Stat Buffs in pvp being praised.

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by MyDpsIsBetter, Jan 11, 2016.

1. MyDpsIsBetter Dedicated Player

I just read through that entire thread before it was locked and it made me sick to my stomach to see players praising stat capping and buffing players in pvp. For five years now I have supported this game and seen many changes happen, players come and go and the rise and fall of a once great pvp concept. I don't know how much longer the Devs and I say this with respect to Mepps/Spytle ect can't see that the direction they choose to go with pvp hasn't and isn't working. For going on three years now pvp has been going down a hill that is only making it get worse with every change to pvp. In no way should a undergeared player be rewarded with any kind of a stat buff, this is a MMO you get out of a MMO what you put into it a player earns gear should be rewarded with a huge advantage over a player without that tier of gear. If a player wants to earn gear legends has always been a said option for a player to learn the counter system and also earn gear.
    Skill points, I have never been much of a pve player but with the downfall of pvp I have grown towards it to get my fix for Dc with that said in the pvp while I didn't care for pve I ran it to earn skill points to be more efficient, a concept that made the game rewarding. The quality of players this game produced at that time period were amazing, today players don't care if they have thirtytwo sp cause they don't mean as much as they did at one point. Find a way to better reward high skill points, return the rps system, and considering removing the blue imm system and give better rewards in pvp "base items, things that could be used in pve ect" if you want a return in pvp activity this is where you start. For three years now you have been ignoring players that know what a large amount of players not only want but would bring in new pvp players and instead have been listening to very small amount of players who only post here that are completely out of touch with the pvp community. Thank you for your time and I challenge you devs with respect to leave this thread up and see how your players feel, I will try my best to bring as many players as I can to this thread.
    • Like x 9
  2. ChillCat Loyal Player

Nope. The thread was locked for a reason. Let it go, leave it alone, walk away. Focus on the 5th anniversary fun about to start in just over an hour, and save yourself the stress.
    • Like x 4
  3. MyDpsIsBetter Dedicated Player

Long as I can I will always hope for the best with this game and voice that, I want this game to reach the potential it has.
    • Like x 1
  4. Soul Dedicated Player

Please stick around, and if possible, take part in testing.

Your opinion matters and I really want you to voice it when subjects you care about arise.

Thank you! :)
    • Like x 2
  5. Clutchmeister Loyal Player

Just to point out it wasn't so much the capping everyone was defending, just that buffing new players up to a competitive level was ok.

I'm pretty sure everyone agrees with the caps being adjusted/removed completely as long as it doesn't cause too many problems (which it shouldn't currently).
    • Like x 9
  6. ChillCat Loyal Player

No argument there. The reason the other thread was locked has absolutely 0% to do with PVP. The other thread was locked because we have a collection of very passionate players (good) that struggle with the skill of saying "I disagree, here's why, and let's leave it at that" (bad). Until the community as a whole learns to master that skill, every thread like the last one will be locked and lost with nothing to show for it.

If the urge to post is too great, I highly recommend stating your position in which you most firmly believe and ignore every response that comes after. Ultimately, Devs are the only ones that can fix what's broken, so pretend you're stating your case to a Dev and let them decide what to do next because that's what's going to happen anyway.
    • Like x 4
  7. MyDpsIsBetter Dedicated Player

Thank you for your input Clutch but If stat buffing could come as a comprise that the stats given would be two tiers lower then top gear or when stat buffed you have some serious draw back to it then it would be better received. But when some of the best pvp players on USPS side and I say this cause I don't know what goes on with the EU side ect, but from what I have gathered a large amount of players simply don't even care about being geared any longer because the difference between being stat buffed and having the highest tier pvp gear isn't much of a gain. I understand many players do not enjoy spending time gearing it losing matches ect but the truth is back in 2011 when you started this game, with every loss you got in pvp and we all know how big the grind was for pvp gear back then you learned the game more and more., that is not being taught anymore and in return is not only affecting pvp but also pve. I have said this in the past for three years now pvp has been going down hill it's time for a big change.
  8. Soul Dedicated Player

I wish I was mature enough to be content with that.. I'll admit, I get too passionate about certain things and I end up unable to stop myself from responding :(
    • Like x 1
  9. MyDpsIsBetter Dedicated Player

I understand your post and that is never why I have been here, I went through the post and took everyone's feedback and ignored the non sense. My only goal has ever been to unite the players to reach a common goal coming up with solutions to the problems, and reaching a comprise if needed, as everyone can agree pvp needs to be addressed.
    • Like x 1
  10. ChillCat Loyal Player

Admirable goal. I respect that approach immensely and I sincerely hope everyone follows it.
    • Like x 1
  11. MyDpsIsBetter Dedicated Player

Thanks for that, when ever I have the time these days I try to get on the test server and keep up with the game.
  12. ChillCat Loyal Player

Acknowledgement is the first step towards betterment. All you need now is time, patience and chocolate.....lots and lots of chocolate.
    • Like x 2
  13. CrappyHeals Devoted Player

I would just like to see the people that put in the work rewarded for it..no caps/buff and I would also like to see newer players have to work their way up like the rest of us so they don't miss out on stuff that helps better them as a player. And honestly players will feel more rewarded for fighting their way to the top rather then getting a boost, I know I do.

May be there can be a easy solution. One pvp arena that has stat advantages and another arena where people can be more equal. That way you can still have competitive play and the more casual approach. Something I do know for sure is the game really needs that ultra competitive mode that everyone loved.
    • Like x 4
  14. Clutchmeister Loyal Player

I think part of the problem is the caps are preventing people with higher skill points from truly making the most of them for certain roles/powers, and are only fully utilised for a couple like nature bug.

I think the way the gear is done right now is good - the best set is definitely better than the lower set, but not to a huge degree. The small increases are definitely going to matter in the long run as even if you're only pushing out a few more points of damage/power/healing, it still builds up and is needed if you want to min/max your character and ensure you have every advantage you could attain (while also benefiting more from % bonuses in certain powersets).

The problem with the early days was just how much better gearsets were, even the cash gear was pretty useless in comparison to top tier gear. The issue with this is it makes the learning process so much more difficult, as even if you somehow manage to play correctly you still lose. It makes it harder for someone to objectively look back at their previous game and pick out exactly what they did wrong, as to them it simply looks as though they got trounced by superior stats (this is why for a long time legends players were seemingly so much better at the counter mechanics than arena players, at least on my server). Sure you can just play legends to avoid that until you have top tier gear, but I'm sure a lot of people want to level up just using their own character.

In my opinion, stat buffing is fine because it enables new players to be on a competitive level to ensure they can start learning from the beginning and also don't get put off too early (which is important as the devs have stated they really want to retain new blood). I think if the stats were boosted to the lowest tier of gear + fully modded with mods 4 levels lower than the highest (so if VI expert is the highest synthetics you can purchase, they'd have the equivalent of IV mods in with 100 skill points) it'd be easier, as top tier gear with VI experts in is far ahead in stats in comparison.

However, the stat clamps are what really hurt people who farm their SPs the most. They still provide an advantage - and I'd certainly more preferably be sat at 230-240 than 180 as a DPS - but their use is somewhat limited due to the caps for various roles (and even hurts might builds for DPS). If these were removed, then we'd soon start to see an increasing gap between top tier + high SP players compared to boosted players but at least lower level players can be on a close enough footing to where they won't feel completely and utterly helpless.

I think having players boosted to a low-but-competitive level while removing stat caps is the best compromise between accommodating new players and allowing those who farm to hold an advantage.

It really does suck that PvP players are forced into farming PvE if they want to min/max - especially if they hate PvE - but that's another matter...

But while we're at it....

More ways to earn skill points specifically for PvP would be great too, whether that's more PvP specific feats or alternate ways. But again, different topic :p
    • Like x 6
  15. comrade sonya Committed Player

My 2 cents

I've been playing GW 2 for the past couple years on and off, mainly World v World (giant server battles) and PVP. I still have a lot to learn and understand but one thing that makes PVP fun is the chance to que up and be on similar footing wit people sans skill. I still can lose, and do, to more skilled players but what's important to me is that I feel like I have a chance and that's what makes it fun. I'm able to learn how to PVP and learn how to use my character's abilities.

On DCUO I'm more of a veteran and I get my pvp gear quickly through very annoying and frustrating process of usually ending up facing the same group of very skilled players such as ACE 1 (>:l). So I understand both sides, on one hand I worked for my gear and I earned it, that's why I should get a gear advantage. On the other hand, buffing people allows more of the community to participate and learn their powers, roles, and refine their skills. It's easy to dismiss this point or say that's what legends is for but legends doesn't teach people about roles or their very own powers they'll need to know in arenas.

Either way it's important to think of what's good for the growth of the community instead of just what benefits yourself solely. If a level 15 beats you because their stats were buffed maybe focus on improving your skills instead of focusing on their gear level. PVP should be more skilled based imo, and I don't think stat buffing goes against this idea entirely. Plus open world is always somewhere gear reigns supreme :)
    • Like x 5
  16. Brother Allen Loyal Player

Hehe...yes while they are chocolate they have peanut butter and that makes them...so...much...better.

[IMG]

Great...now I want some Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.
    • Like x 1
  17. MyDpsIsBetter Dedicated Player

You made some great points one especially "(this is why for a long time legends players were seemingly so much better at the counter mechanics than arena players, at least on my server)" That was also the case on our server, players that didn't want to get stomped by higher geared or skilled players farmed their gear in legends and by the time they came out they were better prepared for arenas, I think we can agree Legends is the purest form of pvp. "I think having players boosted to a low-but-competitive level while removing stat caps is the best compromise between accommodating new players and allowing those who farm to hold an advantage." I can get behind that idea if the stat boost would level a player off about about the stats of a person in bare punchline gear.

The issue that still would remain would be enticing players new and old that have fell out of pvp a incentive to get back into it something to strive for. Selling rare Base items, Styles, Auras, Special Buff Sodas"PvE only" for pvp marks, special weekends or a week randomly where for a short time period a player can earn a rare past aura would have many players Queing again. Would get many players back interested in pvp.
    • Like x 2
  18. Brother Allen Loyal Player

Ability to get opposing faction style drops from PVP when you win that are tradeable would be nice as well. A nice way for PVP players to make a little $$ while also enticing players to PVP who want the styles.
    • Like x 1
  19. MyDpsIsBetter Dedicated Player

The issue with this is it hasn't been good for pvp, what was meant to do good for pvp has done more harm then good. 2011-2012 issue was it was stable but wasn't bringing in newer players. The issue of 2013-2015 was it lost the older players slowly but brought in new players that temp played and lost interest quickly. Comrade sonya I have heard much of you, Eminence always said you were a good player but as arenas go I don't really remember you much in my time maybe we missed each other in time periods of competitive pvp. But skill in groups always won over gear that hasn't changed in premades as a whole, in 1v1 I can tell you no matter your gear a low level can catch you with a counter and one shot you which doesn't sit well with a large amount of players on the game. GW works differently then Dc, I never tried to compare to Dc to others games pvp/pve wise because the combat system on this game is really unique.
  20. MyDpsIsBetter Dedicated Player

Exactly I know so many heros that would die, to have a chance to farm X amount of marks to have the chest piece for Vengeful Surgeon Style.