Solo

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Ankh_Legacy, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

So the teaser is finally here and the full trailer is tomorrow.

This is a good teaser, there's a very Rouge One feel to it, which I think is good.

So glad I don't have to see "where's the Solo trailer" questions anymore.
  2. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Really hoping they haven't ret-conned his origins: he use to be an Imperial Officer before coming across an abused Wookiee and freeing him before fleeing the Empire, that's why he wore those pants with the leg stripes
  3. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

Remember that version is now Legends and was never canon to start with.

The pants thing never made any sense, it was always a stretch to try and make that connection. His pants were blue with a red stripe and tight fitting, Imperials only wear black or grey with no stripe and loose, not even close.

Now his boots could be thought of as Imperial but it seems that is a popular style in the SW galaxy, Lucas had them on close to everybody.

It feels like any time he does have with the Imps is going to be a con job, which is so perfect to the character. Now saving Chewie has always been quintessential to the characters that I believe Lucas designed himself, so that should be there in some form.
  4. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

This? Getting fracking tired of! Everything that made Star Wars what it was before Der Maus got hold of it is getting dumped (well, everything but the "Life Day" Special, which is getting re-mastered, re-stored and re-released)

Han was in the Imperial Navy, he was an Imperial Officer (or at least in training), he came across Chewie and some other Wookie's being mis-treated and he had he enough and helped free them

Oh, and Han shot first! And he and Leia had three children!!
  5. stärnbock Devoted Player

the force awakens was basicly an empty present box, packed in nostalgia. i never saw rogue one. the last jedi was a desecration. this one looks like a no brainer. for me, the only canon movies are episode 4, 5 and 6. the rest is garbage.
  6. Arwen Skywalker Loyal Player

what's a star wars?
    • Like x 1
  7. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

Now see that's where your issue lies. You (like many others) believed the old EU was canon, when it wasn't.

I understand it has been difficult for many to except but that's really their fault for ignoring Lucas every time he said only his movies were canon. Basically all of the EU was more like fan fiction that Lucas licensed out to keep his creation alive and make him a ton of money.

I do feel that the situation that has Han save Chewie will be the same, most likely it will mess up whatever con Han is pulling in the process. Plus even if his time as an Imp is a con job, he will still be an Imp for that short period of time, which keeps part of the EU history but just gives it a different angle. Which I feel makes it more fitting to the character.

I do agree, Han did shoot first. That was a dumb change that I cant understand why Lucas thought it needed to be done.
  8. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Lucas only started waffling that "only his movies" were canon after "Phantom Fart" was released, which means all those old stories were retro-actively made non-canon, that's why all the greats stopped writing stories at that time
  9. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

:confused: Errr....Not to be a negative nancy but the movie will be released in just 4 months and Disney / Lucasfilm decide to finally release a teaser? I mean remember there was that picture of the cast in the cockpit of the Millennium Falcon and that fan made poster but then there was no news whatsoever about the film. Sure, there was news of the director being replaced and the main actor playing Han Solo needing an acting coach, but then after that, nothing. Then the studio releases the movie's synopsis and interviews from the new director, Ron Howard and actor, Donald Glover, who plays Lando Calrissian, reassuring that the movie is still a go. Now knowing all that, I'm still on the fence. Despite Rogue One being okay and entertaining, the Last Jedi pretty much ruined any hype I have for any new Star Wars movie, especially this one.
    [IMG]
  10. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

That's a "yeah so" type of thing, so many people have become obsessed with trailers coming out 6 or months before a movie's release. There's absolutely no reason to have them out so far off, they get people hyped for a week or two, to what end, you still have to wait all those months to see it. Trailers are to get people in the seats, having them so early defeats that.

To point out John Wick had it's first add 2 weeks before release, that seemed to do well.

And lets face it, this is Star Wars, does it really matter if they even do a trailer at all?.
  11. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

Not true, that was his belief all the time. It was his creation, his child, nobody but him could tell it's true story.

The way that canon/continuity tier system was set up showed this clearly, since only his stuff was in the highest tier and all the other tiers had to conform to it when Lucas made changes. That is what pushed writers away, how messy the EU was and how their work could be made irrelevant on a whim.

Disney cleaning things up has brought back interest to writers, sadly the fans may drive them away again.
  12. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

This may be the first real dud in the SW franchise.
  13. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

I don't really know where this takes place in his story, with this. Still looks like a fun ride.

• Like x 1
  14. Telos Usr Dedicated Player

Yeah, lets all get hyped for another unneeded origin story, it worked out so well for Vader after all....
    Pass.
  15. TybeeTahiri Devoted Player

I think it looks fun, I’ll be seeing it for sure.
    • Like x 1
  16. StillDeathern Dedicated Player

Overall, the trailer actually peaked my curiosity a little.

I enjoyed the first three films (confusingly 4,5,6) loathed the remaining episodes (1,2,3) as well as the more current iterations, I was never a huge SOLO fan, but this has some appeal.
  17. JKwak Well-Known Player

18. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

This trailer at least mentions that he was in the flight academy, and thus explains his trousers, the rest of the trailer sounds like crap (Woody from "Cheers" putting together an 'Oceans Eleven' style team? and wasn't that the chick from Rogue One? at least sounds like her...)
  19. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Yes, you're right. There are certain franchises and brands that have such strong selling power already that fans will go see no matter what. Sure, while John Wick is an awesome action movie series that has it's loyal fan base, compared to Star Wars, it's not as well known to the average moviegoer and its not as embedded in modern popular culture. Now, while movie trailers are part of the age old marketing strategy, people either love them or hate them because of the possibility of spoilers. However, lets be honest, movies can do well box office wise if the trailer footage impresses audiences in some way and most often before watching a film you know nothing about people check the teaser or the full trailer just to see the quality level or in the case of the internet, hype level
  20. montazumas revenge Devoted Player

Any Kardashian