Second support role?

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by DeitySupreme, Nov 23, 2018.

1. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Was wondering how everyone would feel if powers received a 2nd support role. IE nature becoming a dps healer tank.

Since they took out the power trees they gave themselves an opportunity to add new powers that could be role locked. While also adding role specific interactions to existing adds.

As an example in tank role vine lash pulls adds in aoe form. Savage growth already heals in healer role. Would be able to make it an aoe pull while in tank role. And gorilla already has some tankiness build in. In tank role those defensive buffs could be increased.

You could even incorporate the poisons into the tank mechanic. Adding poisons to targets debuffs their damage to you and allies. IE 1 poison makes targets do 30% less damage. 2 poisons makes targets affected by poisons do 45% less damage, and 3 poisons will make targets do 55% less damage. Thorn burst could add a shield in tank role. And hitting a poisoned enemy will heal yourself for 5% of missing health. This means that it heals you the weaker you become.

Thoughts and ideas for other power 2nd roles?
    • Like x 1
  2. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Other ideas/concepts:

Electric troll: electrical energy
    Sorcery troll: introduce a new power giving pet?
    Sorcery tank: guardian tanking
    Water troll: fountain of youth?
    Celestial tank: life draining/vampiric style tank

HL tank: bring back old shielding power?
    Mental tank: shields and manipulation of enemies
    Gadgets tank: mech defenses

Fire troll: like coal gives energy
    Earth healer: mud bath lol
    Rage healer: force your allies to experience rage scar tissue
    Atomic healer: reconstructing allies damaged cells
  3. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

For it. My only issue would be gear. I don't want to have to collect a third set of gear.
  4. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

That’s the best part lol. You actually have a choice of picking which ever support you’d like lol. Let’s say you hate healing but like nature dps. You could choose to tank instead of healing lol
  5. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

True but I try hard.
  6. Brit Loyal Player

I look at it as a double edged sword.

Would it be cool to be able to play my Gadgets character as a Healer, or my Atomic character as a Controller? Sure. There are times when I enjoy a powerset, but I don't enjoy the role attached to it. Heck, there are powersets like Water where I love being a healer, but I just hate the way Water Healing works.

But then I think of the other side of that coin. If that change was made, two things would happen to me on the exact same day, and every day thereafter.

First, I would queue into an instance as a Healer or Controller or whatever, and then there would be somebody else queued for that role with a 1CR advantage over me, and suddenly I'd have six people out of seven all yelling at me to change into a role that I do not have gear for. It already happens with people trying to push me to go DPS when I don't have a set-up for it. It would be far worse if there was this presumption in the community that everybody was just expected to be able to fulfill all roles equally well. "Hey, Healer, change and Tank this." with no Tank gear, loadout, or experience, does not sound like fun at all.

Second, I would queue into an instance and see 7 people in the DPS role, 5 of whom queued as their support roles as well but have no intentions of actually playing in those roles. Already there is an annoyance in the queues from these morons who think that queuing as Tank or Controller will make stuff pop faster, but then when they get in and the group is built with the presumption they will fill that role, they refuse to actually switch stances and so the group has no one playing that role. With those idiots ruining groups before they start, expanding it so that they can queue even more ways will get those same people into even more groups, which will cause a whole lot of frustration.

Sounds fun from the perspective of a solo player, but really annoying from the perspective of anyone who uses the queuing system.
    • Like x 2
  7. recoil2 Dedicated Player

good idea, bad example. there would have to be some MAJOR gymnastics of stats being re arranged and adjusted for any healer to really be a tank, since many healer power sets already throw off a small amount of pot and have some aoe stunns/cc effects it might be smarter to give healers a secondary troller support role rather than tank. secondary roles fitting per role: healer-controller, controller-tank, tank-dps (many tank powers would have been perfect to have been decreed purely dps at their conception like rage and fire, which have higher dps potential).
  8. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

I agree that it is a lot of stuff to do to make it work, however if they are set on not adding any more powers to the game than something else they could do is to add more roles to existing powers.

Also makes sense for them financially. There are a lot of people who spam raids to get marks and gear for their secondary roles. These people would probably spend even more replays to get 3 sets of gear instead of 2. This would also make their dlcs last longer for them since those min makers would have a 3rd role to max out. Including artifacts and augments.
  9. recoil2 Dedicated Player

i'm not suggesting it's a bad idea or even at all impractical, in fact i think the second support role idea could replace role less buffs. just not to the extent of making a healer a tank, a troller certainly as every one of the four roles shares 1 or 2 fundamental function with another specific role. select tanks could be a troller or dps, healers could be makeshift trollers if none is provided; if given a buff to increase their pot marginally and if their ccs were buffed by the roleless buff as well, and trollers could be tanks if the roleless buff increased their shield durations and gave trollers a taunt included with crowd control abilities.
  10. Melusine Midnight Rainbow Phoenix

Exactly.

However, it would be cool to be able to permanently change your support role to an already existing one. For examples, Celestial DPS/Rage Tank, Nature DPS/Water Healer, Ice DPS/Mental Troll. This could be advertised as a premium benefit, only possible through the use of a $10 "Dual-Spec Token". They would sell. Oh how they would sell.
    • Like x 2
  11. Redd Blur Active Player

That's funny that you mentioned this. I've been saying this to my league for months. They seem to think that it would be a great idea to be able to pick a dps power and a total different support power. I do like the idea of being a dual support. Before the augments, I would change powers almost twice a month, what can I say, I liked trying new powers, but I digress. Back to my point, I would generally have 3 sets of gear anyway, so being a dual role and having to get a 3rd set of gear wouldn't be that difficult....at least for me. I'm in for these ideas
    • Like x 1
  12. Brit Loyal Player

That... is not a bad idea at all.

I have been in love with Nature Healing since launch, but I loathe Nature DPS. I must have power swapped my main at least 20 times trying other Healer sets to try and find one that I like for both roles, but ultimately I have always come back to Nature.

If I could be Nature Healing but Electric or Munitions for DPS on the same character, I would be happy to switch roles for my groups, instead of Vote.Excuse every time they tell me to change.
    • Like x 2
  13. Illumin411 Loyal Player

A leaguemate of mine is nature and performs quite well on the DPS side. I'm not sure if you loathe it because of the results, because you don't find it fun, or both, but if it's just the former, send him a tell and ask for his loadout. He's KidxSmash and I'm sure he'd have no issue helping you out. Tell him X sent ya!
  14. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Considering there are two ways to deal damage, weapons and powers, and that cross-weapon combos were introduced ages ago, it's surprising to me that some kind of cross-power option hasn't been done.

Every product based company does this:

Bakery:
    "Everybody loved the holiday frosting on our cookiesthis year, lets do it on the cupcakes too next year"

Car Company:
    "The new redesign of our luxury automobiles really boosted sales. Lets do a similar re-design on our economy models"

Daybreak:
    "People seem to like the new weapon mastery combos! Well, our work i done here!"
  15. Ryuvain Active Player

This is what I've always wanted ironically. I would pay to finally play my favorite nature as a tank. I've played tank in basically every other game besides this one. Don't mind healing but tanking is what I do.
  16. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

As much as I love this idea I highly doubt they would do this. Personally I’d love to atomic tank and nature dps. The thing is that if they were able to do that than they would loose a lot of money overall from people switching between powers because they like some aspect of that power.

Reason I said that they should add a second support role is that yes they would loose a little money from switching powers for a role but it would make up that money with replay tokens for people buying max gear and sales for artifacts/augments. So it’s a win for them and for us we have a second option for support role or we can just choose to do 2 support roles for people who do not dps. So it’s a win for us too.

And if they are deadset on not introducing new powers than this is a work around to that as they can promote this new add on for each power.

I do not think it’s as much work as people think it would be adding secondary support effects to powers.

For example, in gorilla form vine is already an aoe pull, granted the aoe is still small.

In dps roles powers do not debuff but in troll role they do. In dps all powers don’t heal but in healer role some powers gain the ability to heal. And in dps role powers don’t ignore the damage rule for taunting while in tank role they have increased aggro. So I do not think this is as big of a change to powers as some have pointed out.
  17. Highplains Sailor Well-Known Player

If nothing else this would enable a wide diversity of characters. Right now if you see someone using a Nature or an Ice power in DPS, you know their support role is Healing or Tank. A Dual-Spec Token option gives you a chance to give your character more of its own unique 'character'.

As far as people not filling the role that they queued up for, it already happens. People who do this will continue to do it regardless of what support role they have. So I would not want to see the idea discarded for that reason alone.
    • Like x 1
  18. Dragon600 New Player

I had to log in here for the first time in a very long time just so I could voice my support for this. I have played this game on and off since just shortly after launch. I prefer to play a support role when doing content. I still keep equivalent DPS gear but it seems like there's never a shortage of DPS. I'm not the best but not the worst, so I'd prefer someone who wants to play that role do so. Right now I'm using electricity and I would love to have the option to play as a troll/tank in addition to healing. I would even buy an expansion token or whatever to do it.

Just having the option to fill that other support role in the case that someone leaves a raid is beneficial. I don't mind the idea of needing to have a second armor set or armory because like it's labelled, it's an expansion.

I like this idea because it allows you to get more out of the game without needing to learn a new powerset. I know electric and prefer it over the others (I've played mental, fire, and celestial too). Also it would allow me to only need one toon to play different roles. What turns me off from playing others would be the need to play so much extra content and gain SP and such just to play another support role I like second to healing.

Just my thought here. I would love to see this type of power expansion added. Those of us who like to play in styles that aren't just damage output would like this. I'd like to think this would help with matchmaking and cut queue times.
    • Like x 2