowboy Bebop *
    Elfen Lied *
    Wolfs Rain *
    Eureka Seven *
    Soul Eater *
    Battle Angel Alita
    Gantz * /Newer one on Netflix #
    Mushishi *
    Psycho Pass *
    Clannad *
    Tokyo Ghoul *
    Vampire Knight *
    -gave up denotes-lol-
    Devilman
    Violence Jack
    Shuten Douji
    Kite
    Crying Freeman
    Mad Bull 34
    Wild 7
    M.D. Geist
    Angel Cop
    AD Police
    Demon City Shinjuku
    Wicked City
    Bio Hunter
    Urotsukidoji - Legend of the Overfiend (extra caution)
    Cyber City Edo 808
    Rin Daughters of Mnemosyne
    Hokuto No Ken
    Shigurui
    Another
    Hellsing: The Dawn
    Hellsing Ultimate
    Genocyber
    Terra Formars
    Blood-C
    Berserk
    Parasyte
    Steins;Gate
    Deadman Wonderland
    Ergo Proxy
    InuYasha
    Samurai X
    Rurouni Kenshin
    Devil May Cry
    Spawn
    Outlaw Star
    Baccano!
    Hell Girl
    Witchblade
    Gangsta
    Paranoia Agent
    Gungrave
    Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade
    Sekirei
    Blue Gender
    Freezing
    Gunslinger Girl
    S-cry-ed
    Appleseed
    Sailor Moon
    Macross Plus
    Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom
    Speed Grapher
    Mononoke
    Planetes
    Gun Sword
    Tenjho Tenge
    Hunter X Hunter
    Perfect Blue
    Battle Royale
    Cube
    Big Wars
    Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
    Ok. that should keep those hungry for new & older but OP animes, warning 99% will wreck your children for ever catching a few scenes thinking its He Manish...
    I"ll work on an updated list of gems surely missed..
    Take care Dcuo m8s n ttyl. :p
    • Like x 1
  2. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Can you hear the siren :p
    • Like x 1
  3. willflynne 10000 Post Club

If you want some fun anime-related YouTube videos to check, I'd recommend the Insanimania videos put out by the Anime America channel. Pretty funny stuff using various audio clips with anime footage. I'd post some but some of the audio can be a little salty so I don't know for sure if it'd pass in the forums. LOL
  4. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Another one down, Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs is all done.

I think the best way to describe the show is how the reviewer on ANN's site described it:

Ultimately it's for fans of lurid content first, with some pretty good character interactions and individual stories as a side bonus.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/yuuna-and-the-haunted-hot-springs/episode-12/.137482

It helps tremendously that the characters themselves are fun to watch as they bounce off of one another (figuratively and literally LOL). Kogarashi is a good male lead for a harem show, Yuuna is sweet and while the others tend to fall into the archetypes/stereotypes you can see in anime they were presented really well. Plus the opening and closing songs are nice and catchy without being too annoying.

Overall it's a fun show, especially if you happen to be a fan of harem animes like I am. If you can deal with the fanservice and some of the clichés that come with harem shows it's worth a look.
  5. DCUO Post Loyal Player

Been reading the Goblin Slayer manga series. Just found out its part of the Fall Anime line up. :eek:

• Like x 2
  6. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I never thought I'd see an anime that includes the last request of a dying man being that someone make sure his hard drive gets wiped AND a tsundere dragon, but then I watched That Time I Got Reincarnated As A Slime. :D

I think I'm gonna like that one.
  7. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

Today is the day, A certain Magical Index 3 comes out. This is one of the best anime out there. A must see for all anime lovers
  8. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Oh good heavens, this could be interesting. SD versions of characters from Konosuba, Overlord, RE:Zero and The Saga of Tanya the Evil all thrown together into the same show?

[IMG]

Yes, this is actually a show that's happening next year, apparently.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...ord-re-zero-tanya-konosuba-franchises/.137803

It'd be worth watching just to see the Konosuba characters bouncing off of everyone else. :D
    • Like x 1
  9. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Oh Lords! The Chibi Wars have begun!!
    • Like x 1
  10. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Was told about Gunbuster a couple days ago, and just finished watching all 6 episodes (the last episode is a total heart buster)
    • Like x 1
  11. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

Has everyone heard that A certain scientific Railgun is also getting a 3rd season and A certain scientific accelerator is getting his 1st anime. Now this is great news everyone
  12. willflynne 10000 Post Club

You know, I'm getting the feeling that you're a bit of a fan of the series. o_O

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D It's always cool to see good news coming about a series you like, so congrats. :)
    • Like x 1
  13. willflynne 10000 Post Club

So I finally sat down and finished up watching Master of Ragnarok.

*sigh*

I was probably more hopeful than I should have been going into the last couple of episodes. They finally started doing some interesting stuff with the story about 9-10 episodes in (beyond the harem antics) and episode 11 was surprisingly solid.

Then the last episode faceplanted.

SPOILERS!!!!!

After raising the stakes in the time Yuuto was sent to (more of a time travel story than a sent to another world), they spend most of the last episode concentrating on Yuuto being reunited with Mitsuki (his childhood friend) and only hinting at what happened in Yuuto's absence. And while we get a very heartfelt exchange of emotions between Yuuto and Mitsuki, it leaves a whole minute or two to try and resolve all that was happening in the past.

And they use what amounts to a "he returns and everything works out happily ever after" ending. All the stuff that was interesting and was actually setting it apart got glossed over.

Had they tried I think they could have balanced out the harem aspects and the other stuff decently and made an overall good show. But to me it just came out uneven and tripped over itself coming into the finish. Not one that I can recommend.
    • Like x 1
  14. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

More good news everyone, my favorite above of all favorites anime has just been announced for release of a movie. Saga of Tanya the Evil. This is my favorite anime and I was hoping for a second season, however a movie will be great as well. It will be release in Japan on Feb. 8th 2019. Not sure when it comes over to the States.
  15. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Ok, quick impressions of shows I've checked out so far, setting aside Reincarnated as a Slime.

Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai-Kind of an interesting show so far. I've seen some comparisons made to My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU, but with the element of the Puberty/Adolescent Syndrome (can't remember which term they use more) in the show I think I'd throw in some of the early feel I got from Charlotte.

Skull-Face Bookseller Honda-san- Short series (episodes run about 10-11 minutes) that anyone who's ever worked retail/customer service jobs will appreciate. The variety of faces among Honda's co-workers is pretty interesting too.

Conception-Okay, this is probably the trashy show of the season. LOL Harem and "sent to another world" elements combined where the protagonist has to save the world by impregnating a group of girls so the children he sires can fight the monsters threatening the world. To their credit they aren't really trying to tiptoe around it or be ashamed of it, so I can respect that. It knows what it is and isn't afraid of it. Given a couple of characters, though, I could see Funimation having a ball with a dub for that show. It's too easy to see Jamie Marchi as a featured character. :D

Bloom Into You-A yuri romance show, but it looks like it might avoid some of the usual tropes or clichés you might see in a show like that. I'm interested to see how it develops.

As Miss Beelzebub Likes It-Huh. I never knew Hell was a cutesy, pastel-colored land where Beelzebub looks like this.

[IMG]

It's definitely an odd take on demons and Hell. :D If they can find the right balance between the fanservice and cute stuff (blossoming romance seems to be hinted at strongly for three different couples) it could be fun.
    • Like x 1
  16. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

I just started episode 1 on Magical Girl Site and the 1st episode broke my heart. Looking forward to episode 2.
  17. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

A friend from my local anime shop recommended it to me since I bought the Berserk blu ray. I started reading the manga and I like the dark fantasy aspect but the very first chapter hits you like a ton of bricks because it shows you what type of world it is. Needless to say, it ain't for the faint of heart but I still will check out the anime too.
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  18. willflynne 10000 Post Club

"Ain't for the faint of heart" might be something of an understatement, from what I've heard. After reading some of the first episode reviews on ANN, I wasn't too surprised to learn that Crunchyroll has now put an advisory warning on at least the first episode.

From what I've read it's not quite my cup of tea, but to each their own. You could be in for quite the tone clash if you compare Goblin Slayer's goblins to the ones depicted in the second and third episodes of Reincarnated as a Slime, though. LOL
    • Like x 1
  19. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

I saw that the anime Reincarnated as a Slime was included in my recommended list in my anime app but I thought the title sounded silly. I'll have to check it out. As for Goblin Slayer, I have begun seeing the anime and yeah, it went there but it's not as bad as some people make it out to be. Yes it deals with certain things that can be uncomfortable but the manga and slightly the anime, portray how difficult and unforgiving the world of Goblin Slayer can be, especially a world with magic and monsters. The gore, the unfortunate things that happened are explained properly with details.
    • Like x 1
  20. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Reincarnated as a Slime can be a little silly, but so far they're doing a really good job with the world building and setting things up. It probably helps that it's going to be a 24 episode show so they can take some more time in setup, so the pace is a little slower. But I've found the show to be pretty entertaining so far and an interesting twist on isekai stories.

That and Rimuru is just a freaking adorable little slime. :D
    • Like x 1