Tanking Prime 101.

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by Peacemakaz, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Zhouz Well-Known Player

You can't possibly be serious here. IF you know ANYTHING about the difference between aggro'ing and pulling, and have any respect for DPS's and how they set up DoTs, AOEs, and have any regard for minimizing raid time and maximizing DPS while preventing damage from going to your team, you would not say this about Resonating Gale.
  2. Pentac Active Player

Do you play ice? Have you tried using resonating gale on the drones? I have and have found it much more effective to get the drones on the ground and rooted than IS. With IS, they come down and float right back up (with immunity).

Resonating Gale + Inescapable Storm keeps them on the ground long enough for the dps to burn them down. RG is the better way in my opinion. I'm back to sorcery but I'm sure Zhouz would gladly show you how good it is, if you haven't tried it.
  3. Peacemakaz Committed Player

The technique I listed in my guide prevents that from happening. Inescapable storm followed up by bitter winds will leave the drones knocked back long enough for most groups to finish them off, since they will be tightly grouped, and on the floor. Resonating gale can possibly leave them on the ground for a long period of time, but it leaves the healer drones spread out, making it harder for the DPS to kill them fast.
  4. Pentac Active Player

I'm not disputing your way of doing it, but arguing that to kick a tank for using resonating gale is a bit extreme. Also, yes resonating gale will spread them out. But like Odsidian mentioned, you use inescapable storm or low pressure to round them up nicely. I'm pretty sure I've tried inescapable storm with bitter winds and have them go back up faster than if I were using resonating gale.

Again, it's about positioning and maybe that works, for me my way works and gets the job done. To get kicked out of the raid solely because I have RG on my loadout is extreme and childish.
  5. FeelsGood New Player

don't need a tank 4 prime
  6. blklightning New Player

I am SOOOO tired of over-geared players saying that we don't need tanks for this and that.
    • Like x 3
  7. Sytenia Committed Player

Or just use Fireball, Snowball or Stone which may even work better as it knocks the target over, the target then comes to you after they get back up, add all that and it takes them longer to start hitting you.
  8. Magnificent Loyal Player

Meta's big tentacle (*insert your own anatomy joke here*) is much easier to handle if you and your raid group just position Meta between you all and the tentacle (the tentacle can't hit through him). With his balls (*another joke opportunity*) being so lethal to squishies, it's best if the spread out a bit behind you (unless you have DPS that are melee'ing him, in that case they are on their own).

For Tech, if you tank anywhere near him he's going to aggro on you the vast majority of the time. He seems to do fewer aggro dumps than Magic and Meta so this means you get to be the center of red-dot and bunker-buster attentions. Again, this is going to play havoc with your melee DPS, but that's what healers and Block are for ;)

For Magic, as long as you are firing off a power every 4-5 seconds you'll do as good as can be done with keeping his aggro (he dumps a LOT during his lion phase). Just stay aware of when he summons puddles, grab aggro as soon as he summons pets (those fliers are especially nasty since they focus on your support crew) and keep a groupwide cleanse/breakout (if available) for when he does his circling bird move.

For Prime, I tank him in the center and usually start off by firing off a couple of powers right off the bat to make sure I get his attention. Save any pulls you may have for the healer bots and keep your SC's ready in case things get a little crazy. It also doesn't hurt to summon your sidekick to help take some of the pressure off your healers. As a tank, DON'T use henchmen as they end up just getting more in the way than being an actual help. If you get them to a high enough level, a sidekick can heal you, replenish your power AND taunt while also doing some decent damage.

For Fire Tanks, you want to have at least Burning Determination (for group-wide breakout/cleanse to defeat at least one of Magic's winged circlings), Burnout (personal breakout/cleanse) and Backdraft (or some other pull power) for Prime's healer drones (I use that and Enflame to help keep them downed while the team takes them out). Ideally you should have Eternal Flame loaded and charged in case he does that ^%# where he uses his Furnace, pops his astral pets and his healer drones all about the same time. In instances like this, it's your job to grab ALL of that aggro while the group recovers and 16 seconds of God Mode can be pretty handy for that.
  9. Magnificent Loyal Player

I don't use Fireball, but it does make for a great aggro-grabber if you have it loaded. The knockdown + setting the target on fire is quite handy.
  10. Black Jaq Devoted Player

Since we are on the subject of tentacle ****.. I personally have not used henchmen or sidekick in Prime, and have only completed it once. Can your Turf help be one-shotted as well?
  11. FeelsGood New Player

we dont. Don't need more than 1 healer either. But i'm lazy. don't worry tanks will get more appreciation when T5 drops.