Tank Vs Tank! Revamp Edition

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by L T, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Kryptonian Being Committed Player

Thank you. I just love how the enhanced belt, gloves and pants look. Don’t really like Johnny Quick chest style so for now he’s shirtless until I can find something to put on. In game name is Godslayer Radion.

You’re right, Beta Surge is fast but noticed the range isn’t as good. I’ll try Nuclear Burst. I took out my supercharge generator and added Electron Flare. I use it to get my aura quick. Once it’s up I use Density and clip with Proton Remedy. Not sure how to feel about a group breakout. Out of all my years of playing DCUO I rarely if any, use a group breakout. I’ll reconsider once I do elite content for sure.
  2. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Agreed. Electron flare as a tank is ok. To max the damage you need a dazing effect, so if your not using a consumable, or a power, it's not really worth it. Proton remedy really on needs to be used in elite stuff. The group breakout shortcut is the best, imo. Everyone outside of raids are juggled so much, the breakout just makes things faster because the dps don't get knocked out of their rotations. I have three specs and loadouts depending on the instance and whose healing me, lol. My battle tank loadout, which does great damage, is the melee combo that does a 360 pull, beta surge, breakout shortcut, robot sidekick, shield, and sonic cry. Sometimes I use electron flare instead of the shield. You can't run hybrid, very well, while damage tanking. At least in my attempts. Superpowered is the only way I don't run dry. Just normal tanking, hybrid is better. Your not clipping your combos in between each combo.
  3. Kryptonian Being Committed Player

Surprisingly I never once used a group breakout. I done elite alerts and never used one. Tried doing elite raids on my Rage tank but pugging is hard to to get a group for elite haha. However, I will consider a group breakout when my toon is more leveled up and has sufficient skill points. I don’t like hardlight shield. I think the cooldown yo long isn’t it? I use Energize instead of robot sidekick. Is Amazonian Deflection good for Atomic tanking?
  4. L T Devoted Player

Amazon Deflect isn't great for Atomic because you have to block and stay still or you lose the shield. You could probably make it work but atomic is better staying active imo.
    • Like x 1
  5. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Fortified, not HL shield.
  6. Kryptonian Being Committed Player

Good to know. Have you messed with the tank artifact? Does it boost health or do you receive a heal?
    Oh lol
  7. CarlynnCarnage 10000 Post Club

So the same as before the revamp. ;)
    • Like x 1
  8. L T Devoted Player

yeah more or less.
    • Like x 1
  9. VioletSorceress Committed Player

Great thread and useful info for anybody who want to tank raids!

Key thing about Fire tanking is making it work with just 1 pull power and fill the rest of the LO with defensive stuff. That is pretty much the case for all tanks though.

It is problematic that adds always need to have Burning Pi applied and things like HL shield and Burning Determination wont apply that, so Ive dropped Backdraft for good and only using 2Handed weapon Hold attacks for power regen, control and countering clipped with Engulf+ Shield/Self Heal. I have Fortified Attack mod but usually would mix attacking and blocking in a 40:60 ratio. I also use Explosive block ( OMFG!! :D ) cause if I have to resort to blocking it is a real bad **** situation, so you might say its like advanced dodging mechanic that way.

The remedy for Fire would be increasing self healing potency while not blocking cause active tanking is really lacking.

Id say that Earth Aftershocks tanking also needs bigger Defense increase while not blocking or Totem should heal tank when there is no Pet used.
  10. L T Devoted Player

Thanks for the kind words.

Personally I can't imagine fire tanking without backdraft. That having been said, I do almost no Fire tanking these days.

Amazon Deflection works really well with Fire though. Pretty sure Moja uses HL shield in his "all is well" calculation with respect to Earth and Fire active tanking.

I would say Fire needs a straight up restoration buff like it used to have. Sadly, the powers that be disagree.

Totem healing an active Earth Tank is an excellent idea.
    • Like x 2
  11. VioletSorceress Committed Player

Yeah popping Immunity then Amazonian Deflection is like the strongest thing ever no matter how you are specced as tank, I dont think anything can kill you. Its just that AD is very defensive and I try to attack as much as possible. HL shield on the other hand should be at every tank loadout, I even dropped Immunity from my Rage tank to free spot for HL shield.

My Fire LO is: HL Shield, Engulf, Immolation, StokeFlames, BurningDetermination, Burnout.
    I guess if I need to tank something very hard Id go full blocking, so I could drop Burnout here for Amazonian Deflection cause Im used to breakout really fast and that would also trigger 10% defense from Back HT mod.

Ive used AD as a 5th shield with my Ice tank and I gotta say it is amazing. Unfortunately for Ice tanks, Shatter Restrains is super weak nowadays.
    Ive also used AD as a safety button with my pure Aftershock LO but It wasnt as versatile as having Brick out.

It would be great if Enflame had some healing/ shielding tank role effect cause it could set on fire multiple adds for as long as its active. For alerts and easier raids, Backdraft and Enflame could easily replace Engulf and Burning Determination/Burnout.
  12. Cyro Committed Player

The devs are against buffing fire?
  13. Korlick Loyal Player

But now is weaker.
  14. L T Devoted Player

I have not been able to convince them that Fire Tanking is in need of a buff.
  15. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Maybe not every tank. My mains atomic. If I run as just a tank, no damage moves. I already have the best SC as a tank, which is a shield/break out for the group and fortify, which is a shield with CC resistance. I can't really see a need for HL shield, unless doing something like a new elite raid, and being under geared, or some high round of SM.

Really stinks that fire tanking is as bad, sorry, weak as it is. I know some people that were beast damaging fire tanks back in the day. From the beginning of the game thru T5. Sorry fire users.
  16. Bishopp New Player

I'm a fairly casual player who has chosen Earth tank as may main based largely on these test results (Rage appealed to be but I doubted I could handle the rage crash). I wanted to verify I'm understanding the recommendations regarding specs and confirm my loadout:

earthen grip - epicenter - gemstone shield - brick - fortify golem - soothing sands

stat points - hybrid, 20 critical healing, 20 critical healing chance, the rest in health

weapon - get WM

And block your way through boss attacks.

is this basically correct?

Suggestions, advice, etc. much appreciated.
  17. Cyro Committed Player

Ok so in my experience as an earth tank, brick dies a lot mainly because healers dont try to keep pets alive so brick wont be getting that much healing so i would recommend using totem to heal brick to keep him alive. Of course if you arent doing elite content it isnt that big of a deal. Most content doesnt really call for an aoe pull, really it would only be useful on adds so i would switch it out on bosses if you think it will be truly useful, personality i never have an aoe pull on my bar with the exception of gome second boss. Also totem basically functions as an aoe taunt anyway.

I have no idea how many sp you have or the content you plan to do but putting sp into healing crits beyond the bare minimum amount to get down to health is abit of a waste, you wont be seeing a massive difference between putting 20 sp or 40. I would dump everything into health than dom and make sure to have 1 sp in resto since 80 resto for one sp is a great deal.
    • Like x 1
  18. Bishopp New Player

Very helpful. I only have about 50 SP (CR 71 atm) so none to spare. And I never considered the totem before but it make good sense on boss fights.
  19. Drathmor Unwavering Player

I always love reading your tank breakdowns dude great job as always
  20. Cyro Committed Player

L T have you found the defense formula yet and do you happen to know the shield multiplier for hard light shield