Snyderverse-an unpopular opinion

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Quantum Edge, Jan 12, 2022.

1. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

As a result of this thread I've tried re watching ZSJL twice now over the past few days.

Just couldn't get through it. I maintain my stance that I'm willing to toss it all away in favor of something better.
  2. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

A four hour commitment to any movie is a tough one. I can't think of very many directors who could make a four hour movie enjoyable. There is a four hour cut of Das Boot, but even that required a half hour break. Apocalypse Now! Redux is over three hours, and I did enjoy that. There's a three and a half hour version of Wim Wender's Until the end of the world that I liked. I am running out of movies though.

I did enjoy the Batman, at just under three hours, but I still think that could have used another pass by an editor.
  3. Controller Devoted Player

But yet folks have no issues sitting for 3 1/2 hours through Avengers Endgame lol.............

And don't give me that nonsense "Oh well Endgame was the conclusion to the Avengers saga"........

3 1/2 hours is 3 1/2 hours.
    • Like x 1
  4. Critical Massacre Committed Player

I have to admit Ezra plus Heard ain’t doing any favors for the project. DC is in a bind though. They are hitting a generational mark where man of steel has been out for ten years and many kids and teens only know him as their Superman. Meaning if they start over with another one then he’s going to get the same backlash Cavil got for not being Reeves. If they want a justice League movie or a shared universe I think they need to stick with what they have. What’s likely to happen is they will do solos that are only partially successful for years then the nostalgia and desire for the snyderverse will come back from the generation that grew up watching them and well end up getting the sequels ten years from now with much fan fair.
  5. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

My opinion of the quality (not the success) of the Marvel Movies is even more unpopular than my opinion of the Snyderverse movies.
  6. Controller Devoted Player

7. SuperBell Loyal Player

I can see your point. I feel the same way about Michael Bay. I love the DCEU. Unfortunately, I don't think WB knew what to do with it, and tried too hard to be the MCU at the beginning. If I remember correctly, Justice League was supposed to be a two part movie. Tragically, Snyder's daughter died, and Whedon was hire to MCU-ify JL. WB did the same with Suicide Squad, trying to make it more like GotG.

That's my fear with the supposed Flashpoint movie coming out. They are trying too hard to retcon things that didn't work while keeping things that did, and I think it might be a disaster. Time travel and multiple dimensions are fun in comics, but on the big screen, it's just too much to suspend my disbelief. Felt that way with Endgame, felt that way with No Way Home.

This is especially bad timing if not for one, Covid just killed the movie theater industry, but two, we are on two decades of comic book movies being blockbusters. No trend last forever. Like Axel Rose said, "Where do we go, where do we go, where do we go now? Aigh Aigh!"
  8. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

That's a big fear of the studios, if one of these 300 million dollar movies crashes and burns, it's going to wipe out a major studio. There aren't many companies that could weather a loss like that. Disney had to reevaluate it's yearly earnings when John Carter failed, and that hit the stock hard. A lot of people lost money.

Westerns used to be HUGE, through the fifties and sixties, making a western movie or TV show was a license to print money. Then all of a sudden, it stopped. Comic book movies will have that day of reckoning, and nobody knows when it will happen.

I'm worried about Ezra Miller and the Flash movie. The drip drip drip of controversy surrounding this guy is making me wonder how they're going to market this film. How do you do the talk show circuit when your star is more newsworthy than the movie? Or worse, how you do it with your star in jail?
  9. willflynne 10000 Post Club

One suggestion I saw in a YouTube video looking at DC's attempts was the thought that DC might have been better served in building a shared universe by starting with a Justice League movie and THEN starting to spin off other films using characters that tested well or got great responses from filmgoers/fans.

Kind of the opposite of what Disney did, but it would have allowed them more flexibility in adjusting or course-correcting things that weren't working. Locking themselves in like they did with their first attempt certainly didn't do them any favors.
  10. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

It needs to feel organic. The Batman v Superman movie, shoehorning into the Justice League felt forced. The first movie being an obvious set up for the second. Having a Superman movie, with veiled references to Wayne Enterprises, or a passing mention of Batman, then a Batman movie with overt references to Superman. Or as you suggested, a team ready to go. But it has to feel real. Richard Donner used the word verisimilitude when he made the first Superman film in 78, it has to feel real. What Marvel did well, was mesh things into each other slowly at first, by the time we get to the 5th or 6th movie, we just accept that all of this is in the same Universe. DC approached it with "thump" here's the universe, now enjoy.
    • Like x 1
  11. Ergotth Committed Player

It was worth sitting through 3 1/2 hours of an epic conclusion to a carefuly planned saga with characters we held dear for 10 years of development, struggles, laughing and crying that resulted in the most satisfying conclusion of a post-credit tease 10 years ago that set all the fans on immediate hype mode, compared to 4 hours of a poorly-written mess by a pretentious hack who tries way too hard to create his own bastardized version of "Watchmen" with boring dialogues, poorly-developed heroes that are the epithome of "kindergarden writting" when compared to deeper characters in cinema history. Heck, half of Marvel characters had a deeper writting in their movies compared to Batman and Superman! And those two are a treasure trove of social comentary and deep analogies, yet somehow Snyder fumbled it big time!
  12. Controller Devoted Player

Go blame that on the "Prior (Thank God)" leadership of WB Media....not Zach Snyder.

I won't bother to rehash my personal thoughts as to the "Hows and Whys" of WB / DC Media's current state of affairs and how we got here but go back and read my personal thoughts on things in THIS thread - as well as my same thoughts in the other Snyderverse thread from last year.

How about you go ask WB Media why they canceled the Green Lantern MOVIE....as well as Cyborgs.

Ask them why did they supposedly constrain Zach Snyder to only THREE MOVIES to bring The Big Three (as well as OTHER DC heroes and villains) to the big screen.

Ask them about the Hot Mess Train Wreck Dumpster fire called Josstice League.

Ask them why the Woke Mob seemingly took over on some of their Television series - when there was a PLETHORA of ORIGINAL characters of color and diverse origins they could've presented - not only on TELEVISION but on the Big Screen as well.

Here's a personal suggestion:

[IMG]

My man Icon (and his partner and friend Rocket) from Milestone (DC) media. Please God no "Woke" Superman movie. Give MoS 2 to HENRY CAVILL please.

Thankfully - David Zaslav has already CANCELLED some of this woke mess.

Ask WB DC Media about their apparent reluctance to ACTUALLY TRY TO COMPETE with Marvel's lineup - that is incompetency and laziness at its best right there....sitting there trying to hang their hats on mostly "SOLO" movies.

You want "Solo" movies, WB DC Media?

[IMG]

There you are, lol. Heck Solo wasn't even that bad as a movie.

Again, Ergoth - I've already stated much of this in this thread and the other Snyderverse thread from last year.
  13. Controller Devoted Player

See y'all done got me started again, lool....

Why would WB DC Media even hire a RIVAL Company in Disney Marvel Media to make Joss Whedon's Justice League movie?

[IMG]

I mean...the dude DOES have chops...I thought Age of Ultron was epic.....he's done well in other Sci-Fi movies outside of Marvel Movies..such as Serenity from 2005 and Titan AE

[IMG]

[IMG]

But still WHY WOULD YOU EVEN HIRE A "RIVAL" to do YOUR stuff lol?

[IMG]
  14. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

Joss whedon won't be working in Hollywood again for a loooong time, if ever.
  15. willflynne 10000 Post Club

By that logic they should have never pursued hiring James Gunn for Suicide Squad and Peacemaker.
  16. Controller Devoted Player

Just the fact that - not ONLY with Josstice League bombing - but ALSO with the allegations of onset angst with Joss and Ray Fisher and Gal Gadot is all I need to know as far as WB's choices, lol.

James Gunn - GotG = Fun and Games.

James Gunn - Suicide Squad = More Fun and games.

Genre meets Genre and falls in love.
  17. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Setting aside what we didn't know at the time, Whedon was well known for his ability to make great ensemble content. The long-running success of Buffy, Firefly, the Avengers films and his involvement with Agents of SHIELD (even if it was more in a producing role) all made for an impressive resume. WB/DC would have been nuts not to pursue him in helping with an ensemble film if he was available. It was never going to be a guarantee for success, but given his track record to that point it's hardly surprising that WB/DC tapped him.

It's not like the old studio system where actors/directors/etc. were locked in to working ONLY for one movie studio for extended contracts. And like sports teams, studios are going to go with someone who looks to have the hot hand. If an actor or director is deemed to be the ideal fit for a project a movie studio and they're available, that's who the studio is going to pursue.

And if we're REALLY going to get into questionable decisions made by WB or DC, giving in to an extended and protracted fan temper tantrum ranks pretty high up there for me. ;)
  18. Critical Massacre Committed Player

Endgame was hot garbage. By far the worst marvel movie of the franchise. The last 30 minutes were epic, but everything that preceded Thanos showing up on earth was nonsensical. Just so many plot holes and poor writing. It was very lazy and a horrible way to end such a built up franchise.
  19. Controller Devoted Player

Plain speak here, please.
  20. Critical Massacre Committed Player

Whedon totally delivered in what he’s known for in the Jostice League. He’s literally gave everything the snyder haters wanted to the letter. Bright colors, comedy, and lighted hearted ness. It just goes to show his movies were overrated. People loved the marvel characters because they had time to develop. Pretty much as long as Whedon just put them altogether to fight a bad guy fans were going to like it.

As far as questionable motives to release the Snyder cut. I’d say that’s one of the best decisions they’ve made. Snydercut, I think, is still the most watched movie on hbo max plus they made a killing in blue ray sales. So they made a ton of money with almost no investment. And it totally demonstrated that the Snyder fans were right the whole time. The Ayer cut would also be a no brainer with almost no financial investment but you get the benefits of a nearly new movie.
    • Like x 1