So Charon left DI too...

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Eve, Jun 4, 2022.

1. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

Technically there's politics when you start analyzing almost anything. Even something as simple as who's the hero and who's the villain is technically political. Superman is essentially an immigrant kid adopted by American/Earth (immigrant both to America and to just Earth as a whole) parents but he's the most American of anyone (I love that image of him just straight up telling kids bigotry of any kind is unAmerican and should be called out, I want that as a poster) and is just generally uber-good and grows up on a little farm in Kansas while his arch nemesis is a bitter billionaire that's always targeting him for this and also is jealous of all the love and attention he gets. That's quite political and topical when you break it down, especially given his creators were immigrants themselves. Forget discussing politics, we could discuss WHAT politics are...... ok I may be starting to sound like one of those ramblings of some stereotypical surfer bro or hippie or hippie surfer bro. *Suddenly remembers an old Teen Titans storyline where the team adopted hippie personas to reach out to a troubled teen all undercover and had punny names playing on their superhero identities that the main hippie dude immediately pointed out and Wally was literally just "Feet"*
    • Like x 2
  2. Imaginos Dedicated Player

Not only that, but who's going to pass on some of the great ideas and suggestions for things (like the base item thread that Charon was watching) to the devs now?
    • Like x 3
  3. Jcal Dedicated Player

So.. ummm... guess where Charon ended up? :/

Nothing changes of course. I wish him and everyone else over there, or anywhere for that matter, nothing but the very best. But... yeah, this is truly one hell of a story; a story we'll never fully understand. Just crazy!
    • Like x 2
  4. Proxystar #Perception

hell of a story, indeed.
    • Like x 1
  5. Eve YouTuber

So Summer Seasonal just get released like that, no promotional post, no nothing. I really think they need to do some damage control because this is really awful they they let things just go wild like that. I am really concerned that this is the end of the road for DCUO, not just because people leave but because of how they handle (or not handling) the situation. :(
    • Like x 3
  6. Eve YouTuber

No surprise here but happy for him whatever he chooses to do.
  7. DuffleBagBoii Well-Known Player

gotta feeling mepps might be plotting his leave as well.
  8. BumblingB I got better.

Wait, did he end up with the dev stealing studio?
    • Like x 3
  9. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

So summer is out while spring is still up? At least no one can say there isn’t anything to do lol
    • Like x 2
  10. the solowing Steadfast Player

Depending on whos perspective your looking at?

Dev stealing or better opportunity came along?
    • Like x 3
  11. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

There isn't much they can do if they are short staffed and lost most of their best developers. I don't think it's in EG7's best plans to allow DCUO to be shutdown after they spent so many millions on the game, so they might be doing damage control right now.
    • Like x 1
  12. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

According to their linkedin some devs there are working on a Unreal Engine 5 project, so I believe for many of them it was a huge opportunity to get into the top game development market.

But... I'll support the claim that it was dev stealing :p You can't be CEO of a game studio for years then make a plan to take the best people out of it because one of your projects got cancelled.
    • Like x 4
  13. Eve YouTuber

I really hope that he's not.

I hope so. Having things being quiet for so long, makes me really worried.
    • Like x 2
  14. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

Yeah, I've never been so worried since monthly content but Panderus gave us a dev update just a few days ago and they have many people from the marvel game working on the game. I won't keep speculating though, I need my mental sanity lol.

I just hope Mepps comes here and gives us clarification
    • Like x 3
  15. the solowing Steadfast Player

Only so much you can do with a heavily modded engine that is outdated by 2 iterations of that engine lol
    • Like x 1
  16. Forum Junkie Well-Known Player

I am starting to think I should have vetted some of my frustrations before posting them. So many people just get on the forums to complain. I get mad about some things I find unethical but at the same time, there is no other game I would rather support. So many comments about the performance of the devs, complaints about the earning strategies (ie capsules), the games functionality on the PS5, the new Ally... I am just thankful I have had this game to play over the last decade. There is no other game like it, in my opinion the best of its kind, and I would be remiss if I did not express that I love this game.

All that being said, I hope all is well with anyone who has ever had an impact on DCUO, top down, left to right, all across the board. I want to give my thanks!
    • Like x 5
  17. Physique Dedicated Player

I think people are way too deep in the weeds about this, actually. I mean, that when you strictly look at favorite developers and artists leaving in the vacuum of this being the only thing in their lives, it looks bad. Really bad.

Especially without any shred of context. But life doesn't work like that and there is always a context to everything, even these departures.

Something that went without any reporting or fanfare is that Studio Head Jack Emmert, aka Jackster in the forums, left the company back in March after the EG7 earnings report to form his own new studio, Jackelope Games. This coincided with early reports of the Marvel MMO in development being cancelled by the studio (again without any real deep context from either DI or Marvel). His departure sets the stage for a lot of other things to happen.

The average career stay for a developer on a given project is anywhere from 1½ - 5 years given the type of game project it is. Most people either a) get bored and need new challenges or b) cap out on their max salary and bolt for a bigger payday or promotion. People in creative professions are far more prone to that sort of career change and progression so unless there was bigger upheaval within the organization or a massive layoff (neither of which appears likely), for a lot of the team members who've left, it may just have been time to move on.

Another thing I believe some here are blind to is that for the developers, this is a job -- this is not necessarily their passion. Generally speaking, when someone leaves their job it isn't always on bad terms but because an opportunity for something new and potentially better for their career has come up. It's not always about money (although in today's age it is more likely).

The reason why we aren't hearing more than what was stated in the Developer Update, I sense, is because the studio is still settling. As of yet, a new Studio Head has not been named (they may still be looking for Jackster's replacement) and there really isn't much that can be said by them about that search or any other behind the scenes stuff they may have going on.

The EG7 earnings report put DCUO in a very favorable light so I'm inclined to think that the roadmap Jack Emmert laid out a few years ago (with the 10 more years projection) is still moving in its upward trajectory. That means that all of the necessary pieces (the additional hires, the hardware upgrades, the extended licensing agreements, and arrangement with stakeholders) are still in place. I sense that until a new Studio Head is in place, there won't be any significant change or words about the game to be said.

And, yes, that's frustrating as someone who plays and is deeply invested into this game. A lot of us are and many have built some degree of fondness or relationship with people on the development team through the forums or even on social media. So the apparently sudden departures of so many without any real deep understanding of why is unsettling. Because things were made clearer in the Development Update, I'm not too stressed. Maybe a little sad to see people leave but since there's a roadmap for the next few months in place and EG7 hasn't said anything significant or negative about what's going on, I can rest easy and wait the next steps to be laid bare.
    • Like x 5
  18. LegionnaireV Active Player

I couldn't agree more.
    • Like x 1
  19. UT Firefly Well-Known Player

took me alot longer as it should to see that even he is out now perfect...really just perfect he was an guy who cared players and was listing to there problems im damn sure the suvival mode freeze stuff we became was a major part of him...my hope was a gear update to mr freeze may even a new style but without him i think NO ONE cares now about that...

anyway i hope he find a better place it cant be more worse as work for an company who things recycling always the same few chars is a good buisness idea
  20. DarkThorn Dedicated Player

To me, what is very disconcerting is that we are going on months without a CEO at DI! So no definitive leadership at the helm... this isn't good! I'm sure they are having problems finding anyone who wants to come to a very old game with extremely outdated engine and try to turn it around; EG7 has tasked DI with not only finding ways to retain players, but also bring new players in. How do you do that with such an old game with such old architecture? Also, how do you bring in devs who want to 'downgrade' their skills to work with an old game? Honestly, I think the only ones who would really be interested are young people wanting to LEARN how to be a dev, it would be a good starting opportunity... but for experienced devs, DCUO probably is not on their 'wish list' of places to work. :(