Sorry, but we aren't looking for a solo healer

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by MCAZR, Feb 24, 2014.

1. MCAZR New Player

We needed to pug a healer for an EO run and the guy assumed he would be solo healing and left despite reassurances that we'd be fine running 3 dps', 2 healers, 2 trolls, and a tank. I don't get it. If a group has a 3 dps setup for EO, you would think they knew what they were doing. Of course we completed it as we've done it many times, a little slow at 12:xx on the speed feat clock, but there are some things we can work on (like pug fewer people :p) and of course pillar phases can slow a run down.

We also ran Nexus and one guy asked if we had enough burn with 3 dps'. It was very apparent that this guy was newer to the content. Again, I don't get it. We're talking about the uber nerfed Nexus where some people in future generations of players won't even know there are shields in the final room.

Where are these guys getting this solo heal thing from?
    • Like x 12
  2. Black Dawn Steadfast Player

It's so annoying! We recently tried to pug a healer for something (sorry, I don't remember what) and when they found out I was also healing, they said: "I only solo heal" and then left! How full of yourself do you have to be to say that? So, so stupid.
    • Like x 29
  3. Dr Improbable Dedicated Player

I hate solo healing. It's very tense for me. I don't know why ANY healer would be so full of themselves now, there's almost as many healers as dps'.
    • Like x 16
  4. Black Dawn Steadfast Player

Also, it's lonely! I love having a healing buddy.
    • Like x 15
  5. Jamie New Player

What a bunch of noobs. You wanted 2 healers and a tank? Just kidding. I can't believe that someone would be against having a second healer in a raid run unless you are trying something more than just simply completing the run. I think it says more about the quality of the DPS's if you need 4 of them than if you run 2 healers.
    • Like x 4
  6. Titans1373 Dedicated Player

I love solo healing. Don't need to though. Still I prefer solo healing.
    • Like x 2
  7. Notangie New Player

I've watched my husband try to tank raids with solo healers...it has never been successful. Maybe in league runs it's a different story, but in pug groups, it's not a good trend.

Anecdote:We were running Nexus with a league we're friends with, the 1st time I healed because their electric healer was just learning to heal, I don't mind carrying an inexperienced healer. It went smoothly. I didn't want to reset, so the next time I was trolling. The healer we picked up was full 88 gear (this was when that was the highest), he was talking about how he glitched dox to get his gear & now he solos everything. He made it sound like he was an amazing healer, but was nature & just barely keeping up with an electric healer who didn't even know his loadout (the previous run the electric healer was asking a leaguemate what loadout to use). That is the quality of pug 'solo-healers.' That run was unsuccessful.
    • Like x 9
  8. Zerefu New Player

Here's the thing with that, it's not about the 4 DPS or 3 trolls it's about the ability of the player and eventually goes back to the progress of the group. If I, alone can get your health back up to full almost instantly to the point where you only die from 1-shots, what is the benefit of another healer?

In super nerfed Nex and Dox, for all practical purposes there really are no more "Oh ****" moments to worry about, so they wouldn't help there, you're already healing everything so they're just burning power and generally the content can go smoother with one.

I only solo heal and that's because a second healer is more or less proven to merely burn the group's overall power. A good solo healer won't die much if at all and when the raids are the way they are, you probably wouldn't die anyway.

I can see why someone would think it's a pride thing, but it's really a practical thing. With the raids being so easy, there really isn't much of a safe side anymore due to the fact that the bosses literally never pull any BS they used to in which case you would need 2 healers.

The only reason to run 2 healers is for gear in some fashion or because one, alone, can't handle all of the damage incoming, but if one can handle all of the incoming damage, what is the second one doing but just wasting power doing what I've already done?

I prefer to solo heal because I like to see the raw ability of my power and see for sure what I'M doing and not guessing who healed what- besides another healer is only using up my power! The best set up I see is 3 trolls, that way everyone has power for days.

The only time I DON'T solo heal is when. Actually scratch that, WAS Origin Crisis at launch and once I hit 3200 resto, I could start solo healing again. It was better to have more burn at that especially and my being able to heal alone was a major asset seeing as in the burn was good enough to finish at that point.
    • Like x 1
  9. Whiteroom New Player

Yeah, I got stuck setting up an AnB run with a newer Tank and Healer. Healer wasn't confident he could solo it. So I saw a guy calling out solo healer. I invited him, as I always figured it meant "solo capable". Guy left as soon as he saw there was another healer queuing up.

I really don't get it. Unless you have horrible DPS, burn won't be an issue. I always see the bigger issue as being when a healer goes down and can't be picked up, or is down long enough for the tank to go down. A second healer is a really nice safety net. Any runs that stall out on the last boss with a solo healer can usually be resolved by a second one.
    • Like x 6
  10. space outlaw Well-Known Player

yea I hate solo healing it put more stress on me and im using a lot of power to heal them and solo healing sometimes work if you got the right trolls to give power which by the way some don't want to give a lot of power and prefer to do more cc and when im dps and I only have one healer I worry because if that healer go down we all go down starting with the tank then dps then troll

most of the time its better to have more than one role in raids to be on the safe side
    • Like x 4
  11. Redmash New Player

I'm on the fence here.... One side says, ok solo heal means more power or burn and One side says if we wipe a few times its because of the one healer. I mean we all know if the solo healer gets knocked out your screwed. I cringe when solo healers try to to pick ups. I know most 5k resto healers can solo pretty much everything, its just alittle scary in a pug when you don't know the guys skill. My league uses 2 healer 1 tank 3 dps 2 trolls for everything and we do very well.
    • Like x 2
  12. JonnyD New Player

I LOL'd so hard at that...I don't do healing duets, see ya! You musta been like:
    [IMG]
    • Like x 4
  13. Derio 15000 Post Club

Its sad that us healers are now going to be a 1-man/woman show because of our community.
    • Like x 11
  14. MCAZR New Player

Fair enough. You want to solo heal. I understand. I don't heal some content because it's so boring even when solo healing. Although the skill of the average pug healer has gone way down, it seems like the dps role has suffered even more and groups are relying on healers to carry these players through.

The thread was more about the trend towards solo healing to carry lower skilled dps' and people having the mindset that 3 dps' can't get the job done. Sure, 4 is faster, but when people start doubting the ability of 3 to get content done, that's where I have a problem.

Anyways, I see your points and in the end it's about playing it the way you enjoy playing.

Fwiw, 2 top tier trolls should be enough to power a group although it's been my experience that the average pug troll is lacking so much that 3 of them won't normally match the power out of 2 top tier trolls.
  15. Whiteroom New Player

It's the whole, "Resto don't matter if your dead." thing. I'm sure a 5K solo healer will get us through, if they get through.
    • Like x 1
  16. Deranya Dedicated Player

Just because you can solo heal and just because everyone else seems to do it, doesn't mean you should. I can solo heal, but I hate it. It was already mentioned that its tense, its stressing, lonely and just no fun. Sure, I like the challenge, but you feel the pressure a lot when you start seeing people die and die again, most of the time its not even your fault when they do, but doesn't matter, does it?
    No one should judge the set up a group is going for ... well unless you end up with 2 tanks 1 troll 4 heals and 1 dps xD but most of the time it works the way its planned. Why question it?

I want my healer partners!!! :( I want to be lazy at times, I want to stay behind in AnB xD .. well maybe not, but I want the same right as a troll or DPS and play with a player of my role
    • Like x 5
  17. Infernale New Player

I don't really mind either way whether I solo heal or run with another healer, but I can see a few reasons why people may prefer to solo heal.

Say a single person takes spike damage. If you have 2 healers, and they both see the spike damage, then one doesn't necessarily know if the other is going to save that person, and may each spam a few powers to restore that person's health - when in reality, just one of those two healers doing so would have brought that person back to full health. Or, you could have 1 healer with a higher latency than the other, and can't see that the other healer with lower latency has already saved someone - so they hit a heal to save someone that the other healer has already saved half a second ago.

Even if several players take a bit of damage, as a celestial healer I might perhaps clip Admonish with Divine Light, which could be enough on its own to bring plenty of them back to full health. At that same time, the nature healer I'm grouped with might use Blossom, eating up their pheromones, having to recast them all again to get HoT's going. Either one of us might have been fine on our own to bring the team back to full health, but unless you're in a league run with voice communications, one healer doesn't necessarily know what the other is going to do.

I guess there is also the concern about healers overwriting if they are both the same powerset. Some just can't be bothered checking what powerset the other healer is and trying to work together to use loadouts with minimal overlapping, and just solo-heal so that they know they won't have any problems (the old "they keep stealing my pheromones" argument).

If you're going to run 2 healers, it's probably best to have them co-ordinate well, have one focus mainly on keeping up HoT's, have the other focus on spike healing, so that the two aren't cutting each other's grass, so to speak. This type of co-ordination between healers doesn't happen too often though (especially in PUGs), and while it doesn't really cause a huge problem, some see it as a bigger problem than it really is, and only want to solo heal.

And, I guess there is always the view that the position of the 2nd healer could have instead been used by another troller to give more power to everyone (1 healer with full power is better than 2 healers with no power... although, usually the dps just suck-up that extra power from the other troller anyway :p) , or another dps to increase the burn, and perhaps complete the content faster (even though half the time I see this, at least 1 of the dps is terrible and just gets carried by the others anyway...).

TL;DR - blame lack of communication, lazy/impatient players, and/or DPSers :D.
    • Like x 1
  18. LightSp33d Well-Known Player

Really hating this solo healing stage that most PUGS are going through... I feel as if they get it from T3 and T4 because most PUGS I'm in consist of new members who are probably already used to being carried by a geared solo healer. (Always seeing shouts for t5 healers to solo t3 and t4 raids) Funny thing is, whenever I find myself soloing, the dps tend to be worse. You'll have 1 or 2 good dps doing some decent damage and then 2 other dps that are possibly just being carried through. I'd rather run a 3 dps loadout with a more consistent damage output and a back-up healer just in case I die...Hate when I die soloing because it's basically guaranteed to be a wipe if I'm not picked up in time...
    • Like x 3
  19. shadwfyre New Player

I solo heal most of the time HOWEVER I love having a healer buddy. As others have said it takes the edge off
    I wish all the raids REQUIRED the 2-2-2-2 setup.
    • Like x 1
  20. Maxx_Watt Loyal Player

I like having another healer so I can show how beast mode I am.