Switch Merge

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by KingFLT, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Yass Queen Hyppolyta Dedicated Player

The question was whether or not there's a correlation and/ or reasons why a Switch US/ EU merge could happen.

And no offense but you haven't listed anything aside from just some vague "I can't say" business. That kind of flex is not that helpful tbh.
  2. Huge New Player

This also makes grouping for content very awkward, having low and odd numbers forces people to run the same content multiple times which can be tedious. The population is significantly low and in dire need of a merge otherwise we will eventually stop playing and the server will be deserted.
  3. Queenofthevirgo New Player

Yeah it’s sad it’s a small group of 12 15 holding on. Hoping that there will be a merge even if it’s with US. It’s crazy how many good players I have seen leaving the game with high stats and spending a lot of money just cause running anything has become hard. It sucks that it was launched on the switch with these amazing goals and potential just to die out like this
  4. Tacca Well-Known Player

I would’ve thought merging us and Eu servers would be done on their anniversary. I dunno I was hoping at least.
  5. AveryWren New Player

It would have been nice is they had merged and I dont think it would take much to merge US and EU as it is on the same platform the ultimate thing I would like to see is a merge with another platform to.
  6. Queenofthevirgo New Player

Yh I was hoping for the same
  7. PatronusNSDCUO New Player

Would like to add I've seen a fair amount of people on social media now agree with our cause. Some of those include US server players who want the merge too.
  8. rebelheart88 New Player

It’s been going for ages on switch and it’s dead I felt like I was playing a dying game, I bet most people have never raided, it’s hard to do anything even low level content. They need merge the servers before the game dies completely. I can be on all day and nothing, even watch tower is dead
  9. Littlejaytee16 Committed Player

I support a merging of the EU and US servers. Not so much a merge with other platforms.
  10. Brit Loyal Player

My Switch account main is currently at CR308. I have run only 1 piece of 8-man content ever. It was the Anniversary Event fight on Antimonitor.

If you want to progress on Switch, you're mostly doing it with duos and dailies.
  11. Black Dawn Steadfast Player

I wouldn't oppose a server merge but it would be sad for the switch players who lose all their names to "older" players on the other servers.
  12. Brit Loyal Player

Previous Server Mergers (like the PC mergers, and the PC+PS mergers) did not use creation date as the primary metric for determining who gets to keep the name. It goes:

1) Legendary over Non-Legendary
    2) THEN Active accounts over Inactive accounts.
    3) THEN direct comparison of CRs.
    4) THEN if you still need a tie-breaker, it is total play time on the character.
    5) And if you STILL need a tie-breaker, it is creation date.

Considering that most of those desireable names on USPC/PS were claimed a looooong time ago, a lot of those accounts are inactive now. Which means that, unless the USPC/PS player is actually actively using the character, the Nintendo Switch would win in most cases.
  13. Doctor Null New Player

I think they should at least merge US Switch and EU Switch as a priority. Not only would it re-invigorate the existing player base, but it would bring back older players who left because of population, as well as creating new buzz to bring in new players, easily tripling the population if not more in my opinion.

I would love to see a merge with other platforms, but there is a lot more red tape there to get that done in dealing with various platform restrictions and requirements for cross-play.
  14. Black Dawn Steadfast Player

I don't recall that being the qualifications.

Also, that's a bold claim about the accounts that have desirable names being inactive.
  15. timetrapper52 Well-Known Player

hmm idk about that with the switch's performance. Would be better to merge US & EU like xbox
  16. Huge New Player

Yes, that's what we're pushing for! A merge with US side of the Nintendo switch like xbox have done would be a massive help. Any sort of merge is very needed for the EU switch server and merging both US and EU switch sounds most realistic taking into account the economy and level issues.
  17. Lycan Nightshade Dedicated Player

just to throw this out there but it could be 1) DBG/DI owns the servers and want to get the most out of their money, OR 2) they lease the servers and dont want to merge until that lease is up.
  18. Brit Loyal Player

Not really. It's some basic correlation.

Older accounts are more likely to have more desirable names. This is because when a name is desired by multiple people, the first one who tried it gets it. This will mean that the more popular the name, the earlier it will have been claimed. It is increasingly unlikely for a new account to receive a highly desirable name, because if it was in-fact highly desirable, then it would likely have been claimed long ago. In essence, if nobody else wanted it for 9 years so it's free for you now, then it wouldn't be what is considered "desirable". It definitely can still be "good" or "cool" or "fun", but it was not popularly requested because literally nobody else ever requested it (or else it would have been claimed).

Also, older accounts are more likely to be inactive. Simply put, on an All-Things-Equal, an MMO will see steady population decay. People will get bored, find a different game, have changes in their life that remove their ability to play (such as college, marriage, kids, or a new job), etc. Millions of reasons why somebody might quit that have nothing to do with the quality of the game and are based essentially on the player. A player who made an account 3 months ago has had 3 months where one of these events might have occurred. Could happen the first day you make the account; could have happened a month later, could have happened yesterday. But an account made 9 years ago has had 9 years for one of these events to take place. I could have happened the first day, or a month later, or three months later, but it also could have happened a year later, or two years, or five. Simply put, you can compare it to RNG. That same thing can happen to either player, but every day is another roll of the dice, and so the one who rolls the dice more times is the one mathematically more likely to have one of these things eventually come up.

And the second reason would be game milestones. While players leave for reasons that have nothing to do with the game, and that happens equally across the board (with steadily increasing odds over time), there are other points where something happens in the game that causes a mass exodus. These are things like the speedhacking bans of 2012, the economic collapse of 2019, the elimination of Advanced Mechanics, the PvP revamp, etc. Sometimes something happens that instantly turns off a larger group of players all at the same time and causes them to quit. And simply put, new players have not gone through as many of those events as old players. Every time one of those happens, it's another roll of the dice to see who stays and who goes. But the accounts that roll the dice more times are the ones more likely to eventually turn up a reason that turned them off to the game.

Last year we saw a good chunk of players leave during the cash exploit (or leave after the exploit fix). Any player who made an account AFTER that date was unaffected, but anyone from before might have reached that tipping point. Ditto that every step along the way.

It's nothing personal. I myself am one of those old players from Beta. Back at that time, we had over a dozen different servers, all crammed full. Within months, the population had shrunk and they merged us to a single "megaserver". Now, almost 10 years later, there are very few people out of those hundreds of thousands of Day 1 players who are still here. Because 10 years is a long time to stick with a single video game. The average American marriage doesn't last that long.

The older the account, the more likely the account is to have desirable names, because it claimed them first.
    The older the account, the more likely the account is to have gone inactive, because life happens.

It is very evidenced by taking even a cursory glance at the population, or a logical look the way the accounts work.

And if old accounts are more likely to have good names, AND old accounts are more likely to be inactive, then the two are correlated. That means good names are more likely to be on inactive accounts.
    • Like x 1
  19. Queenofthevirgo New Player

A merge betweeen EU and US is needed to save the switch !
  20. KALYTION New Player

It would be a great idea merging bout Switch and Ps4/PC servers, it sounds crazy, but it's a really good idea, cuz when the Open Episodes are gone, the Switch servers will die fast...