Sorcery: A Data-Driven Review

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by 478874, Aug 30, 2017.

1. planetkiller500 Active Player

Sorcery was never meant to be played like that. Alot of us want more than just spamming a move 12 times, that sounds so boring.This thread is not about using cheese type moves,its about improving sorcery to be a better power overall since it didnt get what it needed in revamp.
    • Like x 2
  2. mrx Level 30

The Spamming of Vengeance 12x doesnt works...?
    on 3 Targets i burn max. 9k, my best loadout demaged 11k, this is too low for max CR and full SP. I tested all loadouts
    incl. iconicĀ“s i cant find no way for doing a good Job as DPS. Most times i do heal, sorc healer is realy strong.
    • Like x 1
  3. VioletSorceress Committed Player

Depressing thing is that even if projectiles are fixed, without additional changes Sorcery's PftT would still be lacking. We wont have enough 300 power cost heavy hitters and we dont have any good melee/ midrange harder hitting abilities.

Karmic Backlash and all similar point black superpowers within power sets are not worth the trouble at all. Most of the time you will miss hitting more than 1 target unless Tank groups adds tight super fast and keeps them stunned at place. Maybe if such point black abilities can be buffed by utilizing PIs or their AoE distance is increased to something like 7m radius spheres...
    • Like x 2
  4. MastaMind Dedicated Player

I switched to Sorcery after the revamp simply because I wanted a pet based power and I heard Earth was OP. I started as Munitions so I was quite tired of having "Teammates" complaining about me out-damaging them and blaming it entirely on what power I picked. Needless to say Sorcery does seem to be a low hitting power these days. Even prior to the revamp I was always the type of person who wanted to make sure that each and every power on my rotation was a power that I liked. I did recently discover that Vengeance could be spammed for hard hitting damage, but if I wanted that from a powerset I would have went Earth or whatever the fotm power is.

I think that Sorcery is phenomenal as a healer. I wouldn't trade it for anything. The damage side could be better but even before I found Vengeance spam I was able to "top" most scoreboards with: Soul Siphon, Soul Barrage, Final Ruin, Fury, Soul Storm, and Circle. Then again I was end-game since a little bit before the revamp hit. So after maxing out my Might I really had no alternative to get stronger.
  5. Copper Scorpio New Player

Glad to see this post is still thriving based on the OPs Calculative efforts. So I'm also working on an after thought based on the direction sorcery's playstyle should flow according to the efforts put in to the latest revamp.

The solutions proposed in my previous reply may take time to digest but I want the devs to look at the suggested method of play for sorcery to be reformed from the creative perimeters it is incased in now.

Saying that to say this...sorcery is something out of this world let us not bound ideally to what the power is now but what the power can and will be.

I may not have been here during the later times of the AM spam if that's the market your interest are coming from then great thumbs up for the PFTT users, though that formula for play is not an acceptable option .

Me... lmao Call me ,Old School. The options of play provided are non existent. I'm calling for a a total revamp if anyone disagrees it's intended , but not acceptable if you have no clue how much has been stripped from the powers foundation because there's nothing to build on from what I've experienced.

We need cures not bandaids and as far as I see it most on this topic are meaningfully asking for the same thing. What is that thing?

A total overhaul to the power it self. I mean just take a look at the Sorcery's PI's made obsolete since revamp what ever and you tell me...

Speaking from a veterans point of view it's trash and nothing but filler. Whether it's those who have used the power set in its entirety from back in the day to the new school you have to be blind not to see how many powers in sorcery's load out options are recycled.
  6. Copper Scorpio New Player

Question, What are your thoughts concerning Temperary Summonings vs. Sustained Summonings ?

Second Question, How do we make either choice of your choosing a viable option for all playstyles ? ( What are the things that work and do not work)
  7. Copper Scorpio New Player

For thoughs who have experienc using sorcery's load out options since our most recent update I am asking for the opinions of all players new or old in order to push for more creative options to sorcery's gameplay.
  8. Copper Scorpio New Player

My apologies for the misspellings and errors in my post it's ironic how nothing can be finalized on the first atempt.Referring to Sorcery of course.
  9. VioletSorceress Committed Player

Ive started playing December 2010 and my first 2 toons are Nature and Sorcery. We have to be realistic and acknowledge that Exploding PIs are almost completely removed from game. Players summoning physical objects have been causing problems so things like Soul Well and Meteor are no longer pick able. During my time as a Sorcery DPS, the times power set have been successful are with Soul Barrage jump canceling, Whirlwind Dervish clip, Phase Dodge clip, Clown Box/ Transmutation exploding.
    Best thing that happened to Sorcery was during GU32 when Life Element (throw able healing crystal) was replaced with Shard of Life. Sacrificial Offering used to heal based on the damage dealt to enemies (even though it wasnt in the description). Watcher was its own thing and we didnt have to feed him power. Soul Storm while dealing little damage wasnt missing its targets (was working as channeled type power exactly like Ice' Avalanche). Red Soul Aura and Golden Soul Aura provided constant PI and 10% crit. heal chance. The old floating skull type Guardian was better than its former version. The only thing missing in those nearly perfect times was Fury. Found 2 videos from my utube collection showing how thing were at some point of time, cause a video is worth more than 1000 words. :D

Here is an old video from showing these changes and preview of the powers:

Then after GU47 we were forced to feed Pets BUT there were 2 Options:
    Ritualistic Word - Was able to clip other harmful superpowers and was healing 4 people and feeding power to any of the 3 Pets. (Later was removed as universal Pet feeding Option and only for Watcher instead.)
    Offering - Wasnt able to clip other powers, provided Shield and Power to any of the 3 Pets. (Pretty much same as it is now)

Here is a video showing an optimal GU47, as you will see we were able to use Shard of Life+RitualisticWords+WoD in 1 clip.

I wouldnt mind going back to non feeding Pets, especially if Devs are gracious enough to add a Summon a Beastiamorph type of Pet like the one Circe has on her Legends loadout.

Still waiting for a Beastiamorph or Gorgon type of Back- ups trinket as well.
    EDIT: Well for some reason it wouldnt let me paste videos, so anyone interested will have to search them at utube:
    1st video is named DCUO [GU 32] Sorcery Revamp Summoning Tree by StarrySky .
    2nd video is DCUO - GU47 Sorcery DPS Revamp AM Loadout by iGAMER Mike .
  10. testserverbat New Player

Seems like this forum needs to be looked at again
  11. Kestral Committed Player

I wish Circle of Destiny could be the supercharge generator instead. Then I could actually try out a weapon based focus without having to lose Grand Summoning. It's already hard enough to build power for that supercharge even if you are just spamming the generator without it I'd only be able to use my supercharge once a raid.
  12. Vagrant Committed Player

I really want to switch from Mental to Sorcery. I am able to put out good numbers for Mental and I really want to do the same for Sorcery. I loved playing Sorcery back in the day. I did some playing around on the test server lately and here are a couple of things I would like to see for Sorcery.

- All supercharges need some work a bit. Currently the best SC in my opinion is maybe Baleful Transmogrification. Only because its easy to build SC for being a 50% and its great for groups in terms of damage as it will tick fully to hit for around 20-30k for free but as a SC it should hit harder. Polymorph hits hard...but is single target and only ticks around 4-5 times for 5kish each tick. Then we have our signature Grand Summoning which is great....but honestly feels like it doesn't last long enough and its a 100%, honestly Grand Summoning should summon the 3 pets, give a might/prec buff as well as critical and potentially critical magnitude buffs.

- Weapon of Destiny needs to go back to the way it use to work. Currently Weapon of Destiny's precision buff is great, seriously it can make your weapon damage amazing. However, Weapon of Destiny was a signature move and honestly I would rather it go back to a might burst and potentially a slight precision buff after. If Weapon of Destiny cannot be changed back then it should be a supercharge generator.

- Transmutation is a joke now with how it hits. Why does Sorcery have 3-4 bad karma application powers? CoD, Transmutation, Soul Siphon and Karmic Suspension. We should have more powers that benefit from Bad Karma rather than apply.

- I've never liked pets and how they work in DC. Their AI is honestly just garbage, so unreliable with their attacks and how they work. I'm not sure what should be done to pets to make them better, having their own menu would be great but with the way our UI works it could never happen. But here are some small suggestions, Fury needs to give a might/prec buff when summoned and active. Watcher could give a similar rest buff as well but honestly I've never healed with Sorcery. The Guardian pet has never really been useful to an extent. To at least make it useful in maybe PVP or something, have Guardian give a defense buff as well as apply a shield to the user every now and then like an accomplice/sidekick.
  13. Kestral Committed Player

With the hotfix for projectiles Soul barrage is once again awesome to use in a dps loadout.
    • Like x 1
  14. Harlequin Devoted Player

No. This would make the pets mandatory. I don't want to use them at all because the AI and pet mechanics are so awful.
  15. testserverbat New Player

Pets do deserve a buff/revision though.
  16. Vagrant Committed Player

Here is Sorcery DPS in the new duo I recorded, I've been messing with Sorcery a bit and I do like the way I am playing here, but this is definitely not how most would play lol. Still not bad numbers at all for CR 209 vs a 212 Munitions.

17. VioletSorceress Committed Player

Gotta say, its not normal that non powered Fury's DoT(No Offering) is not on par with RobotSK or Guardian.

Then when I use Offering in Riddled with Crime open world content, Fury's "Big" attack hits for about 5K at 200cr but things like Shard of Life, Soul Barrage or Cyclonic Burst easily net me about same damage without crits and with a crit these Might based abilities deal twice as much damage compared to Fury in between Cross Weapon combos. These numbers are for Precision based build and exactly 60SP in Might.
    • Like x 1
  18. LeftToRight New Player

As I said previously Grand Summoning really needs to cost less and also be more useful
    It was orginally my favorite supercharge and now it's not even worth putting in your loadout
    • Like x 1
  19. NightZam New Player

Agreed. Sorcery is unfortunately quite useless today...they should make it great again because it's Sorcery, simple as that. Does anyone have any good Sorcery loadout that works fine now?
  20. Xibo Loyal Player

I am not Sorcery but did you try within the CoD cooldown apply Shard of Life-Offering-some 100 power cost-repeat?