System Memory issue

Discussion in 'Game Support' started by TheDrone, Aug 13, 2017.

1. TheDrone Well-Known Player

This problem is new for me, having popped up for the first time within the last week.

When I first start the game up, it shows that DCUO is using about 600-800MB. Over time, it goes up. Eventually, it goes over 1.5GB, at which point, I start getting a warning that my system is running out of resources. Soon after, it crashes. This has been happening almost every time I play the game and crashes after 20-40 minutes.

I can't figure out why I'm getting this large increase in system memory usage. Have they silently increased the system recommendations? Or is there some issue with my computer that's likely causing this?

Minimum Recommended System Requirements
    • Processor: P4 3.0GHz or AMD equivalent
    • Memory: 1GB
    • Graphics: nVidia 7800+, or ATI (AMD) 1950 or greater (comparison chart)
    • Network: Broadband Internet Connection required
    • Hard Drive: 30GB of free hard drive space
  2. Taerie Active Player

i've ran dcuo on some pretty awful systems when away from home on trips and stuff - is it possible that the revamp patch reset some of your texture quality settings that you had lowered in the past?

that's where i'd start - the game's capable of running pretty skinny , i've ran dwf on my laptop with xp and an onboard intel chip with 1gb of ram - had to drop the res down to like 370x??? and it looked horrendous but had no issues with it crashing

i have noticed that the game is using about 100mb more memory at startup than it was pre-revamp , but i cant say for sure if i got my settings back exactly like they were when migrating over to a different user on this pc
  3. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

I recommend more than 2 GB RAM. It is unpleasant and unstable to run at 2 GB.

As the lowest graphiccard it should be Intel Integrated HD 4000. Most recent graphiccards can potentially run DCUO, but some (especially NVDIA GTX) will not run well on default driver settings for old games like DCUO.
    A gamer created the NVIDIA inspector with many presets for old and new games, because the default driver is... hard to handle.

Btw: Depending on the language version and number of installed language versions, DCUO can be more than 40 GB large.
  4. Miss Adora Loyal Player

how much memory does your computer have? I think the game requires 2 gig of ram. One problem I have with my computer, I have 4 gigs of ram but without the game it's at 2.3. I'm still able to play dcuo but I have to limit on what I do on the game to make sure it doesn't go over a certain amount of memory.
  5. TheDrone Well-Known Player

I've got 2GB which I realize is quite low for today's standards. However, the Minimum requirements are 1GB and so I should be fine. The problem is that the game isn't actually running for me at 1GB. It starts below 1GB and rapidly rises to 1.5GB. That suggests to me that 1GB should not be listed as the Minimum requirements or there's something wrong with my computer. Again, this wasn't happening to me a week ago.
  6. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

The miniumum requirements are for minimum graphic settings.

2 GB are definetely needed for normal graphc setttings and a modern (1000p) screen resolution.
    Upgrade or cut the graphics do minimum, including resolution. Especially lowering object details and removing shadows will help. And yes, that will look like crap.

You can also disable titles and league names, but I am not sure if that has a big impact on performance.

I run DCUO on normal settings at a resolution of roughly 1000 X 1800 and my 2 GB RAM is full. DCUO will crash or fail to run properly if I run any program in the background, even music or Internet Explorer. I tried game recording... let's just say it was a terrible idea. I did not upgrade from WIndows 7 to Windows 10 for the same reason.
  7. Korvyne Committed Player

Whether you have a laptop or a desktop, changing the ram is easy and pretty accessible. (Turn off and remove battery or power cord, locate ram, pull old one out and slot new one in, turn back on)
    There's little point going above 4Gb ram on a win 32 bit or if you have 64 bit it's up to you.

When I played on my low spec laptop I used a cooler which helped to ease the heat and helped quite a bit too.
  8. Light Gegi New Player

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-2864547/manage-virtual-memory-pagefile-windows.html

Make sure that the pagefile is not unchecked. Who ever unchecked it, needs a slap, it pisses me the **** off if someone change things where he/she didn´t got knowledge from. There is just one moment you can deactivate it and that´s if you got more then 8GB of ram. Every area you go, the engine will load more data into your ram, which means if it can´t write on your harddrive when the ram gets in trouble, it will crash.
  9. TheDrone Well-Known Player

My pagefile was unchecked. I'll see if that makes a difference.

Somewhat unrelated question...or it might be quite related...not sure. I'm not bad with computers, but hardware isn't really my thing. So, when I look at my System info, it says I have 6.00GB (5.40GB usable) of Installed Memory. When I open the Task Manager, it shows that I'm at 100% memory usage at about 2.5GB. Why is this? Is this completely normal and Installed Memory is unrelated to memory usage? Or is something wrong? Thanks
  10. Light Gegi New Player

Would have to know a bit more information about your system, but it seems like you´re running a 32bit Windows Edition, you could unlock the Ram lock with a patch, but 32bit OS is not optimized for Multicore architecture. So make sure you´re running a 64bit version of Windows. If you got an Intel graphic card, there could be a problem with dedicated ram.
  11. TheDrone Well-Known Player

Windows 8
    Processor: AMD A6-5400K APU with Radeon HD Graphics 3.60 GHz
    Installed memory (RAM): 6.00 GB (5.40 GB usable)
    System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
  12. Light Gegi New Player

Alright, press Windows-Button+R type in "services.msc", enter.
    Now search the service "Windows Search" and deactivate it.
    Second service "Superfetch" deactivate.
    Make sure there is no program running in background, with Windows 8-10 there are massive problems with memory leaks or high CPU,Disk usage, mostly it´s cause of a to low pagefile, so make also sure it´s over 10.000MB.
    Edit: Update your graphics and Network adapter drivers.
    If all of this doesn´t helped and you didn´t have any programm running in background, it will be a virus.
    Just by the way, go back to Windows 7.
  13. TheDrone Well-Known Player

Did all of that (except switching to Windows 7) and I'm no longer getting the crashes.

Thanks a lot.