Supergirl Show [Thoughts & Views]

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Magician, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Magician Dedicated Player

Hey guys. what do you think of the new Supergirl show?

I personally think it's odd they couldn't fit her into the WB channel on Monday nights, then Tuesday with the Flash and Wednesdays for Arrow.

I saw the pilot and it sets it up pretty good. However, the many references to her cousin is a bit much.

I love how they are focusing on how a "girl" can be powerful and a strong role model.

I personally think they did a great job in casting Melissa Benoist-Jenner as Supergirl and Dean Cain and Helen Slatter as her adoptive parents. (You do remember who they played in past appearances, right?)

However, the twist of Jimmy Olsen well, I have to see how he plays out but right now, I'm cautious on my opinons.

Well, I don't want to twist the plot for today's premier, but would love to see your thoughts on this and future shows here.

Shameless Plug: Pilot Premiers on CBS Monday 10/26 at 7:30 PM CST
    • Like x 2
  2. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

I did see the pilot also and agree with you on all points. The "James Olsen" twist was something different [not bad or good] but I think in doing something that is original and new could prove to be a useful move. I would have like to see this in line with Flash and Arrow also, I think an occasional merging of the worlds would be really cool to see. The references to her "cousin", I think you can't mention a Kryptonian or Supergirl without making some mention of her "cousin". I mean the guy/character has been around for like, what, 80 some years? and is THE superhero. I do like how they don't mention him by name at all and just refer to him as her "cousin", I thought that was cool and in a way says "she can stand on her own". Looking forward to seeing what they do, I think they have a solid thing here.
    • Like x 2
  3. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Don't have a problem with the 'Jimmy Olsen' actor, just feel they should have given him a different role, to me, Jimmy "Freckles" Olsen should be a ginger white kid

And, since when are plain brown pants considered 'loud'? o_O Did the costume designer not read the script? Or did Ally McSkinny try and make a funny?
    • Like x 2
  4. TiggaMcGee New Player

I cant get over the actress choice. I am waiting for her to start singing any moment.
    • Like x 1
  5. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Who is she? Is she a singer who believes they can act? o_O
    • Like x 1
  6. Miss Adora Loyal Player

I didn't see the pilot episode, but Supergirl premier is tonight. The more commercials I see of the show on nbc, the less I want to watch it. I may take a peek here and there from the normal show I watch tonight but the idea she already telling everyone and their grandmother, she the one save the plane, the more I cringe. Not to mention, she happen to be working at the Daily Planet as a job, it shows how uncreative the writers are.
    • Like x 1
  7. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Thought she was working somewhere else, with that Cat creature as her fashion-victim Diva boss
    • Like x 1
  8. Leafy Committed Player

I honestly dont think it will do to hot.
    • Like x 2
  9. ShazamFan2014 Loyal Player

You can't do this show without showing the Man of Steel, at some point.

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  10. The Quickster Well-Known Player

She's not working at the Daily Planet, she's working at a new company called Cat Co.
    She's an actress but she just happens to have a nice voice, like Kevin Spacey.

I saw the pilot and i didn't hate it. Like a lot of pilots it was pretty rushed so it made it seem like things were all over the place. I don't mind Jimmy Olsen that much but i mean in most iterations he's just a regular looking ginger kid and not a former fashion model. I didn't like how they kept referring to Supes but i feel like that might be a Pilot only thing and maybe get a few mentions here and there for the rest of the season. I do think this show is catered towards women more so that men so that might turn some people off but for me i need to watch a few more episodes before i can decide whether it's a good, bad or average show, as of the Pilot i'd give it a 7/10.
    • Like x 2
  11. montazumas revenge Devoted Player

Dunno if it will match Gotham for Monday ratings
    • Like x 1
  12. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Hmm.
    • Effects were decent.
    • Vartox being a straight up criminal instead of the original character was a questionable choice to me, as the original is a little more nuanced. Also, the use of the axe made me think more of Steppenwolf than Vartox.
    • Just say the name already. Stop dancing around the Superman name, acknowledge it and move on.
    • Storytelling seemed rushed. Kind of odd when the storytelling in Flash seems a little more slower paced.
    There's potential, but the most worrying thing to me is the pacing on the storytelling. It's going to be tough to connect to the characters if they don't slow down a bit and give viewers a chance to get to know them at all.
    • Like x 1
  13. Dark Horus Dedicated Player

I Enjoyed it and think it will be a good show
    • Like x 3
  14. TheDarknessWithin Loyal Player

Hm I haven't seen it yet, but the moment I saw the trailer months ago, it looked dodgy and corny.

I have a feeling it'll be bad, unlike Flash, Arrow and Gotham.
    • Like x 2
  15. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

The show was entertaining enough but there were things that took me aback a bit.
    1) Supergirl seems to have forgotten to use her abilities at full potential
    2) Vartox, the super powered axe man. He's able to get the upper hand on Supergirl because of 1 and seems to be somewhat invulnerable. The first encounter, he's about to kill Supergirl but then gets fired upon a military helicopter AND RUNS AWAY?!
    3) Kara's spaceship gets collected by the government (Did Superman forget to pick that up?)
    4) The Kryptonian prison that crash landed along with Kara's spaceship (Did Superman just let that slide to handle later?)
    5) The dancing around of dropping Superman or using Jimmy as a middle man messenger
    6) Kara living in National City and working for a devil wears prada media mogul who owns the Tribune
    • Like x 1
  16. DustyAnkh Loyal Player

I didn't watch last night, but I saw the pilot a few months ago. If it's the same exact episode, I found it entertaining, but it moved way too fast.

I didn't really like the first episode of the Flash though, and it's one of my favorite shows now. So I'll keep watching with hope.
    • Like x 1
  17. Mint Stiletto Loyal Player

I like that the pilot moved fast. I'm glad they got the set up done with fast instead of dragging it out forever.
    Happy that we don't have to sit through a bunch of will she/won't she stuff.
    None of the "I'm not sure I wanna or can" crap, she's all about getting some Supergirling done and smiles.:)
    Get right to the Super! I liked that.
    • Like x 2
  18. DaBeama Well-Known Player

Not sure about it yet. I think it's funny that Dean Cain is in it since he played Superman on Lois &Clark. Just like the Flash has John Wesley Shipp in it.
    • Like x 1
  19. Magician Dedicated Player

I got a sneaky feeling that they are going to do some flashback stuffs. I mean, they got a good cast of the Danvers parents, I doubt they will just use them for one episode. I just hope it doesn't become too much like they are doing with Arrow. 5 years ago...blah blah blah, I get it.
    • Like x 1
  20. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Also has Helen Slater, the movie Supergirl (anyone else remember that scene where got interrupted about to French her own reflection? :D)
    • Like x 1