Spam in in-game email!!!??

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by RealTegan, Aug 20, 2019.

1. RealTegan Dedicated Player

• Like x 2
  2. Jade Rebel Dedicated Player

A friend got this too on the hero side, showed us in discord
  3. Rainnifer Committed Player

That's crazy, they are becoming bold and showing off just how much they can get away with. Smh.
    • Like x 3
  4. Cyro Committed Player

You too huh? I'm actually impressed but i will be pissed off the next one i get
  5. Draconiano Committed Player

Seems like it's time to restrict even more the free players!
    • Like x 2
  6. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

It's got to be one or the other but I find it hard to believe you can't do anything about it. They are annoying, disruptive, and at last look against in game rules. If I go into chat and start throwing around bigotry and racism, I'm gone and my account is locked before the sun goes down but these people are relentless. When I see the same name spam the same garbage 20 times in 20 seconds, it's damned annoying. and having to put them on ignore...do you know how long my ignore list is and 90% of it is gold spammers. Please, for the love of all that is Holy, get rid of these annoying spammers.
    • Like x 5
  7. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

And the devs are either unwilling or unable to do anything about it. It can be both but it can't be neither.
    • Like x 1
  8. Wonder Wiccan Dedicated Player

Yeah I got that on a alt that I am leveling too. Part of me was pissed part of me was impressed. All of me was over it.
    • Like x 2
  9. GoldenDodge Dedicated Player

Agreed, especially now if they are sending in game emails to people now trying to make sales.
    Isn't that against the TOS as well?
    Would hope to hear something from our Community Manager or another dev as this is going to only get worse.
  10. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Wow.
    • Like x 3
  11. August Moon Well-Known Player

increase ability to ingame mail to memers of and over 30+ and remove the level 30 skip option
  12. Hraesvelg Always Right

I hope your post doesn't get moderated. I once posted a screenshot of a gold spam bot and got slapped with a blacklisting hit.
  13. dresserball Dedicated Player

• Like x 1
  14. loupblanc Dedicated Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 3
  15. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

Not sure if I should feel lucky they somehow skipped my alt or be offended I was ignored.. I pick LUCKY. One semi GOOD thing from this as long as you don't delete the email you have the absolute perfect piece of evidence to simply forward to any person from Daybreak proving the sender is a gold spammer. Last I checked that was a serious TOS violation and should result in a perma ban.

One question..... It has been brought up that the picture shows the spammer's name which is "technically" black listing. But the individual in question is clearly violating the TOS and needs to be banned so how exactly is the Op wrong to post the picture? We are not talking about some one coming here and saying don't team with Garbageman 673B he suck (apologizes if there actually is a Garbageman 673B I just made a name up LOL). The Email send in the pic is clearly a gold spammer trying yet another way to try and get people to buy in game cash from his or her company. He or She is not PLAYING the game .. just violating the rules of the game to try and make money off it.
  16. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

While I agree I am not sure what they can do to stop them to be honest. And look back a bit.. the devs have tried numerous thing to curb if not stop them and the spammers just keep finding ways around it

let's see to date..

1. assuming most, if not all, spammers were F2P a serious limit was placed on how often and how much a F2P player could even use chat. The result? Well first off we discovered that a good many of them spent the $5 and simply became Premium members and then, even worse, the F2P discovered all they had to do was log out and back on and the game assumed it WAS a new day. Barely even slowed the spammers done for a single day (if it lasted that long)

2. Placed a limit on the length of posts in chat. The result? again within a day or so, If not hours, the spammers simply revised their posts to be short enough.

3. Used the Profanity filter to make using certain word common in any Spammer post to be filtered out. Once again all the Spammer did was revise their text and use different words or symbols to keep right on advertising.

The worst part was while these attempts may have forced the spammers to adapt it did not stop them but the restrictions did affect the entire player base. Suddenly a brand new F2P player checking the game out to see IF they wanted to stick around which was exactly what I did years ago.... I was F2P for a few days before I decided I like it here and subscribed, But those players now find themselves with the issue that if they find themselves confused..TRYING to ask a question in game can be a real nightmare. Then the length restriction arrived and I personally have found myself having to sent more than one reply because my response to a players question got cut off.. TOO LONG. The Profanity filter thing is minor in comparison but to some it could be annoying to type in one thing and have something like "TOY PUPPY" come out instead when you hit send.

Fact is some major changes need to occur to TRY and stop spamming. First we need a global addressing system... So if I turn in a spammer using one name .. every single name he uses gets banned so he practically needs to go buy a new computer to continue. Next a simpler and easier way to report spammers needs to be put into place. Give us a button, or whatever, that will allow us to just click once and that spammer is reported and on the way to being banned. THIRD an dedicated full time person, or persons, need to be hired to respond to those reports immediately.

Now for the really bad news.. I used to play City of Heroes where everything I just described was in place and even with all of that.. we still had spammers right up to the day the game shut down permanently. Like I said I am not sure what they can do that would eliminate them completely.
    • Like x 3
  17. TheBatmanFanBG Well-Known Player

I played this morning and fortunately i didn't saw this on my characters! The Devs should really do something about this problem but without restricting the F2P players more! It's ridiculous to punish the F2P players only because of the stupid Gold Spammers!
  18. Aren Sul Committed Player

Even if it doesn't work, I still wish there was a quick, easy "report gold spammer" button. Understandably, to prevent abuse, it would log the name to be reviewed. Although you can add a certain amount of AI to it (for example, if X number of users report an account as a gold spammer, block).

However, I think one additional feature to that button would make me happy: it would automatically block that name across my account.
  19. Aren Sul Committed Player

The real issue at heart is the same that affects many MMORPGs: an internal economy with an auction-based system. While this definitely adds an interesting addition to the game, it's - as we all know by now - is prone to the abuse of gold spammers and gold buyers. I've often tried to think of a more robust economic alternative to be able to use an auction house, but haven't yet. However, I did consider one drastic "what-if:

What if there were not auction house? What if everything that is bought in auctions could, instead, be bought by earned gold from a vendor? Yes, this removes the interpersonal economy, which for many is a fun element, but on the other hand, it keeps game play as a focus and there will be zero gold spammers - that is, you won't be able to earn gold by selling to other people. I'd also prevent trading gold outside of your account. Trading of equipment, etc. between players can still happen. So, in effect, we move to a bartering economy without auctions and an earn-by-playing ability for everything currently in auction.

This may seem to like we're taking an integral dimension away from the game, but it's not a dimension people are looking for when they sign up to play. I have to assume 99% of the people are not thinking, "Hey look. A multiplayer game based on DC comic lore! I can't wait to get in there and make money on auctions."
  20. Brother Allen Loyal Player

They simply can't stop the gold sellers. The main reason for this is because the game is free to play so gold sellers can just make new characters non-stop to put out the message out about their website.

The issue is Time Capsules. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not justifying the gold sellers existence in the game as yes they can be a pain in the butt if you spend the majority of your time in the PVE phase (I choose not to). However, before Time Capsules arrived we did not have a flood of gold sellers spamming chat non-stop to sell their gold. Why? Well because nothing in game warranted you to go out of your way for the ridiculous amount of in-game cash one needs to finish the Time Capsule collections. Before Time Capsules we had the occasional Booster Bundle but while those style items were nice no one really felt that urge of "I gotta have it" because they were for styles and not progression. However, when Daybreak decided it would be a smart thing to have progression tied to Luck Boxes with an ABSURDLY high chance you were NOT going to get what you hoped...well then yeah. They opened the door hard for gold sellers because it gave players a desire to have hundreds of millions of dollars so they could buy the pieces they were missing, instead of playing the Time Capsule game and hope they got what they needed. So, instead of a player throwing $100 at Daybreak on the "chance" they would get what they wanted, they could throw a $100 to a gold seller and "guarantee" they get what they wanted by buying the items off the broker.

In the end, DCUO has made a killing off time capsules praying on the gambling tenancies of some players and the side-effect has been gold sellers have made a killing off time capsules creation.
    • Like x 3