Superspeed/Acrobatics Wall-Climb Bug

Discussion in 'Old Arkham (Bug Archive)' started by Karasawa, Mar 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brondulfr New Player

This bug is the biggest reason I only use flight.
  2. badname8 New Player

3. Sskrineim New Player

Understood, but I still think camera based movement might result in fewer buggy hiccups.

1) I don't use automatic camera control. They make targeting even harder than it already is, an in general take control away from me, the user.
    2) While flight is a fully 3D movement mode, super-speed is a movement mode which navigates multiple curved-space environments within a 3D context. That is, you navigate the surfaces of multiple 3D objects, and navigate between those objects. Understandably, some debate may arise as to how this is best implemented.

I would argue that it would be most intuitive to simply move in the direction of the camera, and when that direction is into a wall, you stop like any other game, or when not in super-speed.

Also, when you come to an edge while wall running, and your camera is not facing down to run over it, you stop. Alternatively, when you run into a positive obstruction, that is something functioning as a wall to you, you stop as you would running into a wall w/o a movement mode, but when you come to a ledge you go over the edge and run down it like you already do, possibly with the camera tilting to adjust for the new angle.

E.g., you are super speeding along. You are running up a wall with your camera facing the wall but slightly upwards. You hit the wall. Do to the tilt of the camera, you are still on the wall, not the ceiling, so you are running into the ceiling like you normally would a wall. If your camera is tilted slightly to the right, you will move slowly to the right as you run into the ceiling (wall to you) at a rightwards angle, and with a greater tilt you will slide along that ceiling (wall to you) faster as you run into it. Eventually you may end up in a corner, and your velocity goes to 0 as your camera is facing into it, just like in a normal game when you run into a corner. The difference from normal 2D ground movement is that when you tilt your camera up, you switch from being on the wall to the ceiling and start running along it.

Why I argue this would be less buggy:
    In the current system, you have to be carefully watching so that when your character starts running the wrong way, or starts spinning around a lamppost, you can frantically disable the super speed, and then start it back up again in the correct direction. With the version I stated, instead, you would run in the expected direction, and occasionally your character might stop like in any other game, and your response would be simply to direct your character how to proceed. It is much better to have to have your character stop and wait for you to respond like in other games rather than having to be on your toes so you can catch your character doing the opposite of what you intend and re-direct them.
    It's a matter of re-instructing a character that has stopped going in the intended direction, versus re-instructing a character that has not only stopped going in the intended direction but which has also started going in the complete wrong direction, and having to do so very quickly in order to avoid the disaster of ending up back where you were trying to get away from.

I admit, I don't have much to say about the buggyness as it would pertain to automatic camera users. I can tolerate the WASD based (character orientation based) movement that is currently implemented, but agree with the frustration voiced by others on this thread.

Couldn't a function also be added that, on or just before collisions, adds a sort of "imaginary" diagonal or curved surface to connect them? That is, at collisions it acts as if there is a tiny ramp? I'm don't really know, I just wonder if that would work?

That sounds like you're on to something. Or, the camera remains fixed relative to the character's spine, looking at that spine from a fixed angle relative to the character's facing. E.g. if the camera is looking at your character from your char's left side, it will still be looking at your char from you char's left side when you go up the wall, it will just rotate to keep your char right side up while relative to your camera while the world appears to be sideways. (Alternatively, the location, facing, angle of the camera could all be as described, but the rotation could keep the world right-side up. Personally, I think that would confuse me though, as character based view makes more sense to me.) Or maybe that's what you were saying by relative to the character's back? My interpretation is that you were saying fixed on the character's back, sorta like over the shoulder.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.