Serious question for development

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Fatal Star, Apr 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

How come when something isn't deemed as "profitable" you guys either ignore it or choose to just leave it in the game as is? Don't mean any disrespect with this question just wondering why you guys don't try to expand on that certain thing and make it more appealing?

Some examples, lockboxes, the vault, lair themes, movement variants, all have potential but since they didn't/don't yeild the desired profit, you gave up on them altogether.

This mentality has left quite a few things in the game either half completed, or just all over the place, I.E, the loot system changes 4 times throughout the tiers, surely this causes confusion with new players due to the lack of consistency because you guys were trying to find ways to make the loot system more rewarding​ for both players and yourselves.

Overall im just curious of the mentality to leave a lot of things in the game half finished when they don't obtain the proper level of appeal. Is it ideas you want on how to improve them? Because players have offered many suggestions in the past...
    • Like x 27
  2. Korvyne Committed Player

Id like to see this answered and not deleted too.

I'm sure we all wonder this same question in different ways maybe. For me the forebearing thought is "why can't they trust in themselves to make a larger scale, more regular dlcs, fully stocked market place, advertised through every medium possible and know theyll make a huge profit that way? Make a game people with flock to for its reputation alone that the players feel welcomed by the Dev team. They have the DC brand that is in itself a huge draw for any game and with any luck a combat system that remains top of its class.
    • Like x 5
  3. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

+1

We need to have answers instead of getting stuff swept underneath the carpet.
    • Like x 5
  4. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

We are always prioritizing what to do with our time and resources. We want to spend our time on things that benefit the game the most - that means broadly making the most people have the most fun for the longest amount of time, but ultimately at the end of the day is reflected in dollars those players contribute to the game. We exist or no longer exist based on that bottom line.

As far as what we spend our time on, it's a judgement call with a score of different considerations, including your feedback on what you think is most important, so please continue to voice those suggestions.
    • Like x 1
  5. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

Benefit the game the most and it's reflected in dollars? Interesting.

Here's my question in response to that: There have been multiple requests that yall could ultitize to earn lots of dollars, yet they've never been implemented why is this the case?

You have players wanting Lockboxes to be updated.

You have players wanting More Lair themes, and even more customization, that hasn't been implemented either.

And Finally; Cosmetics in the marketplace. There's hundreds of request within the styles thread, yet the major ones always go towards a time capsule; we have yet to see any new style hit the marketplace outside of the Flash Cowl.

Theres plenty of suggestions that could easily make yall a lot of money from the playerbase and make the playerbase happy at the sametime, but they aren't implemented.
    • Like x 11
  6. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Generally speaking, all of those things have a significant cost to develop, impact a small number of people, and eventually return a small amount of money. These factors make them difficult to prioritize over other initiatives that might be less time intensive to create, impact more people, and/or generate more money.
    • Like x 1
  7. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

Is the developmental time not worth the profit with the majority of things in this particular scenario? Say for example, the cost to make a new lair theme, is it really that expensive that if it doesn't sell well on the marketplace it's not worth the effort to expand on and make more? Guess I'm more so curious to the cost of production to actual profit ratio. I had the impression that if it's on the marketplace it yeilds a profit regardless, but if the cost of making it is very high I can understand why it would take a spot on the back burner for other more profitable features.

Edit: just read your response above which semi answered my question
    • Like x 1
  8. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Simply untrue. I do appreciate the SOE love, though. Not how I remember it, but hey, I'll take it. :)
    • Like x 5
  9. Derio 15000 Post Club

Sometimes I wonder how things may have been if materials were on the marketplace for 10$ and up and how much more of a response they would get
    • Like x 5
  10. hotsizz1e03 Committed Player

How generate DOLLARS in DCUO:

1)PVP: Open world Bounties(Resets) Gives you PVP currency that you use for SPECIAL PVP vendor that you can spend on towards ingame Marketplace.

2)VAULT: VAULT Drops Stabliizers/Fragments.. VAULT Drops more CASH(up to 10-50k) Watch the money pile in.. Drops up to 1, 5 ,10 MARKS based on MEMBERSHIP.. Free Member up to 1.. Premium up to 5 marks Legendary up to 10.

3)SODER COLA UNLIMITED- SIMILAR TO TEST SERVER.. self explanatory. 1 cola for life..

4)Iconic Trinkets - ICONIC trinkets give an ICONIC buff for 20secs.. Buff Varies based on ICONIC.. Marketplace ONLY

5)ALL TC REWARDS on MARKETPLACE at higher cost or allow us to GAMBLE With TC's

6)Premium SKINS/HAIR: like MARTIANS, GORILLA, LIONS, ALIEN, dreads, long beards, anime style HAIR.. etc MARKETPLACE ONLY

7)ICONIC OUTFIT/SET.. self explanatory.. MARKETPLACE ONLY

8)SELL CURRENCY BOOSTER( increases the amount of currency that DROPS for an EVENT or REG MISSION) 25%,-50% two increased percentages, similar to XP Booster..

9)PVP IN GAME tournament weekends.. 5 dollar entry. twice a day FRI-SUN at set TIMES.. Different GRAND PRIZES

Thats 9 off the top of my head instantly..

Please just please,Listen to the community.. We are basically throwing money at you with these ideas.. But you guys change things that arent necessary. PLEASE PLEASE... Prioritize glitches, bugs, revamps, over content/events. NO POINT playing a game thats broken bcuz there is new content out.. Game is still broken.. I cant enjoy LIVE as an ELECTRIC PLAYER.. I Bet there will be no compensation for my 3 year contribution of legendary membership for a broken service/power..

LAST NOTE. PLEASE Fix the INFAMOUS "SPAGHETTI CODE" that messes up every GU and ruins the common DAY To DAY DCUO EXPERIENCE.. its been like this since 2011..
    • Like x 4
  11. MaverickRaven657 Well-Known Player

Do the promethium lock boxes really take that much to update? Just in terms of manpower... I can't imagine that taking more than a day. I'm a completionist. I'm also a whale that's spent several thousand dollars with this game. I'd easily pay $20 just to finally get the last piece of avatar bombadier. I don't wanna see it anymore....

And honestly, I can't imagine how difficult it would be to finish this if the boxes remain the way they are. I'm not trying to barrage you, as I'm sure you might be feeling overwhelmed as is with the event and all that. I'm just genuinely curious, as I have seen this been a request for a LONG time...
    • Like x 3
  12. Trexlight Devoted Player

This is an old video but I feel it pertains to the subject at hand and could open a few eyes to their side of development

• Like x 4
  13. Kuno Loyal Player

You should be sincere and say that the team focus on what gives you the biggest income: real bad drop rate for both content and TCs so you sell replay badges and more stabilazers so the players can get the ultra rare items and their feats. (If they lucky enough or millionaires)
    But then why you guys ignore the suggestions? I mean what are you up to aside of TCs? There's many threads asking for styles and marketplace releases that were completely ignored.
    Still waiting for marketplace releases, more hairstyle packs, more Bombshell styles, Legends and Legends skin...
    It's style unlock ever going to happen? It's been year and half since that and Water powers were announced...
    • Like x 3
  14. HEALER35 Well-Known Player

They must have some great salaries, I want a job :)
  15. Brother Allen Loyal Player

While I don't completely agree with his assessment of the time SOE had control of the game I am not sure you can call his statements about Daybreak "ridiculous, rude, and disrespectful". In the time Daybreak has been in charge of DCUO, they have taken ideas that players craved for a long time and turned them into an RNG money making scheme of the likes I never would have imagined.

Daybreak took Emblems that we desired for years and put them into Time Capsules instead of selling them directly on the Marketplace. Daybreak took styles that we desired for years and put them into Time Capsules instead of selling them directly on the Marketplace. Daybreak then made obtaining new and unique Materials even more difficult by putting the material behind a 12 part collection with the rare part of the collection being insanely hard to get. They then filled the Time Capsules with an abundance of stuff to dilute the possibility of a player getting the item they desired in order to hopefully coax the player into buying more Stabilizers to open more Time Capsules. Then to put a cherry on top they slapped actual Feats to these styles and emblems which should have never happened in the first place. Titles sure, but Feats that grant actual character progression via skill points shouldn't have happened.

Daybreak has also degraded the value of Membership by seemingly planning on releasing Episodes spaced apart by roughly 6 months with Events, which all players can participate in regardless of membership status, to help pass the time in between. Which is another case of them taking an idea or desire we had (large scale DLC/Episodes returning) and twisting it in a manner we never desired. Not to mention these Events were designed it seemed with the intent to coax replay badge sales out of players (regardless if they were a Member or not).

In the end, Daybreak definitely comes across to some players as a company that only cares about the $$ and not it's players. While I realize the other user did not quite type it all out as I did I think this is the point he was trying to get across Mepps. This post is not intended to be disrespectful at all and I sincerely hope it did not come across like that but I just felt the point the other user was making needed to be written out in a more thorough manner.
    • Like x 21
  16. 1 ncmike Dedicated Player

If you want bases to sell then it's time for iconic bases here's a few easy ideas .

1. The first part of the Phantom Zone alert could be a easy and successful selling base just take out the adds and guns and put it up on the marketplace.

2. Just take all the items out of the Batcave pvp map and turn it into a Batcave base another instant hit .

3. Take a few rooms from the OA alert and boom a Hard light base if you want you can change the color of the base to get people to buy a few verisons of this in different colors .
    • Like x 5
  17. Fies Committed Player

I really appreciate the honesty.
  18. Karas2016 Dedicated Player

Read green lol.
  19. Saint Nutella Loyal Player

Are those decisions LONG-TERM decisions too? I mean from the way I see it if you keep letting membership perks go obsolete it'll be bad in the long run. Maybe updating the perks to PROMOTE more people to subscribe or even keep your subscribers who are starting to feel like it's not worth it? The daily vault pass is obsolete when people get the same thing over and over again as it hasn't been updated since medival times. Lockboxes haven't had a decent update in a while and all the new styles go to time capsules. More bank slots and inventory slots would be appreciated as a large amount of people have suggested that.

Has it also occurred to you guys that one of the large reasons that the PvP community is a minority and just getting smaller and smaller as we speak because the quality of it is low? There was a time when many loved to PvP. Now it's riddled by imbalance and bugs. Hasn't been updated in a long time and we haven't had a pvp season in forever. When you make a soup that doesn't taste good initially but has potential to taste better you don't neglect that potential and throw the soup down the drain and not try to create it again. Instead you see where you went wrong and try to improve so that it can be great and NOT forgotten. DC has such an awesome combat system and the fact that PvP is a hot mess is pretty ironic.

You also said something along the lines of 'you guys have a lot of perks which means many reasons to subscribe' to a player asking for more. The thing is Mepps, it's not the quantity that matters... because we do have many perks... it's the quality of those perks that REALLY matter.
    • Like x 6
  20. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

and time capsules dont effect a small portion of the player base? Im sorry but thats not a good reason, hell the speedster cowl appealed only to a small portion as well yet it was implemented no?
    • Like x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.