Skill Points: a real issue.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Pale Rage, Nov 28, 2021.

1. Plowed In Loyal Player

Overwhelmed by what exactly? Is it possible that they were being “pushed” into playing the game in a certain way…which ended up being more a job than pleasure?

Lots of people play it casually, there is not this need or requirement to have ALL the SP that is available in the game.

Fun fact…it used to matter BECAUSE people would turn around and use the SP to gain advantages in PVP. Having more SP meant the world back in the day when you encountered pre-made groups in PVP. That game was already possibly gone by the time the game released on Xbox. If the Xbox community is really as toxic as you’re making it out to be, then it’s only a matter of time until that snake eats his tail.
    • Like x 1
  2. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

Plowed In,

You know there is a kind of discrimination against those with low SP. It is viewed as an assessment of the player's worth or capability. Given the daunting challenge of completing so many feats to earn just 1 SP point, it becomes an overwhelming task to new players, who perhaps begin to judge their own self-worth if you will in this game as being lacking with no chance of quickly turning things around, so they give up. Much like I have given up on furthering my "progression". I can sympathize with their defeated feeling.
    • Like x 3
  3. Plowed In Loyal Player

“Everyone starts with zero.”

If you want to get them all, go get them all.
    If you want some, just get some.
    If you want to just get by with what comes normally, do that.

What would you do if you did have all the SP? What would make you log in everyday?

Maybe it’s worth an internal look at what you do enjoy about the game and focus on that part.

In-grouping and out-grouping is a human problem, you’re not going to change human nature…if you take away the “cool kids lunch table,” they’re not magically going to invite you to come hang out. Find your own happiness.

“As if...” ;) :p
    • Like x 1
  4. Sollace Well-Known Player

Except you see, this is everything Daybreak don't think about in their game modifications, the stat clamp does more harm than good. It adds problems of proper functioning in certain instances and on top of that, it clearly shows that they're not thinking things through, they've added augmentations adaptive/augmentations DLC and artefact and only to add the clamp afterwards lol.

Before they added all the claw artefact and augmentation junk, there were only 1 or 2 things to do, review the mods/plans crafting and make a fixed CR so that the SP is the real stat progression continuity, instead they added 3 times more boring work for the players...
    • Like x 1
  5. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

According to who you? You can make all the baseless claims you want. Doesn’t change that it’s just an opinion. Heck you even proved that much by your own words. “Adds problems to certain instances”. Certain… instances. Just because some instances are outliners doesn’t mean the clamp is a problem. Certain instances have always been mechanic heavy. Ignoring mechanics leading to wipes has always been a “problem”. Is someone wants to shoot themselves in the foot in vmf than that is on them. If issues in vmf are happening due to the clamp than vmf should receive a targeted adjustment. But instead you want to adjust the clamp because of specific instances? Get real lol.
    • Like x 1
  6. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

For my DPS, my health, dominance, and resto would be a LOT higher. My battle roles: health, dominance, and resto would be a lot higher.
    My non-dps roles would have a lot more might/power.

I would log in every day, with a smile, knowing that I am about to help 3 other people complete the daily alert (on 4 different characters), and that my contribution to the success would be exponentially helpful.

...wait a sec, I already do that.
    • Like x 2
  7. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

Yep, that discrimination exists. I will admit that I used to believe that SP was directly related to someone's ability to perform their role/duty and maintain good teamwork (because many of the older SP required teamwork, Odyssey feat anyone lol), whilst doing their best to maintain their own survivability (watchful for attacks, mechanics, use a cola if needed) on account of the healer needing to maintain the tank as it's primary focal point.

Now we have warnings for all the big hits and mechanics, and there's still people who can't follow instruction. But I have seen some low sp people do their job very well. Just today I was being healed by someone with less than 300sp, and only 120 was the highest artifact level. I was DPS and had all the aggro in the alert. I'm not easily impressed: but I did lift an eyebrow in amazement. There's been other circumstances prior that has changed my mind from my original thought about SP.
    • Like x 3
  8. GhostRyder3000 Dedicated Player

Agreed.
    • Like x 2
  9. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

Pale,

I'm just curious, but the instance you describe above with the person who had 300sp and only 120 was the highest artifact, was that an EEG instance? I have seen lower level players significantly buffed in EEG instances to where they are either on par with my main or surpass her. But I totally crush them in End Game content if they are able to enter the instance.

Just curious.

Thank you
    • Like x 2
  10. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

Pale,

I'm just curious, but the instance you describe above with the person who had 300sp and only 120 was the highest artifact, was that an EEG instance? I have seen lower level players significantly buffed in EEG instances to where they are either on par with my main or surpass her. But I totally crush them in End Game content if they are able to enter the instance.

Just curious.

Thank you
    • Like x 1
  11. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

It's rather hard for me to look at what I do enjoy about the game and focus on that part since the most meaningful part has been made mute. When I do play all I keep thinking about is what I've lost, how getting better & stronger doesn't matter anymore. All I can focus on is what I've lost. What I've lost is that my progression mattered. I can't get past that.

Just hanging out in the HoL talking to my friends is fun. I believe I have now arrived at the point I no longer enjoy playing DCUO.
    • Like x 1
  12. the solowing Unwavering Player

But feats ad following mechanics are 2 completely separate, unreleated things,

Where does "this person collected a lot of styles/mob kills" connects to "this person can follow mechanics"?

Thats like saying, hey this guy is good at writing cursive, he must be a good race car driver!
    • Like x 1
  13. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

It was the Cursed House of Mystery. Generally, I only run the current newest DLC.
    You're welcome.

All the various revamps and clamps have left a bad taste with me. I used to run a lot of old content, but now I stick with only current. Hours I used to play turned into less than 2 (I can run all current regular content in about 20-25 min per character, x4). So I think I know how you feel.

There's things that could be done, to improve, but I don't think the white collars are thinking 'improve the game = improve cash flow.'
    • Like x 2
  14. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

I'm sorry, but wrong: feats and following mechanics go "hand in hand!"

Let's look at swamp thing, in CHM: you have a feat for avoiding the swamp gas. Guess what though, everyone has to do it. That's following instruction, teamwork, and game mechanics: for a little feat (not even a whole skill point). There are TONS of feats that require this type of game play. This is a BIG reason that I "used' to run older content (before the clamp), I knew the mechanics, was able to speed things up (devastating DPS), and helped a lot of people complete older content, with the bonus of getting feats.

Essentially, mechanics, obtaining feats, and the clamp, are actually all completely related.

My "silent" protest of the clamp is never running old content. Without the clamp, I would still be helping a lot of players get feats and finish old content. Which in turn means that newer players would:
    1. Be learning mechanics.
    2. Be getting more SP which means stronger.
    3. Be more inclined to stick around, seeing their progression really matter.
    • Like x 2
  15. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

This is exactly why “Feats” needs to be divorced from SP. Feats should be a separate, personal accomplishment, not something that is required to level your SP up as you would your arts / Augs or Allies if you use Allies.

This whole SP system is screwy.
    • Like x 2
  16. the solowing Unwavering Player

Raid feats are related, but I mean non "instance" feats. A lot of them are kill counts and collections. That not an indicator of skill.

Also you're confusing "help" with "carry" Because you're not going to HELP, them if you cant CARRY them as protest?
    • Like x 1
  17. the solowing Unwavering Player

Yea, its a personal achievement system that affects other players in content so players judge you for what you engage with in said personal achievement system.
    • Like x 3
  18. Melusine Midnight Rainbow Phoenix

The number of people in this thread who don't actually play the game is... something.
    • Like x 1
  19. Ryan_Ragenolds Active Player

Following with your CHM example, we all know that during the non clamp days, end game players would have 1-2 shot Swamp Thing before the mechanics even kick in.
    Sure, the lower players got their feat, but without even knowing what was going on. And the only thing the learn was "gear up and come back later".

I hate the clamp and i avoid old content with a passion, but lets not pretend that it was all rainbows and sunshines.
    • Like x 3
  20. Plowed In Loyal Player

So someone with less than 300 sp, and a highest artifact of 120…performed to an exceptional level in endgame content? This is what everyone should be championing…rather than the previous system where your stats just bypassed any shred of difficulty.

Doesn’t this put it into perspective how overblown this argument is that you “need” to have max SP and max Arts? You just need to run an instance enough to understand mechanics and the flow of combat…all things that can start to be acquired while you level up these other systems…

It was possibly someone’s alt…my lowbie Fire tank with 120 dps arts got chased out of CTR by some loudmouth stating I was unfit for the role…I left and joined a new group, which beat it with no wipes…sometimes you just gotta acknowledge that the human race contains idiots…and move on with your day
    • Like x 2
  21. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

While I can agree, I ran things differently. For example, in the Carol Ferris and Wonder Woman fight in an old raid (can't recall the name), when I ran a group through, instance chat was required, and the burn was intentionally slow, to 'teach' newer people how to pay attention.

I have no doubt a lot of people ran things much quicker. But that was not the case with my groups. We strived for teaching. What good would it do to get someone maxed up in sp and cr, if they were going to be useless: that was the thought.
    • Like x 1