Seasonal Styles For Replays

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Psycho Tech, Feb 7, 2022.

1. Psycho Tech Dedicated Player

Why is this not a thing, & can it be changed? Hate to wait 10 more months again to get my new guy a holiday elf chest when
    I should be able to unlock from my main
    • Like x 13
  2. Achikah All About That Base

I'm all for this. Just made a pirate character and would really love to unlock my hook hand and peg leg now instead of waiting til summer.
    • Like x 5
  3. Brit Loyal Player

All styles should be opened for style unlocking.

If they want to try and less-than-subtly encourage people to grind it on multiple characters, then just make the RB cost higher.

But being open for style unlocking, no matter what the price ends up being, should be a thing for EVERY style in the game.
    • Like x 6
  4. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

I'm here waiting for the Spring event all because I recently acquired a material that gave me a great idea. Unfortunately I have the style on a completely different toon, and I can't use replays to copy the style. If it needs to cost more than the standard 4RBs then so be it. They already have certain pieces at 35 and 50RBs...I can deal with that.
    • Like x 4
  5. Drathmor Unwavering Player

Im all for being able to unlock styles you already have but some of the replay price points
    [IMG]
    • Like x 3
  6. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

35-50RBs is not too high....350-700RBs is. At 35-50 you can easily get a couple of pieces using your monthly replays for subbing.
    • Like x 3
  7. Proxystar #Perception

Would like to see seasonal items available on style share as well
    • Like x 3
  8. Psycho Tech Dedicated Player

Adding Abyssal Horns to the list, def should be unlockable on alts
    • Like x 1
  9. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I can understand why folks would want this. But it's pretty much guaranteed player engagement for the devs to not have the seasonal styles available for unlocking, and for various reasons they do want us playing.

The price drops on older items was a nice touch to help soften the blow when it comes to getting things for feats, so I do give them credit for that. But it's really tough for me to see them allowing seasonal styles to be unlockable when the current set-up means they get us to play, or pay depending on one's willingness to purchase the seasonal currency from the Marketplace.
    • Like x 1
  10. Eve YouTuber

I need this. I mean we still need to farm for base items and new stuff anyway so why not let us unlock seasonal styles?
    • Like x 3
  11. Brit Loyal Player

I politely disagree.

Looking just over this thread as a basemark, almost every single person is describing a same situation. "I made a new character and..."

There cannot be increased participation in the seasonal events for people to run it on this extra character if the extra character doesn't exist when the seasonal event is going on. These same players are the ones who have no problem running the seasonal event on multiple characters.

In contrast, if the game has a baked-in design that discourages players from making and playing new characters, then you see REDUCED participation. "Hey, I thought of this new character I want to play... but since I can't get him to look the way I want, I'm not going to bother."

Arguably, it would actually INCREASE particpation in the events. And, more importantly in the eyes of the Developers I am sure, since Style Unlocking costs Replay Badges, adding everything for Style Unlocking adds MONEY to the game. Players pay more money in, so that they can custom out multiple characters, ignoring the fact that the game is very un-friendly towards alts. Then, after spending the extra time and money on these new characters, they have to play these characters as well to gear them up, meaning increased participation. And then they need Artifacts and Allies, meaning more spending.

In essence, everything that makes an alt feel more appealing will increase the participation and spending in the game. Anything which makes alts feel pointless will decrease participation and spending.

Failing to have Style Unlocking on styles that won't be available again for 11 months falls into the latter category.
    • Like x 2
  12. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I look at it this way: if you've got all the styles from a seasonal event already unlocked, what incentive is there to run the event on that character? Remember, we're talking about styles, and if you've already got the styles collected that's one less reason to run the content at all. Keeping the styles unavailable for unlocking means you either run the content to get the currency needed for those styles or you buy the currency from the Marketplace to buy those styles.

And even if they were to make them available for unlocking, you'd probably be looking at the increased costs mentioned earlier. I'm not even going to try to do the full math, as it's late enough for me that I wouldn't trust my calculations and math was never one of my favorite subjects to begin with. LOL But 540-600 Marketplace currency will snag you 50 pieces of the seasonal currency, depending on whether or not the person subscribes, and that currency is only available during the event. Meanwhile subscribers get 150 Replay Badges every month, plus they run between 400-500 Marketplace currency (again, depending on subscription status). Between the seasonal nature of the items and the cost difference between the two, having higher unlocking costs would be the easiest way for them to make up for any potential lost income from players buying the seasonal currency.

And to be a bit blunt, if someone's finding an alt pointless because they can't immediately get a particular costume piece/set due to it being a seasonal item, that kind of seems like their own hang-up to deal with. We can never predict when inspiration for a character or a particular concept will strike. Sometimes it will line up perfectly and everything one might need is immediately available, and sometimes you think of the perfect personification of Halloween in March. LOL But that character will play just the same in the game, with or without the costume pieces that a player feels will perfectly round out their look. If someone is less engaged with that character because they can't get that costume piece they want right away and have to wait for it, that's on them.
  13. Zneeak Devoted Player

Personally, I agree in the general sentiment of your "participation"-angle, but that went out the window they decided to sell an Event's currency on the Marketplace. So, on that regard they might aswell include seasonal styles within the style Unlock-system aswell. More potential income from the Devs in fullfilling the list of styles there, and players can enjoy unlocking seasonal stuff across alts without having to wait X amount of months each time.

The way this economy looks at the moment anyway, nobody would really want to NOT participate in any Event anymore. It's almost a required grind to keep up if you want to have an existing in-game wallet these days lol.
    • Like x 1