Style question for the techies in the game

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by DoctorP2, Feb 10, 2020.

1. DoctorP2 Well-Known Player

I'm sure there's a good reason for this, but I'm curious what it is. We have some amazing back styles with flowing capes that react to movement and drift in complex ways. Why isn't this sort of movement possible with long hair styles? (I'm thinking of examples like Zatanna's and Starfire's.) Is it a clipping issue? Are hair designs coded in a fundamentally different way from gear? Even if it's not possible to retroactively redesign existing hair styles, would it be possible to create a new style with some kind of movement? Like I say, I'm just curious about the technical explanation.
  2. BumblingB I got better.

Short answer, yes they are coded differently.

Long answer is that the hair is actually sculpted with the head style and replaces a part of the body, where capes are attached on the back with a framework that allows for the movement. They "could" add particle effects to head style, (firestorm's head) but not a whole lot can be done this late in the game to allow for flowing effects. It's kind of like how there are no blend shapes for facial expressions outside of the mouth movement. (Supergirl's mom can see into the abyss and she wont blink at it.)

They have talked many times about longer hairstyles, like starfire's, being added to the game using a back style, but I don't think that got put in the forefront. Most likely very back burner.
    • Like x 1
  3. DoctorP2 Well-Known Player

Thanks, BB. I appreciate the response. I'll keep my fingers crossed it will happen soon (tm).
    • Like x 1