The Anime Thread

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Free2BeMe, Jul 21, 2014.

1. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

Voltron season 7 is coming on 8/10/18 \o/
    • Like x 1
  2. willflynne 10000 Post Club

3. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

Don't forget that Voltron season 7 comes out today. Angels of Death so far is turning out to be a good anime. Really enjoying Steins Gate0.
  4. ezkiolandgamer New Player

Seen:
    Pokemon bw/xy/xyz/sun and moon
    Naruto
    Naruto Shippuden
    Aho girl
    My hero academia
    Dbz
    Fate/liner

Plan to finish:
    Fate/liner
    Aho girl
    My hero academia

Favorite:
    My hero academia
    • Like x 1
  5. Chaos Evolution Devoted Player

just stopped by to say i watched the full first season of one punch man i thought it was good.
    • Like x 2
  6. Batrederik Dedicated Player

i grew up watching Silverfang

7. Batrederik Dedicated Player

silver fang is from the 90s ..

it is not for Sensitive Souls . But i grew up watching it** "BEST ONE. i also love the music
    • Like x 1
  8. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

It was a really good anime, I am hoping for a season 2
    • Like x 1
  9. willflynne 10000 Post Club

• Like x 2
  10. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

• Like x 1
  11. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Bit overdue for a post here. :oops:

So my "frustration" show for the summer season has become something of a toss-up between ISLAND and Master of Ragnarok.

ISLAND got frustrating for me because it seems like they've rushed through a lot of story-telling that may be in the game/visual novel it's based on. It's made it tough to connect with the characters and their relationships. Add in the show going whole hog onto some sci-fi elements (which I've seen done better) and it's making it tough to finish things out. But on the plus side, the Funimation dub includes Alexis Tipton being a tsundere and Austin Tindle and Jad Saxton bouncing off of one another again with their characters. :D

Master of Ragnarok has been frustrating because it's taken nine episodes to become interesting. I had some hopes for it, but they really didn't do anything different with the harem elements and the action sequences and power use haven't been all that thrilling. It's taken the hints of some political intrigue at the end of episode eight and something of an info dump about Norse mythology in episode nine for my interest to really be piqued.

Oh well, can't always pick winners in the shows I want to watch. LOL
    • Like x 1
  12. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

I am so looking forward to A certain Magical Index 3 \o/
  13. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Hey Everyone
    Just wanted to add random funny moments for the yandere lovers out there :p
    • Like x 2
  14. willflynne 10000 Post Club

From the looks of it (no preview at the end, anyhow) How Not To Summon A Demon Lord finished up.

It was definitely a different take on the "sent to another world" scenario, and not just because of the heavy fan service at times. :D Having Diablo basically playing the role of Demon Lord in his interactions with others while still being a socially awkward loner with some issues to deal with on the inside. Some of it is played well for laughs, but there is some decent exploration of how he got that way in the first place as well.

They also do a decent job of balancing out how powerful he is. It isn't played up as a straight-up power fantasy too much, as some of his fights are pretty close and there's always some consequence for him using so much power in battle (drained of strength and ambition, usually).

There's some harem aspects to it (especially when it comes to the end of the last episode LOL), but overall I think they handled it better than most. The interest in Diablo by Rem and Shera comes about relatively organically and in spite of Diablo's awkwardness, and even though a lot of it comes with some heavy doses of fanservice it works pretty well.

Overall I liked the show and the stories they told in the series. It's not a five star show but it's definitely better than you might think from looking at any promo art or character designs, and the dub so far has been pretty good as well (Jad Saxton as Rem and Sarah Wiedenheft as Shera work really well). There's a decent chance it'll end up in my collection.
    • Like x 2
  15. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

I am on episode 7 and i am really liking this anime
    • Like x 1
  16. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Another one down, Chio's School Road finished up.

I think if I had to describe it, I'd probably say it's nice, quirky, and off-beat with some really good comedic moments. Watching Chio (and sometimes her friends) get themselves deep into situations through their own bad decisions and/or behavior and then try and wriggle out of them relatively unscathed works for some really good funny moments.

I think what's really good about the show is the way they portray the friendship between Chio and Manana. It's not some idealized kind of thing, but pretty honest and closer to how best friends might act with each other in real life. Yes they are best friends and will help each other when they can, but they also bust each others' chops and will not hesitate to make the life of their best friend a little hellish if they think the results would be hilarious. Sure, it's horrible behavior but it's also very human.

I don't know yet if it's going to be one to add to the collection (although I'm sure cast commentary tracks would be fun to listen to LOL), it's definitely worth a watch if you want something fun to pass the time.
  17. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

I was watching the series when it popped up in my new anime notifications. While the fan service and innuendo can be...:rolleyes: The show has interesting themes and the comedy works but when the show starts getting serious, it does. I'm with Willflynne, I would recommend the show.
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  18. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Okay, Asobi Asobase also finished up its run.

Wow. :confused: I'm almost afraid of saying ANYTHING about the show because it might spoil things. The comedy, though? Awesome. I enjoyed Chio's School Road along with Asobi Asobase for some lighter fare, but Asobi Asobase cracked me up consistently. They commit to their jokes (from the opening of the show to even the closer and previews) and they refer back to those jokes even in later episodes. It's a tightly written solid show, even if a lot of the humor is juvenile in nature.

That being said, the humor itself and the style they use to deliver that humor might not be for everyone. Personally it was right up my alley as I've always liked shows that can go a bit bonkers. So mileage will vary as far as that goes.

I'd recommend it simply because I got some really good laughs out of the show. Just be prepared for the weird. :D
  19. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Another one down, finished up ISLAND.

It's not one I can really recommend, unfortunately. The story felt rushed at times and in it they tried using a time travel mechanic that really needed more time or effort put into it. With them apparently rushing through things it was tough to connect with the characters as well, especially when they tried a shift in time periods. Even though they had a good cast for the dub I just couldn't stick with the show enough to want to watch it in either version. It even took a little effort to finish out the Japanese version to clean it out of my queue.

They really tried, but ISLAND just kind of fell flat for me.
    • Like x 1
  20. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

I forgot to mention to everyone but a all time favorite is coming out on October 5th I think the date should be correct. "A Certain magical Index 3" (Season 3). This is long time waiting for all us index and railgun fans. Hope everyone watches it or get caught up on the 1st two seasons.