Test Discussion Solar Amplifier Bug

Discussion in 'Testing Feedback' started by Batuba, Sep 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Batuba Developer

Fixed issue where AoE explosion from Solar Amplifier was not splitting damage properly. This caused the Amplified Heat Vision explosion to deal much more AoE damage than intended.

This was accidentally left out of the patch notes and will be updated in it soon.

Thanks.

Batuba
    • Like x 4
  2. ALB Dedicated Player

People who leveled to 200 for that extra damage will be upset. Imho, bugs like this should be 1st inline. I agree with the fix, but the process is shady to say the least
    • Like x 6
  3. Siramez Well-Known Player

i agree with this, people wasting money to get it and then they never knew about the bug and is now getting a fix. shady indeed.
    • Like x 7
  4. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

Solar Amplifier's single target damage didn't change which is what Heat Vision is supposed to be as a power, it is still the highest base might artifact with a 5% modifier, it still has the empowered channeling mod for powersets that will depend on that such as Fire, Munitions or any heavy channeled abilities for any and all content outside of a tank. If they leveled it just because of broken splitting damage than that is completely on them and they were chasing a bug rather than leveling it for legitimate means

• Like x 4
  5. Siramez Well-Known Player

i somewhat disagree with that last sentence, "If they leveled it just because of broken splitting damage than that is completely on them and they were chasing a bug rather than leveling it for legitimate means" you cant accuse someone because they leveled it up to 200 just for the bug, you should know that there are also other people who leveled it up to 200 BUT doesnt know about the bug, since this bug is never being talked about anywhere than forums, take instance, from your videos, etc. Of course for the people who spent it just for the bug are stupid.
    • Like x 4
  6. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

I've brought it up in my videos before when I have HV on multiple loadouts, there have been threads that have brought up the damage not splitting on the forums. It's not like the players who leveled it to 200 are all of a sudden not going to use it because it didn't change for single target or the other reasons to level it stats/mod.
  7. Siramez Well-Known Player

if you did, my bad, but why did it take time for batuba to fix it now that could of been fixed before? dont you think thats a bit shady in the business?
    • Like x 1
  8. jolaksi Well-Known Player

You are partly right. There are multiple perspectives to look into that but like all previous nerfs/buffs like this, we never know what Devs' working schdule is. They might be focused on DLC stuff in the past or other stuff etc. It seems like they/him having some time to work on inconsistencies like nature, superspeed moves and now solar amplifier. All I can say at least we are started to get those fixes...
  9. gemii Dedicated Player

if the player did not read the description of the artifact and chose to level it up Because the damage was not splitting properly that’s there problem

This is a corrected error not a nerf
  10. Eddy New Player

So are you going to compensate the people who have it at 200? If not that's kinda shady to wait this long without saying its getting "fixed" after people dumped money into it
    • Like x 2
  11. Faelwolf Active Player

Anyone who has paid attention would know that this was a bug, and would be fixed. I have warned a number of people this fix was coming, and was told that I was full of it, and how it was intended, etc. So yeah, some people (I suspect a lot of people) did level Solar Amp for the bug, and when this fix goes live, brace yourself for the QQ. :)
    As munitions, heat vision isn't even on my bar, as I have a much better single target channel that does more damage in less time, and does so more reliably. So I won't miss the bugged damage burst at all. I run Solar Amp for the stats and empowered channeling mod, until something better comes along. I see a lot of people using it as a crutch when I run boss spam though.
    • Like x 1
  12. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

(Full disclosure, if its not as intended an needs fixed then thats good its getting fixed)
    “This is bait n switch”
    Its one of the most shady business practices and the nth metal it took to go from 160 to 200 (or a portion of it) should be refunded to any player who ranked it beyond 160.
    The issue may have been made know on forums and videos but lets be super clear.
    The forum plus who watched videos may make up just 3% of the actual player base. Some of us my have known and exoected the fix an thats fine BUT the vast majority did not know and with out the devs sending an ingame message that reached all players they could not have known an shouod not have been expected to know.

Ppl pay for arts, detectors to get metal and pay for metal itself to rank this stuff up. These customers pay your salary and PAID for a product you offered.
    To wait soooooo long and then go “oh yea, we know tons of ppl paid real $ for this AND were advised by league mates etc to do so and lots lots lots of guides that dont mention any bug suggest doing so We are going to go ahead an nerf this anyway”
    this is altering the product purchased an about as dirty as it gets as a business practice.

Im glad for the fix if there needs to be a fix, i understand.
    Issue is, if this were a “fix” than it would have happened long ago. This was known an plastered on the forums since before i returned to the game months ago. Devs couod have easily acknowledged it and fixed it immediately but instead they knowingly chose to bide their time an wait for ppl to spend and new players to invest and returning players like myself to invest.
    This is not a bug being fixed, this is a “bait n switch” nerf.

I have read up diligently about alot of artifacts to “choose wisely” as i cant afford to just rank em all up. It was a decision made by whats effective and whats fun for me and i watched an waited. Devs did nothing for months. No comments, no messages, no acknowledgement something was wrong.
    Players cryin it dont work is not enough. Devs have to say something.
    To the guy sayin “its in my videos, i said it was bugged” ok cool, who are you? The devs appointed you advisor or something? Players shouod not be expected to blindly believe what a random player says, the devs shouod be expected to be on top of these things. I appreciate everyone who tried bringing it to light BUT after months an months of silence from devs, theres no reason anyone should have believed You as the devs essentially called you liars an they are the ones designing this so they SHOULD know best.

I am guilty of defending it an saying its working as intended. After months an months of silence from devs, why wouod i have thought otherwise? I was wrong, apparently it was bugged. Why didnt the devs know? Why didnt they address it?

Thankfully i am not anchaser an part of my decision was i like HV an its fun for me in my loadout And a 200 SA fits so i dont have buyers remorse. And personally dont care about compensation. I care about for the other 97 ish % of players who didnt know an just got “bait n switched” after being sold a product that will no longer perform as what they paid for.

Just dirty

Edit: i am speculating 3% obviously. I dont know what % of the player base watches the soecific videos where ppl explain theres a bug or come to the forums. Its my speculation. You pick whatever % you’d like. The point is its a small small small % that could have actually been aware and beyond that, out of those aware, its prob not a large % that ranked it specifically to exploit a Bug.
    • Like x 4
  13. Shadobi Level 30

'

You don't work for the company and this artifact requires time and money plus this item has been here for more then 1 year and should have been fixed then. You don't wait till massive funds are spent then say oh my fault we going to weaken it and not be reimbursed or exchange for the same artifact level. The strange thing I found about your approach towards this is the idea you believe it's ok and people shouldn't vent frustration about this kind of practice. "Brace yourself for the QQ"
    • Like x 3
  14. Little MD Well-Known Player

wait, wait. So some of you are saying that people invested all that time and effort to leveling an solar amp to lvl 200 WITHOUT knowing that the burst damage at the end doesn't split properly? Seriously? People spent THAT much money and resources to this, without doing some research? That is really REALLY hard to believe.

Shady business practice from Daybreak? For sure. But the players that got Solar amp to lvl200 definitely knew what was going on, and chose to lvl it up anyways. that is on them.
    • Like x 3
  15. General20099 New Player

I honestly believe this is a little too harsh for the damage nerf. Going from 20k on adds down to 2k absolutely ruins this artifact for adds, yes it is still good for st but if this was a "bug" then it should have been fixed within a week, not several months later. I paid for this artifact and now many people are very upset over this. This nerf is too harsh.
    • Like x 2
  16. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

That's a rather large assumption to make when we don't know how many players just play leisurely/ aren't on forums/ in leagues/ watching videos. They may have 0 clue. Look at the recent posts about "what are these eyes that keep damaging me" after they chose to put an amulet in. Some people are indeed that type of player. They just want what's new and will spend all the money to rank it up. Solar has been out a long time, it is entirely possible that people got it up to 200 just because they had to dump nth metal into something.
    • Like x 1
  17. Templeton Active Player

I'm sorry but this is yet another perfect example of how developers appear to specifically avoid any news or discussions of the players about their own game. It's been talked about, and known that this artifact, ever since it was brought to the game, like 2-3 YEARS ago has something unusual about it at 200 compared to 160. People asked about it, no developer reply, so people assumed since many artifacts have a huge impact from 160 to 200 that the improper damage split was a FEATURE not a bug. People literaly spent money for that feature knowing from others. I do not own a 200 Solar Amp and I'm glad, good prank right there allowing people to max this thing out just to ''fix'' it. I now wonder how many artifacts don't work as intended and are getting an obvious nerf at 200 but you call it fixing.
    • Like x 3
  18. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

I would imagine it's not an easy process to adjust an artifact after its release. There was only the one precedent before that in Venom Wrist Dispenser but unlike VWD where its over performing was based more on the direction the developers wanted rather than facts they took the extra steps when changing that artifact. Solar Amplifier's bug is based on actual indisputable facts. It was never intended for the rank 200 breakthrough only for the explosion to become the greatest AOE power in the game considering the explosion is at rank 120 and doesn't change, the only change at 200 is the empowered channeling mod and the only change at 160 was the aoe burning.
    • Like x 1
  19. Siramez Well-Known Player

i
    it does make sense tbh. thanks for your clarification
  20. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

Nature has been bugged since stats revamp with Roar and overlapping posions and bug form SC spam has been a "bug/cheese" ever since they changed all the other healer SC's to 10000 to combat the very issue of SC spam. It took just as long to fix Nature when it was common place in the community that Nature was well out performing what it should be due to numerous factors.

I and You have no idea how long it takes to get approval to make major changes to the game like powersets and artifacts that impact a players gaming experience in DCUO, then the changes would have to be approved to be sent out to the Xbox and Nintendo platforms as well. Just because it took awhile to fix a bug is pointless in the discussion because in the end it was always a bug and it has been fixed.

Full Disclosure: If a DPS actually knew how the game worked instead of just pressing buttons on their controller they would already know about the concept of damage splitting in DCUO with powers and would have already been familiar with powersets that have had adjustments made to them specifically due to damage splitting like Electric and Rage. If you a) choose to turn a blinds eye to the fact that its clear as day that the explosion proc followed zero dmg splitting and all of a sudden when you have rank 200 you can use HV on melee, ranged and single target loaodouts then that player needs to better educate themselves on the basic fundamentals of the game or b) they knew it was clearly OP and were just waiting and using it until they couldn't anymore and have no reason to complain about the usage they got out of it.

To say anyone was cheated or deserves compensation is just silly. Heat Vision has been a single target ability for 10+ years in game. Along comes an artifact that at a mere Rank 120 gives an extra aoe explosion. What hasn't changed is the single target ability of this single target artifact, what hasn't changed is that there is not a single artifact that has more might than Solar Amplifier along with its 5% stat modifier, and what hasn't changed is the usefulness of its tactical mod install.
    • Like x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.