Stats Revamp: Power Costs

Discussion in 'Stats Revamp Archive' started by Mepps, Jan 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elusian Crowd Control

Thanks for the overview. Much appreciated :)
    • Like x 1
  2. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

Question: Can you also change one of the PI applicators to ice to have low power cost?

If you look at all the PI applications that inflict frostbite for Ice, the majority of them land in the Medium ranking.

These being: Impaling ice, Ice Boulder & Ice Boulder Strike, and Resonating gale.

The only PI applicator in ice that doesn't have a Medium ranking is Wintry Tempest, But considering it's in the High Power Cost ranking it wouldn't make it better to use.
  3. Echo Blue Committed Player

Hello everyone,

I really enjoy using my weapons attacks, and I especially enjoy the animations of WM (Weapons Mastery). With the revamp, will utilizing WM play a factor in power usage?
  4. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

It sounds like it.

All the Weapon Buffs(Ice bash, Menance, Wired) Take up half of your power.

According to Spord; WM combos will not trigger refund but do more damage so you have a bit of a trade-off.
  5. Hale Well-Known Player

Ohh ok I thought he was just letting ppl know what powers are power hungry or not I was thinking I can see that for myself
    Well hopefully this change is better.
  6. Echo Blue Committed Player

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your answer. After your post, I found the revamp: weapons thread.
  7. Crimson Mayhem Loyal Player

I ran an alert today (Family Reunion) as Mental DPS with a Mental Controller. The Controller was specced for heavy Vita (17k Vita total) while I was specced for heavy Power (Might&Power VIII in all slots, Power v6.2 in all generator slots, 95SP into Power, 33.680 Power total).

CR175.
    My loadout: Mass Levitation, TK Bolt, Menace, Psychic Prison, Stealth (with Bolt Barrage), Grandeur
    I won't comment on damage since I just read that the Daze PI is actually bugged.

My weapon of choice was 2H. The heart of my damage rotation was Mass Levitation clipped with Menace, then Home Run clipped with TK Bolt (Home Run fits perfectly in TKB's cooldown time). I tried to keep up Psychic Prison most of the time when there was a boss or multiple adds. So all in all it was a pretty expensive rotation with several medium to high cost powers, but most of the time I only used a power every 4 seconds with a slow, multi hold weapon combo in between.

Considering my massive Power pool (allowing me to only put one point into Might and Precision each) and the Controller's massive Vita, I expected to hold up better than I did. I still ran dry a few times and had to use a Soder, and I skipped Psychic Prison frequently. I realize TK Bolt and Menace are high cost, high reward powers but I still feel like I should have been way more fluid. Apart from WM, clipped weapon combos don't get much slower than Home Run.
    With these stats I think I should have been able to play a much quicker clippy rotation or even from tray exclusively with more cheap powers and a couple of expensive powers in between, something like Mass Levitation -> TK Bolt -> TK Push -> Pyrokinesis -> repeat from TKB for example.

I do like how DPS feels now and I do feel like there are a lot of options that may be viable, but imo power management should be made slightly easier to allow for fluid play from tray (including some non-cheap powers) with heavy Power investment, and fast clippy play with more balanced Power and Prec/Might investment. To be honest with as much Power as I had I expected to be able to spam pretty much any combination of powers without running dry easily, especially with a Controller in the group.
    • Like x 2
  8. hotsizz1e03 Committed Player

Devs must have forgotten ELECTRIC is a DOT based power? Power cost wayyyy too high for DOT based powers.. becuase Dots take a longer time to set up, the cost should be alot lower.. Hard hittin/Burst moves should cost the most. i cant even get thru one full rotation without using my weapon? maybe 1.5-2 rotations but just 1 rotation? this cant be life lol:(

As a 5 year vet this my interpretation of what ELECTRIC power cost SHOULD BE:

Electricity*(REVISED)*

High Power Cost
    • Bio-Capacitor
    • Static Push
    • Electrostatic Bomb
    • Voltaic Bolt (this as a DOT refresher is Fine)
    • Wired (only keep it as HIGH power COST if it keeps it 12 second cooldown)
    Medium Power Cost
    • Flux
    • Tesla Blast
    • Iconic Drain
    • Wired(only if it DOES NOT keep its 12 second cooldown)
    • Attract
    • Galvanize
    • Overcharge
    • Repulse
    • Electrocute
    Low Power Cost
    • Bioelectric Surge
    • Arc Lightning
    • Electroburst
    • Flux(only if it has the same cooldown time)
    • Shockwave
    • Spark Barrage
    • Tesla Blast
    • Electrogenesis (DOT setups should ALWAYS be low cost)
    So my Loadout for EFFICIENT DOT and power cost playing as ELECTRIC (with this NEW power cost tree) would be.
    1.Electrogenesis/Electrogenesis(LOW power cost)
    2.Wired Clipped 1 (HIGH power cost)
    3. Arc lightning for PI (LOW power cost)
    4. ELECTROCUTE (Medium power cost)
    5.Voltaic Bolt for DOT refresh (HIGH)
    6. Shockwave (low) Preferably wit TROLL or/ 6. Supercharge or/Tesla Blast(MEDIUM power cost)

With this *REVISED POWER COST* loadout as a DOT player... After Laying down my DOTS and buffing myself wit WIRED(high cost) i can spam my weapon attacks after 1-4 setup is complete (possibly mixed wti shockwave for Burst action or leave an open slot for SC) till electrocute cooldown and wired is ready again.. Refresh with VOLTAIC BOLT(high cost) ...
    Once again i stress that if DOT players want to play a slower set up style the POWER cost should compliment the slower tedious setup vs BURST.. Lets not have this issue again where BURST is out performing vs DOTS by a WIDE MARGIN.. Burst powers should be kept in check by power cost/consumption.. If you see a power in two different power cost categories.. its because comparatively speaking to what it should cost.. See the parenthesis description for differences.
  9. Trexlight Devoted Player

Actually Electricity was classified as a DoT Power with the Introduction to Advanced mechanics. before it had "some' DoT damage but not a whole lot until AMs came into the picture. Only DoT Electric had pre-GU36 was Electrogenesis and Electroburst.
    • Like x 2
  10. hotsizz1e03 Committed Player

And electrocute. :p
  11. Celestial Powers Committed Player

Uh, Electrocute? Voltaic Bolt? Electrobomb?

Voltaic Bolt put a it's own DoT on anything electrified and Electrobomb had 3-4 DoTs after the initial burst.
    • Like x 1
  12. bmce84 Loyal Player

So after all this it's clear the plan was never to let you pick between weapons or tray, one way or another you have to use weapons no matter what rotation you use, yet WM still doesn't regen power which makes no sense since it doesn't give you a damage boost anymore, and with people having to spec into Might for ability damage their precision would still be low so WM damage wouldn't be over powering.
  13. Trexlight Devoted Player

Those were done Post GU36, part of the Advance mechanic. PreGu36 didnt do those. Electrocute yes because its an AoE field attack
  14. Mohican378 Dedicated Player

Or maybe its on test so they can figure out where the sweet spot for power costs is, allowing them to create a system that works for playing with the tray?

You guys love jumping to these negative conclusions like this version of the game is going live tomorrow.

All of this is kind of moot in my opinion, because no matter how much choice is offered, there will still end up being a "best" loadout for each power, for each role, that everybody not using will be ridiculed for it until they do use it. Rotation choice doesn't really come from the developers, it comes from the players, and it's not a choice, it's the illusion of choice.
  15. Crimson Mayhem Loyal Player

FOTM builds will always be a thing in any game with a metagame. That's not the problem. However, giving the options back into the players' hands for them to find viable builds is a huge improvement over developer made "official" builds. I guarantee you, even when the revamp goes live and the meta settles on some FOTM builds there will be a lot more diversity between builds for each powerset. Maybe there will even be ways to make "anti-meta" builds (like iconic tanking back in the days) that aren't anything like the FOTM but are still viable.
    Perfect balance isn't possible and not every build can be viable, but opening up options and letting the meta evolve from player exploration is how it should be.
    • Like x 2
  16. Tilz Loyal Player

High: 500
    Medium: 300
    Low: 150

That are the base values.
  17. hotsizz1e03 Committed Player

You bring up a good point but i dont want to really stray from the issue which is the power cost for DOT power movesets.. DOT power movesets should always cost less because the time it takes. The ability for Electric to create multiple burst loadouts vs multiple DOT loadouts, while making DOT loadouts compete vs Burst loadouts..I enjoy and prefer using DOTS as my DPS loadouts. I really dont want another issue with DOTs being sooo inferior vs Burst loadouts again.. Is all im saying.. Peace
  18. Trexlight Devoted Player

Thats very true but this is only if Electricity or even Nature will still be "DoT" Powers which currently on Test, it isnt really like it is with it's AM on Live. We have to be careful not to compare the changes on Test to Live since everything is changing.
    • Like x 1
  19. Crimson Mayhem Loyal Player

I just did another test to bring the self power regen to its limits. Here's my spec:

- CR175
    - DPS gear
    - Controller stance for the auto PoT (tick of 400 on average)
    - 10x Power VIII (844 each plus 2x202 from affinity)
    - 4x Power v6.2 (582 each)
    - 150SP in Power (11470 total)
    - Energy Soder Mk VIII (2188)
    - Reserve Tank chest mod (+5%)
    - Power&Supercharge League Proficiency (+5%)
    - Power received League Proficiency (+3% just applying to PoT if I had to guess)

My final stats:
    - 50024 Power (note for the "extra stats aren't enough" crowd: I just more than doubled my total Power with optional stats!)
    - 9343 Might

Here's the rotation I used:
    Mass Levitation -> [TK Push -> Psychic Shock] repeat until Mass Levitation is off cooldown
    My target was white Raven in Gotham Wastelands.

So basically I just rotated between some of the cheapest powers I have, with a ridiculously huge Power pool, passive PoT and no clipping whatsoever... well yeah I still ran out of Power after 18 casts (and as many seconds), and that was with Raven being kind of lazy and not forcing me to break out even once.

Myth: "You can play from tray if you invest more into Power" BUSTED

Seriously though, I thought that my 33k build from yesterday was already over the top, but this right here finally convinced me that "from tray" isn't possible at all right now. Not even with auto PoT, the cheapest possible rotation and maxed out Power (well the maximum I could get with 170SP - with 25 more SP I could have actually maxed out Power and gained another ~7349 Power from the innate and ~8101 total).

I'm absolutely fine with having to spec for heavy Power and using cheaper powers for a tray build, but imo crits aren't negotiable and we shouldn't have to ignore gear mod affinities or include Soders and Proficiencies to spec effectively. With mixed Power mods (464 each) and 110 out of 170 SP in Power, playing from tray (or just fast weapon clipping) should be comfortably possible at CR175. That leaves pure Might or Might&Power specs for power combos, Might&Prec for slower combo/SC, and pure Prec for WM builds.
    • Like x 7
  20. Electrizzaro Loyal Player

Nicely stated
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.