So why are 'races' that are not 'races'....still 'races'?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Reinheld, Oct 12, 2022.

1. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

So running the Halloween race last night on a dozen+ toons and I drew bad and got the full 30 second timer on almost every one. I get that at one point when a race had a 'winner', or at least some sort of scorecard, you needed the timer so multiple people could join and ready up. However, as now the 'race' is really just a time trial, like the solo movement races, why the timer? Assuming you are running all 16 toons (or more) on an account through, that's 8 extra minutes of standing around every day. Why not just cut it to the 5 sec countdown?

I'm guessing it's a technical issue with the group 'race' format being different from the solo 'race' format, but couldn't that be changed for these seasonal races?

BTW...I'm not asking for a return of the scorecard. I don't really care who wins or loses the race. I care about the time I stand around waiting for it to start....which really serves no purpose at this point.
    • Like x 4
  2. Catastrophic Repercussion Dedicated Player

It's probably just that's how the original multiplayer races have that timer and devs didn't think to change it when newer ones are made.
    I would be fine with a 10-sec countdown all across the board.
    • Like x 1
  3. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

As would I (5 would be super nice....but I'd take 10). Guess I can't believe that the devs just never noticed the delay was now pointless.

And just in case they didn't know it had a 30 second timer.....I asked the question. As I did last year. No dev answered then, let's see about now.

I'd have revived that old post, but it was pretty much off topic by the time it wound down.
  4. Red Wáve Well-Known Player

Being too new to know which came first and when, I'd assume the timer part on the Races is part of the "legacy code" that they better not mess with.

If it's a relatively simple thing to do, I'd be all for it. But the Seasonal Races and the Atlantis Race that I spam every once in a while, when a Leaguemate really wants a Seahorse.
  5. Rejchadar Inquisitor

One of the developers of this race was Charon...I don't remember who was the other (I remember that two people worked on the race...)...Charon left...if the other developer didn't leave, then there is a chance for an answer...
    • Like x 1
  6. The Con Dedicated Player

Not that I'm opposed to races (which aren't really races as to just being obstacle courses), but...

This Halloween one is just a poorly designed race.

The hoops are too far apart... with some being out of place of natural line of sight...

The island has too many small interferences (trees/scaffolding, etc) that just stops you unnecessarily.

Not sure if just because of the island design, but the camera has a tendency swivel uncontrollably.