Tank power sets

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Imsms08, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Imsms08 New Player

I have to say as a tank power set player I find it truly dishearting how the tank power sets are treated.

On the dps side they are all extremely limited and lacking.

Fire, am is extremely bad, damage is lacking badly and set up time is to long.
    Ice, am isn't ok, just boring and does desent damage if up close.
    Earth, pet am is a joke
    Rage, melee am won't work in end game content, only has 1 ranged combo to spam for decent damage

Tank side you have Ice and rage that shine while fire and earth, while still able to tank end game content don't do so as effectively.

Then you look at the troll power set and you see it have all troll sets performing around the same, the edge still goes to Quantiam with the best stun and teleport to escape.

The dps side is great now also, Quantiam and how munitions is performing on test are neck and neck.
    HL and Gadgets preform close to similar damage and leaves only mental being short changed dps wise.

If you wonder why tanks are always the hardest to find it's because the dps side of it either doesn't deal enough damage or lacks creativity.
    • Like x 9
  2. Imsms08 New Player

I like to play both rolls and put my armories to use, but tank power set dps side of things sucks
  3. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

I never had a problem producing decent damage numbers with any power set. The problem is the community makes one power looks OP and another looks weak. What happens is the skill or lack thereof by players result in some powers being called OP and others require major rework.

Out of all the AM; the only ones that need some serious tweaking are Earth,Sorcery, Fire, Mental and Electric. These powers need some tweaking to the AM. I have seen the good damage from the powersets but the players do not use the powerset AM, but those rotations burn through power and require good trolls, which is why powers like HL and Quantum are preferred as DPS powerset due to the minimum usage of power and high damage output.
    • Like x 2
  4. Imsms08 New Player

Dont think it the committees problem for picking powers that are performing the best.
    I'm all power set when played optimally can produce desent damage but still not perform of the level as other powers.

It makes no sense how the powers can be so far apart from the top end powers. Top end would be quantum, celestial and soon to be munitions when the devs can test to damage the same why the testers do with these dps charts. If guys like kaiser can show how power sets preform against each other in optimal setting, rotation and similar gear then the devs should be able to do the same. I'm failing to see how every power set isn't not preform around the same level when you can just set the bar to quantims and munitions level and bring everything up to it.
  5. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

I really do not get how players think that Kaiser video show real in game production. It doesn't. It does not take into account the interuption or other things that may happen when playing the game. I have seen some good damage in those video but he is simply standing there hitting the sparing targets. He is not moving about or dealing with adds popping up behind you or dealing with stoping a rotation to pick someone up or walking over supply drops or other things that adjust actual damage. I pay no attention to his loadouts or videos because when push comes to shove, I rather create a loadout that works for me, keep me alive and helps me get my job done, even if it cost me a bit in damage.
    • Like x 2
  6. kAiSeR007 Dedicated Player

Of course the sparring target comparisons don't measure events like interruptions, pick ups, walking over supplies (?), or whatever situation that may cause you to stop your rotation. But, a real play scenario doesn't account players skill, hardware, internet connection, gear equality, SP disparities, etc. The variables are much more and totally uncontrollable in a real scenario, so the close you'll ever get to compare powers is in front of those sparrings despite you like it or not ;)
  7. Imsms08 New Player

Your right they don't give the same potential as in a raid, however they allow for the optimimial conditions for a dps to preform. When testing anything it's key to have the same conditions and you can't produce the same conditions in a raid, to many variables. On the dummies you have a controlled test environment. No interruptions and unlimited power. If power sets can't perform around the same level here then it is highly likely it won't do well in raid settings, which so far has been the case.

Good players can make the most out of a power set don't get me wrong, but that doesn't make the power set good. On test quantim and munitions are neck and neck in terms of dps in the controlled dummy tests and all current powers and future powers should be designed to match current performance.

There is no excuse that the devs can not do this when one they pulled it off with quantim and munition. Then you have players on test who can clearly indicate if a power set is preforming to that level. I refuse to believe that the devs are unable to test power sets to the same extent the testers do on their free time when this is their game and not a pass time or hobby.
    • Like x 1
  8. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

Actually my nature rotatio burns through so much power that the sparing targets do not do it for me. Sorry but there are some rotations that just require too much power that the power back from the sparring target is not enough. I can keep up with a Quantum DPS using my Nature loadout but requires 2 really good trolls. I have been in instances with 2 115 trolls that were not doing enough power dumps and my power bar quickly depleted.

Same can be said for my Rage toon.

Some powers to obtain maximum damage requires a high level of power back and other like Quantum does not require much at all.
  9. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

Yes but the issue with the sparring target and some DPS players rotation is power. I know with my Nature toon loadout the sparring target power back is not enough for me and sorry but that is the truth. The sparring targets are only useful if your rotation does not burn through power fast and unforuntately I require two excellent trolls, as does a league mate for his electric rotation.

The sparring target comparison are a joke as well due to the fact that you are attacking 3 or 5. Try the same rotations on 1, 3, and 5 enemy and that is how your comparison should be conducted; based on overall results not just a single round. I know some powers gaina advantage over others based on the number of adds and other gain advantage on single targets. If you do 3 test with the various adds the test would be more conclusive due to the change in number of adds.

These are reasons why I typically ignore vidoes comparing powers are due to the reason above along with that is now how instances actually occur. Also, I have played with HL 114 toons using your so called Hybred rotation and they focused soley on damage and did not help with the instance items like I did but I ended up beating them with my rotation. So, when things like this happens I question how effective some of your rotations really are.

If you do not mind, I was wondering if you can compare my rotation to your HL Hybred rotation.

My rotation is this. Sidekick Robot Out before I start any fight.

Than the rotation is this...Trinket to Fan, to Chomppaer to Grasping Hand back to Fan
    HL combo from Fan is this...

Fan - Impact - GH - LB - Mini Guns - Ram - Fan

I wonder how my rotation will compare. The second my trinket is out, I pop it again and rinse repeat what I have above....

Let me know how that compares to your rotation. I am curious as I do not have access to the Test Server.

Oh and I do not use WM at all. I skip that...I find I crit more often with my powers if I skip WM moves.
  10. Derio 15000 Post Club

I agree with the OP 100%
  11. Imsms08 New Player

Again it's a controlled test environment, don't have enought power on your own, have a controller group up with you and feed you power.

The whole reason the 3 set dummies are used is because the power return is greater then the solo target, you get to test aoe abilities which is the bulk of every dps load out since you are nearly always fighting more then one target. Lastly the are close together so moves like fires overheat (super small AoE size) will hit all three targets.

These tests give you an accurate dps reading, by timing how long it takes you to kill the targets. There is no other way currently in game to accurately measure damage per second while not being being interrupted or having power issue (again it's ok to have a controller feeding you if needed)

If you want to start adding supply drops and trinkets you can but that's only for short bursts and the tests are for seeing what the power set can do not what the buffs can help them do.

If you want your load out tested make a video of it and maybe a test server guy will test it and show the graph recording how much damage it's actually doing. On PS4 we only cam test damage based on our own perception can can't use the graphs like they can on test. Wish we could.
  12. Imsms08 New Player

Just to get this thread back on track the tank power sets as a whole aren't preforming and seek to get little to no attention.
    Fire and earth have to burn through power with wm to try and keep up. Ice has an am that does desent damage mid ranged but only has you soaking 1 power nearly the while time, frustrating when muntuons gets a while rotation of channels to uses that all benefit from damage increase when closer to the targets. Rage on test seems like it will push out the most damage but again is just spaming one power the whole time. Even if fires am did do damage it would be the same as ice but just mass Det spaming.

Point is tank set powers are lacking in damage and creativity. The core mechanics are revolving around spaming one move for mediocre damage.

This is focused on AM's and compared to both players of the same skill level and gear. As well as being tested on test on the 3 dummies dps test.

I love the way quantim and muntuons are heading. They perform damage wise and actually have you use your full load out bar. It's fun having a actual rotation to perform over one power spam or wm power spam. Would love to see all power sets follow suit.
  13. BigAl Devoted Player

I know of a Quantum rotation that uses only 4 powers, the rest are filler and/or supercharge. But, you are correct on some level with tank power sets lacking a bit on the dps side. All powers have potential to do good damage in the right hands...but not all will get the max numbers.
    This, is basically how I play as well. I do what works for me, I could care less if I top the boards.
  14. YinChakra Dedicated Player

I agree, I really enjoy tanking but the DPS to the powers either have an extremely boring /simple AM's or none at all...(earth) my last hope is in Experimental Serums. Based of what's been said it looks like Serums will have a self healing/ high defence options looking good for tanking. I just hope the DPS side isn't all melee like rage, I hope it has a variety of option for mid-ranged / ranged DPS.
  15. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

I use to be Earth and enjoy its DPS side moreso than Ice or Rage, it has a bit more for Ranged attack but truly lack for damage out when compared to what Rage can do with melee after the update.

I'm looking forward to Serums as well.
    • Like x 1
  16. Imsms08 New Player

Yeah their wm side is a lot stronger then their am side, super power hungry. However it's still not too tier damage. All wm damage are around the same with the exception of sorcery (2h wm) producing top tier damage
  17. redwolfyogi Well-Known Player

I love using Fire to death, however i have had many league mates ask me to switch powers because the DPS isn't reaching up to everyone else. I even had a buddy of mine (both of us 114 CR and only spec'd 150 SP) run the Fire AM vs WM all might spec for mods using 2H for WM. The damage difference was insane but the fact that my power bar was gone before 1 rotation. But in T6 raids with 2 good trolls I can keep up with some pretty good dps powers. I stay away from solo troll raids because I blow through 3 or 4 stacks of colas It's just a hassle.