Thankyou players who don't switch powers every few months

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Axel7822, Jul 26, 2014.

1. ACE FREHLEY Well-Known Player

I like the cut of your jib, sir! I will give you one of these:
    [IMG]
    • Like x 3
  2. HazeTA New Player

Mental for 3 years. If they mess my power up in the AM revamp I wont switch powers... i'l quit the game...
  3. KidMidnight Loyal Player

n00b.

:p

i wasn't arguing with you at all. just chiming in myself. do whatever you want.

as long as its consensual.
    • Like x 1
  4. houseofcantor New Player

Besides, didn't Lex Luthor give us exobytes to defeat Brainiac? He didn't say "be electric," he said "be super, and get the job done by whatever means necessary." ;)

...of course, I paraphrased.
  5. Radiohead New Player

didn't lightning strikes come out in December of 2011? I'm pretty sure it hasn't even been 3 years since that dlc lmao
  6. Aqua Surge Loyal Player

People know what I mean, and really my toon was created on Dec 31st, 2011 to present day. That why she's missing the Back from the hack feat although I was affected by it. :(
  7. Craven Green Loyal Player

Mental Troll since April 16th 2011. Big prop to all the other players I know who love their power and stay with it.
    • Like x 3
  8. Green Lantern New Player

HL for life, nerf after nerf.
    • Like x 1
  9. SoulflyMike42 New Player

Few months isn't nothing lol. I have league mates change while in a raid. Changing powers can be beneficial for smart players, as they learn power interactions and mechanics that could help them knowing so.

But me personally do not want to try out quarterback, wide receiver, linebacker, kicker, punter, etc. I just wanna master 1 position so that I am known for doing great at that position. People can depend on me to Troll because that's what I have done forever and love it
    • Like x 1
  10. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

When I create my character I want him or her to use only that powerset and nothing else. I see no reason for switching like other do. I simply enjoy playing that character the way I build him/her.

I created three characters to play the three type of support roles in the game. My favorite support role is Tank. Love being in the front of the fight, keep aggro, and helping my team staying alive by pulling enemies towards me and away from them...
    • Like x 1
  11. Radiohead New Player

lol i was just teasing =P
  12. Radiohead New Player

Aren't you named after the original FOTM league/player? GG
  13. King Atom New Player

Your welcome,even though electric is calling me away from my celes power.

Must resist.....
  14. GammaGreenLantern New Player

Forgot one

TargetTerror 102cr
  15. CrazyArtBrown Dedicated Player

Them's fanboy fighting words right there. Superman? That guy who used to jump really far, but now flies? The one whose powers changed around enough that there's a whole wikipedia page just on that subject? Makes me think someone kissed you and made you forget about the whole thing...

All of these characters have archetype-like aspects to their powers that are static over time, but the exact powers that fit into that have always been molded by the whim of the writers. Superman is always a strong alien dude, the rest is subject to change. Batman used to just shoot people and rely way more on the wacky Gadgets than the martial arts. Original Barry Allen Flash mainly ran around fast, then gained massive Speed Force powers extending to the "infinite mass punch". The lantern powers are not very static either.

On the Marvel side, there's Invisible Girl who did nothing else, then the one with force-fields. Women characters going through power changes are common enough to be a major part of the whole Women in Refrigerators topic, especially poor Ms. Marvel. Original Beast with simple animal-like powers, and later Beast--now with more hormonal extract!

Wolverine's claws are as fluid as his backstory, the Hulk's exact power set changes like his color, and the deal with Magneto and telepathic powers barely stays the same in successive issues. And then there's one of the most lauded stories in all of comics: the sad story of the Dark Phoenix. If you look carefully at Uncanny X-Men #101, you can make exactly where Chris Claremont buys her the power change token.
  16. Kharhaz Committed Player

I got the the same attitude as Earth. Especially during Origin Crisis.

I have stuck with my Earth power since I created it. I can say with the utmost confidence, I am one of the best tanks in the game due to playing the Earth power. I find it the most balanced tanking power there is. I have tried other tank powers. I will not dismiss them, as my role for so long now is tanking, and every power has an advantage/disadvantage.

Generally the ones who know best, are the loudest who actually know nothing. They just want to say "FIRE? tut tut" when I can guess these kind of players are the ones who are spending mummy and daddies money on the latest trend.

I find that players who stick with a power, usually know how to play better than the ones who constantly chop and change.
  17. Archangel Rafael New Player

These are great examples of how powers in comics may be developed or evolve over time. These examples also illustrate the dramatic difference between what happens in comics and dcuo power-swapping. In dcuo characters completely change their "archetype-like" powerset. Totally losing their old powers and gaining completely unrelated powers. This never happens in comics.

I don't know any comic characters who have completely changed powers like that, as I said with the exception of the short-lived and extremely unlikable energy-powers superman.

The Sue Storm didn't stop turning invisible and start being able to transform into a wolf, for example. Barry didn't stop being fast and start shooting lasers out of his eyes.

Like Phoenix, of course there are many stories where a character loses their powers, or trade powers with someone else, steal someone's powers, temporarily gain extra powers from some source like the "H" Dial or the Marvel "Captain COsmic" (? can't remember right name blue&white starfield costume).

What happens in comics is more like respec'ing. Powers are redefined or extrapolated or evolved, not completely changed into something totally different and unrelated.

Indeed comic characters are mostly defined by their powers. A comic book could never do that because the book would then be about something totally different. Almost all comic characters have names that basically define, describe and inform on their powers.

If any comic character had plant-growth powers and then changed into Iceman the book would be cancelled because the readers would hate it. It's hard to be called Animal Man and have a big "A" on your suit while you have zero powers that relate in any way to animals but you can fly around shooting fire.

It's just another little anti-comicy thing that bothers me a bit about DCUO. I really dislike most of the ugly non-comics-lookin armor too.

BTW - most of the power-weirdness surrounding Superman is really some attempt by DC to dodge some copyright issue relating to the S-man. The SilverAge thing where he could spontaneously generate a new power was done partially for copyright reasons as was the 90s electric-S. I also have suspicions that the garbage52 is partially copyright-cleanse motivated.
  18. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

Agreed 100% with this statement....If I wanna play another power, I simply play that power up, to learn it to its fullest potential...If I don't play it from level 1-30; I'm not gaining the full power knowledge, instead I'm simply starting out with a OP level 30 character I know little about...

If someone switches for feats and goes back to their original power, that is one thing; but switching to follow the most recent trend that is annoying... For instance, you are HL since day 1, rage comes out you switch...than Electricity gets a revamp and you wanna try that out, you switch...you don't like it much and hear about Fire update, you than switch again...these players annoy me as they may not understand how to get the most out of their powerset....

I been HL since I started playing with my primary toon; well actually I started off with Sorcery as a F2P player and didn't like it; notice DLC for Hard Light spent $5 got it and haven't looked back..My original toon only got to level 20, which I than deleted upon getting my first DLC....Have no complaints about HL, even after the update...I am now trying to get others to play differently and try different loadouts...most won't budge and continue with their power spamming ways of HL and wonder why they never end up as a top DPS....As for me, I don't care if I'm #1 or #4...as long as I'm not on the bottom or below one of the support roles, I'm good.

I play DCUO to have fun...