[Suggestion] refresh the "player base" in DCUO!

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Aduzar Light, Feb 1, 2021.

1. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

Hello, I'm taking the liberty of suggesting a refresh for the "player base" part of DCUO.

For a long time, we have been entitled to the same structures for the bases, it would be good to renew the structure of the player base.

So, yes, we won a new play, but only in some bases, like Atlantis or Brainiac's, ok it's nice, but honestly, not enough, why ? Because quite simply, the rest we are already in known ground.

Some games regularly propose different architecture bases in relation with the theme of a region, a specific place or according to the "DLC" etc, it would be really nice to see an idea like that on DCUO.

Base theme idea :
    There would also be some theme ideas that we could finally see coming.

- A flash related theme like Star Labs already exists in Metropolis.
    - One for Superman with the theme "the fortress of solitude" we've already had the opportunity to browse in the FOS.
    - A base Oan theme that we could be inspired by the zones of the alert or Duo or this one already has some skin like that of a teleporter, a theme and even basic "structure" that I look forward to see arriving on DCUO: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/idea-based-on-the-oan-theme.313473/ well I admit it's my "fanatic" side of the universe of lanterns that speaks ^^.

It would be really nice to have more novelty on the themes and more frequently on DCUO and especially, new base architectures, because "housing" can quickly become a passion and also be profitable for the game.

Object of Base :
    Sometimes, we would like to get some basic items, unfortunately, sometimes they don't appear anymore, if at all, and when we come to see some items for sale, they are sometimes overpriced, sometimes inaccessible for some players.

For example, why not imagine a system that would allow "cracking" basic items at the R&D machine? We could craft them by putting together this or that item and even resell them afterwards, depending on each player. It would be good to see this in DCUO.

The tapestry :
    I think it would be good to have some basic objects like a "tapestry" system to change the appearance of the walls/ceiling/floor, the walls would be a good start!

Certainly, some objects can already be used as such, but it is unfortunately not always possible to perfectly camouflage a surface and also, according to some objects, if one wishes to do it, it would take much too much space on the limit of the base object.

I think it would be really nice to be able to change the surface of a wall by what we would like to give to the style of our base by mixing it a little with the original base theme.

ps; it might be better to have a specific salesman for this type of decoration (to be seen).

Tolerance of object placement (collision) :
    When I say "tolerance" I don't mean the limit of the basic object, but when we want to place certain objects in such and such a place, sometimes, because of a specific basic structure it is often impossible to place the object as we would like, it would be good to loosen this "tolerance" which sometimes blocks many ideas, this tolerance is also problematic in the "league hall" blocking a sometimes certain symmetry that we would like to be able to achieve and sometimes grotesquely boring in relation to the same opposite area where the limit does not block us.

"Acting" with objects :
    It would also be nice to be able to act with certain objects. Like, for example, being able to sit on a couch or chair, or to turn on/off certain objects, such as water from a fountain.

It would be really nice to see this kind of novelty arriving in 2021 on DCUO or in the years to come, housing really deserves to be more exploited on DCUO. I certainly forgot other possible imagination, although with all this we're already quite a lot ^^, but I guess the community also has a lot of good ideas in the head ;)
    • Like x 7
  2. Eve YouTuber

I remember someone asked on twitter why we can't sit and both Nerd of Prey and Megzilla claimed It's probably not possible because of the tech they are using to make the character sit in a chair. Something about how the chairs\couches in the game are made.

If I'll find the tweet, I'll link it here.

I'm up for anything to make bases more engageable, and most of all make more animated items. I wish they would add base items packs on market place like they did with Water, of stuff we don't have yet\most request (Like Lantern batteries, and decoration from all around the game, like in the Christmas seasonal.)

We need base themes like Themyscira, Oa, Fortress of Solitude etc. I Hope we can get this, the last new theme we got was Brainiac (?) or the Atlantean one. We need more!
    • Like x 4
  3. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

If you want my opinion, that's the kind of excuse for doing nothing ^^

Like, you can activate consoles, you can port the games to new gen and even PC, but it would be impossible to create this kind of animation? I don't believe it for a moment x)
    • Like x 1
  4. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

• Like x 1
  5. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

6. Irvynnge Loyal Player

the one major thing that I would like in relation to bases would be the ability to resize base objects. got a whole rake of stuff that I'd love to use but can't because they just don't fit anywhere. a for instance would be the speed force walls we just got. can't use them anywhere. the countless statues that pretty much scrape the ceiling no matter where I try to put them. the Throne of Bones ( or whatever it's called ) that literally only fits in two places in the base, neither of which work. a wacking great big dinosaur that literally only fits in two places in the base, neither of which work. etc etc. so, yeah, resizing stuff.

also, your tapestry idea, which I also suggested yarons back, only I called it Wallpaper / Carpets, all for that.

& I'm always up for more themes, even if we only get them in the same size as the Volcanic / Space bases.
  7. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

For this, I think that the current basic structure is less and less adapted to the new objects that are coming in.
  8. Aren Sul Committed Player

Just my 2 cents:
    1. The collision issue varying from base to base has always been an annoyance to me. In some cases I can or can't hang stuff on specific walls (the corridor), posts, or even areas on walls depending on the base theme. In others, items can or can't fit in alcoves depending on the theme. I prefer consistency if possible.
    2. I've always thought the devs missed a small opportunity quite a few episodes ago by not designing an single alternate layout (or two - one hideout, one lair) as a development foundation, that could be easily skinned by them for each episode and offer that at the currency vendor towards the end of the episode lifecycle (as they do now with style items, auras, orbital strike skins, etc). It would be great if you could end up with a base styled to match and filled by items from a given episode.
  9. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

I totally agree with you, other games have succeeded in this part of the game and it's even very lucrative, because the houses are sold in the shop.

They even manage to renew the basic and house items monthly and this allows players to come up with incredible creative ideas, sometimes really amazing.

There are even house contest vents as well as vents to complete in a given time in order to win a house at the end of it, I don't understand why Daybreak hasn't exploited this for 10 years and a universe has a lot of potential for that .

Maybe it's going to be nasty what I'm about to say, but I often regret that this game is in the hands of Daybreak who relies too much on their experience and lacks ambition for this game, in my eyes Daybreak is clearly no longer made for this type of game and that I am not spoken to about "money problems", because the latest figures clearly prove that this is not the cause, it is just a lack of ambition on the part of Daybreak, sorry for his words, not very cheerful, but by dint of anger and disappointment, the situation is finally getting worse!
    • Like x 2
  10. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

Developing this comment wouldn't hurt amigo, because to read it now, it's not very understandable! ^^
  11. the solowing Steadfast Player

They need to size it for each housing type, 1 small and 1 large version.
  12. the solowing Steadfast Player

*Reading from the comfort of my own in-game home*
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

These are the same room sizes, just customized differently. Daybreak needs to look to those setting the example and take note, not copy but try to use the tech they have to find creative solutions to their limitations.
    [IMG]

It take time of course, but why not take pre-existing assets and remodel them with a transition rig and sitting rig? Or even create items that have functionality to it (like the broker amenity or bank amenity)? I mean they have house pets, which actually is something that is a solid addition. If they decided to delve deeper into housing AI they could created a house that feel passively occupied, or that sets a scene for its creator (Like a Rave, or hideout)
    • Like x 1
  13. Synisterstrike Active Player

A change to teleporters/invasion portal idea

I've made a post on this..but it seems like this is an organized thread and I figured I'd put it here too. Maybe it will gain some traction...

The anniversary event has an "invasion portal" base item that is a teleporter to the HQ and to the anniversary event. That got me thinking...

How about the same thing on the marketplace? As Zoe mentioned in my other thread...themed teleporters would be awesome. In her case..a BoP themed base. The teleporter would be a doorway with BoP metro visible.

Green lantern? A portal to Oa. Supes themed? (Or an ice character) A portal showing the FoS.

Many people have said they'd like bases in different areas other than metro or gotham..this could "solve" that. We already have windows to look like we're somewhere else..why not a teleporter to match?

Ok..I'm done lol
  14. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

15. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

@Daybreak / @Mepps, please do something about the tolerance of base items, the base item type "frost wall" almost half of the player base is not compatible with this dimension...
  16. Great Architect Loyal Player

A reason ain't an excuse. It's the same "excuse" for why the Wood fences from the recent Springtime event can't be hammered under the wall overhang, no matter how hard you try.

That's no couch. it's a hexahedronal collection of surfaces. If the programmers put the top surface at 1 yard, and the cushions at 12", "sitting" on it would hover you above the cushions at just under 1/1000th of a kilometre - the height of the superior surface.

It's not a "sit" animation that's grinding your gears - it's that the furniture is all slapped together in a way that there's nowt you can sit on.

Yes, I have deliberately gone out of my way to make this a nightmare for you to translate.

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  17. Crimson Crossfyre Well-Known Player

Character animations when interacting with furniture are much more complex than one would believe. Star Wars Galaxies had such a system hard-coded into the game from the very beginning but then had to ignore creating a Z-axis because they had issues making all of it work together.

To add such cosmetic actions to the game would require a great deal of development resources and possibly even require rebuilding entire segments of code from the bottom up. As mentioned by Great Architect, what you see in the game through your avatar's eyes is not actually what the code would reveal.
  18. Imaginos Dedicated Player

That's the crux right there with a lot of game issues. Reprogramming core functions some more core than others and that takes development time away from making new episodes, so they have to balance ui upgrades/base changes/etc that take away from programming resources. That being said something like the wooden wall colliding by the computer, which I reported (with images) should be an easy fix as that requires no programming at all. They artist needs to move the collision/bounding box of the wall down on the z axis a little bit. They've done that with plenty of other base items and it can be done with that one too.

Things I'd like to see for bases to really "sell them" (on the market and make more enjoyable ingame).
    1. Large base layout added to all the older bases.
      • This does mess with their pvp base raid setup so perhaps give everyone who has purchased an older base another base layout to choose from with - Large tacked on the end and let them switch the current base layout to that, or they'd need to reprogram the pvp base raid stuff to either ignore the big room or add the big room into the current pvp base raid feature.
    2. Z axis Movement (and hopefully rotation) of base items.
      • Letting us move stuff up/down on the z axis would make many base items, that are currently kind of useless, unless you're a slob, useful. Being able to put books/food/lamps/candles/etc... ON tables/benches/desks/altars etc... instead of on the floor.
      • Letting us rotate stuff on the Z axis would allow better placement of things, such as taking a floor gear and leaning it against a wall or desk, amongst other things.
    3. Clipping issues more standardized across all bases.
      • I posted quite a few issues with the cave base, which is one of the worst offenders, though the gothic base has it's own issues, as do almost all the bases in some areas. But this probably takes allocated artist time to go back into a base and change the collision/bounding boxes, assuming that's how the bases are set up. As an example there are 3 circles on the cave wall base by the stairs to the top floor that can NOT have base items placed inside of them at all. Why are they there? How did that get past quality control?
    4. Base styles that are for the hideout/dive added to full sized bases and more styles created.
      1. I'd love a non cave/metal "cave" style base made in the likes of League of Assassins.
      2. I want the Lava hideout/dive base to be made large, same with the space base.
      3. On 2. The lava base should be in the dispenser for other characters once I've unlocked it. Currently it is not.
      4. I'd love to see a Themyscira themed base along the lines of the Atlantis base, some large windows looking out over paradise island, etc..
      5. I'd love to see a mystical, floating in the void base, along those lines would be spiffy too. There are plenty of zones, such as the Mordru raid and JLD Raids that have scenic elements that could be used.
      6. I'd like to see a tech base that's more along the lines of 31st century earth or titans tower, though one of the bases is kind of similar to that now iirc.
      7. I'd love to see a Kryptonian/Oan/Zamaron Crystal themed base (any faction really). Lots of lovely maps to use assets from for these.
    5. Themed base item amenities packs in the marketplace would be nice too.
    6. Amenity Circles removed or more added to bases, even if only x number were allowed to be used and once that number was full the others would be disabled. I want more freedom in placing my amenities.
    Some of the above options require programmer time to be allocated to such a project, such as Z-Axis placement and fixing the pvp base raids if the devs went that route, instead of just giving another base layout to people who purchased it and bundling that with the current ones.
    • Like x 1
  19. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

There are currently too many disappointing "collisions" with the basic objects and the current basic architecture and I think for example of the walls in the spring vent, impossible to put them correctly where there are stairs to go down, we could have added a wall for the hole that gives access to the floor below, but because of the kind of "arch" impossible to make a clean wall ...

Please devs, can a "redesign of the DCUO housing" plan be considered?
    It would be really great to be able to think of DCUO housing in the same way as the excellent housing of Elder Scrolls Online which is probably the best game in this field, DCUO has a huge potential to come close, it's a shame not to exploit this more on DC...

Personally, I'm really tired of seeing the same 2 basic architectures (big and small) for 10 years of play...