Dev Discussion Survival Mode Season 3

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by Quixotic, Aug 10, 2022.

1. PrincessBunny Well-Known Player

Finished Rd 30,

Few Bugs - Krona 9,19,29 - invisible beam , or the beam continues going, then he points at a person but drops the little green bombs on a random person not the person he is pointing at.

Beast Boy rd28, Gorilla phase he had immunity soon as he spawned the entire time he was out.

Minotaur rd27 - If he misses the chain and charges into a wall sometimes he will lunge out flying towards the tank doing a lot of damage, this was also a bug in SM Season 2.

Overall Feedback:

While rounds 9-10 maybe a bit over tuned, otherwise I have to say I really enjoyed doing SM this season. I didn't see the toxic people like last season, the 6 man SM is a good group size there was no issues in my league. It was a nice change that other powers instead of just ice or rage tanks, we had a fire and earth tank that were able to tank it into the higher rounds, unlike last season it was only ice or rage. I feel overall SM is in a good spot again that coming from my friends and league mates that I have run with over the weekend.

Thank you Devs :)
    • Like x 3
  2. Proxystar #Perception

[IMG]

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  3. BumblingB I got better.

Got through round 6 and we stopped for the night. Haven't had a chance to do it until yesterday, we have lives and what not.

I think the boss health pools are a little spongy in these rounds compared to the adds. Like it doesn't need to be so high in early rounds to allow for more casual play. It also makes it more likely players won't want to start at round one in the case of a new player to help.

As for mechanics, what was up with the blue pools with Vice and Metallo? Thematically, they made no sense. It was a round of Red Lanterns, why was it water? Was it supposed to be red?!?!

As far as damage from bosses, as long as players watched mechanics with communication, they seemed okay. Though some of the adds were already at one shot level if they spawned right behind someone and hit them immediately.

6 players is odd one. Group makeup does seem like it will be a problem at later levels. Tanks and heals specifically. If you can't get the proper make-up at the start and are doing it as a group, you would have to do the whole thing over again. Going back to the health pools. We were 3 tank powers, 2 troll powers, and a single heal. It was our mains and it's how it landed.
  4. Proxystar #Perception

The water pools start there, it's not themed, it's simply a room mechanic, later they're security drones which if not cc'd will strip the players of all their power and all their supercharge, then its the proximity explosion effect like in TSW, eventually it's all of them or combinations of, they're room effect mechanics to make players aware of their surroundings to each other, if ignored they're one shots.

Your group make up is probably where you want it, if that puts your mind at rest, you shouldn't really need a second healer if your healer is worth their weight most rounds you're looking at either 1,1,1,3 or 2,1,1,2 depending on how you may wish to deal with any adds and the security drone.
  5. BumblingB I got better.

Odd spot to add mechanics like that. Cosmic Boy had his own that thematically made sense, random water spouts on a rage boss just had me scratch my head. They could have used the bombardment from the solo that autrocitus does. IDK.

Anyways, I would hope the health pools would be looked at in 1-10.
  6. Sword- New Player

Having finished R30, Rounds 20-30 did not feel particularly challenging compared to previous seasons. Most of these rounds could be comparable in difficulty to Stage 1-3 elite raids from previous episodes.

That being said, 6 man seems to be a good compromise between 4 and 8 player content going forward, SM just needs to be adjusted a bit to account for 6 players as this one felt like it was designed for 4 players with 2 extra teammates to make it a bit easier. I think the boss fights were a bit more mechanically interesting this time than the previous seasons; in S1 and S2 the bosses seemed a bit spongey and there wasn't a lot of room mechanics to watch out for. So the addition of reoccurring mechanics was a great idea.

The room mechanics in S3 didn't feel very difficult however; the aoe pools didn't feel very threatening and I could rely on them to proc Lex, and accidental stacks with the spread mechanic only tickled our hp. It did feel this time that the room mechanics are overly generous and didn't require people to really pay much attention even in the highest rounds. A good improvement would be to have these mechanics progressively deal more damage and 1 shot on Round 25+, or perhaps give players a stacking debuff each time they are hit.

Krona was also a little too easy for R29 but still keeps the group engaged and requires people to pay attention to his animations, block and spread out a bit to avoid splash damage. If the reoccurring room mechanics were a bit more threatening, he would have been a bit more interesting.

There wasn't a lot of pressure throughout the majority of the rounds though, it kind of lacked that survival mode feel to it, it lacked tension and it's hard to remember which round was the most challenging because it didn't really feel like any of the bosses put up a really good fight against the group. My primary concern is the longevity of this event as it was a bit too undertuned and easy to finish, which means we could see an early drop in engagement from endgame players that were hoping to have content a bit more appropriate for their level of experience, the SM is very accessible but the difficulty is a bit too intermediate.

Maybe in the future, if SM is gradually going to become more accessible, could we have a system where SM has infinite rounds beyond R30 that keep gradually getting harder and harder as an optional challenge? Maybe even have titles for hitting crazy milestones like Round 50 or 100. It will give people something to do after they finish. This SM caters very well to more casual players but I don't think the balance is right as there wasn't any hard rounds this time.
  7. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

I wonder if they could try something like this right now, maybe starting with 10 extra rounds or so. This SM is definitely not memorable even though it's the first 6-man content in the game, it's more of a casual walkthrough than a Survival Mode.

Mepps said they were looking to adjust it, but I'm not sure I enjoy the idea of releasing it much easier on week 1 and then buffing it after many people already got their PPs and materials, leaving the ones who couldn't do it on week 1 without the rewards forever. It's better if they can find a workaround this time
  8. Terremor New Player

so if not a crown, what about this hair? is it possible to add it as a reward? [IMG]
  9. CraccaGeneral Active Player

I've noticed that some changes were made to SM but there aren't any notes yet. The pools and red arrow mechanics are now a one shot for instance. Just wondering if you have made any other changes? I already beat it on my Tank main and I was doing it again on my healer so I don't know for sure if the bosses hit harder but the tanks I was with were struggling a little bit. Anyways a patch notes post would be great to have.
    • Like x 1
  10. SwoIe New Player

Please put a crown in survival mode...PLEASEEEEE
    • Like x 1
  11. Miserable Dedicated Player

The way the difficulty scales in this SM doesn't seem appropriate. Even the highest rounds offer no real challenge to the more skilled players, which kind of baffles me because this the first SM in history (after 13 previous SMs) for which that can be said.

Given that there are 30 rounds of SM, but only 10 unique boss fights, repeating the same 10 boss fights 3 times allows you guys (devs) to create a range of difficulty that encompasses all skill levels and includes all players, so I'm not sure why you haven't done that. It's possible it wasn't entirely intentional, but I'd appreciate some insight into your reasoning.
  12. Miserable Dedicated Player

I will say that the Poseidon pools and Infectious Ire update was a welcome change.
  13. KlarkKent Well-Known Player

bump
    • Like x 1
  14. Drathmor Unwavering Player

The whole reason I ran this this year is for the nightmare wolves and the shadow bats. imagine my surprise when I found out as I go through the ranks I cant get them because they were season 1 rewards..

yea i dont care nothing is safe from bring back now days just look at two-face and batman mask

Let us get rewards from past seasons as long as we can reach the same progress point to unlock them please

DEV's can we make this happen
    • Like x 5
  15. Ultimus Primus Well-Known Player

If you have time and a stiff drink i recommend this event, even better with several drinks and a rando que!
    • Like x 1
  16. Snake619 New Player

Hello, I don't know if I'm the only one in this case, but to have the right to an answer from a dev, well, apparently you have to wait for several years because after several attempts over several years, I still haven't had this privilege.
    I now see speedhackers who in the lfg offer to finish survival mode from 1 to 30 for money. But no one cares.
    I was lucky enough to be there for survival mode season 1 with Ultraman and finish the R30 and I never got the mail with the crown from that day and until today I haven't never got an answer so my question is simple, why?
    • Like x 1
  17. lllStrichcodelll ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

When it comes to styles i kind of dont want this to happen although i'd need those OG SM styles from back then.

Trinkets and such shouldnt be exclusive though as they have a practical effect to them. I didnt bother buying them yet but have to admit theyre one of the best looking henchmen out there and a bummer many arent able to ever get them.
    • Like x 1
  18. lllStrichcodelll ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Devs said in a stream that they'd love to make this happen but will run into difficulties regarding resolution or something. Basically it wouldnt look as detailed as that one and may end up quite ugly. Adding this to the SM vendor is highly unlikely.
  19. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

Sounds like Oceans was the only Dev that could have made it look right, and now that she's gone... :(
  20. kingofthebeast Active Player

Can you guys please unlock the other season rewards that are based on round completion? Imagine if you couldn't get last year's event rewards from the witching hour because you missed out for whatever reason. This is a event after all. Would definitely prompt people to run it more. Just seems like a waste for people who missed out to even be able to view previous items if they aren't even available. I'm celestial, I need those shadow styles and I like another person in this thread thought if running I could get what I missed. Please allow us to have the same privilege as others and remember"real heroes listen".
    • Like x 4