"Rude League Names"

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Lara, Aug 29, 2020.

1. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Um, yeah, except the person I was replying to said specifically that 'sometimes censorship is a good thing'.
    See that's called a difference of opinion, which I'm allowed to have....thank God. I also wouldn't say that DI changing a league name or blocking it is 'censorship'. It's more to do with community guidelines or TOS. If somewhere in the guidelines it says that you can't create a user or league name that targets a specific group, then they would just be enforcing the established rule. 'Censorship' as a word does have the connotation of governmental censorship...although I know it does not exclusively mean that.

If you'd read some of my posts I never said anything about constitutional rights or first amendment and again specifically called out that it is a private game and that the devs/DI will do as they please as is their rights, up to and including dropping some users or names, if they found something to be offensive. Obviously at this point DI Does NOT Find some of these things offensive or against TOS as they are allowed to exist. You ask what I suggest and I already suggested it. IF someone finds something offensive, feel free to open a ticket or start another discussion like this one in the forums. Assuming there is enough noise, DI would likely take action.

BTW, if you started screaming at me in my living room at a party, I'd say you would be ejected forcefully. You can feel free to classify it as censorship or just a plain butt-kicking...it wouldn't matter to me as you'd be gone.
    • Like x 1
  2. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I have no complaint other than the discussion of "I don't like something...so it should just be gone" was started. We see a lot of this in the world right now, so I guess I don't really need it in my game. And I didn't say anything about things being right or wrong, I said 'Just because you find something offensive doesn't make it wrong as a whole'. Someone obviously thinks that having a league named after Covid or DS is wrong, so it should be stopped. I'm disagreeing, but respect their opinion that it's offensive to THEM. Put in a ticket...maybe get things changed.

I said a few times, "Put in a report, if DI then wants to change something they can". I'm perfectly fine with someone being offended by something I"m not offended by. I'm perfectly fine with someone putting in a complaint about it, and if it happens....fine with DI making a change to make that group happy. Personally I have a few toons which some MIGHT find offensive (names with innuendo or a semi-dirty connotation) and I'd like to think it would take more than 1 or 2 people being offended before I'd have to change them.

The gist of the original discussion (before you turned it into an episode of Perry Mason) was that because someone was offended by a league name, DI should just change it or it should not be allowed....wholesale. So ANYTHING that offends ANYONE would be open to elimination. THAT's what I'm against. Submit a complaint, DI can review things and MAYBE take action. I'd guess that if 10 people out of the 1000's that play the game are offended, nothing will happen. If it's multiple 100's something may happen.

I believe that's how things work now with the exception of those few 'offensive' things caught by the automatic filter already in place (which we all know you can work around), so I wasn't really asking for anything to change.
    • Like x 3
  3. Proxystar #Perception

I haven't read the previous posts to be honest, but just wanted to throw in there that in fact sometimes censorship is actually a good thing.

Certain things can be damaging to individuals or groups of individuals and require censorship, some things simply shouldn't be said or shown period, at all, whatsoever.

That's actually why countries have classification boards on media such as movies, books, games etc.

America might be exceptionally liberal, probably too much so in my opinion, don't get me wrong I don't agree with reckless censorship but some level of censorship is also important. The obvious example being that you want to limit the exposure of minors to certain types of obvious material.
  4. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

LOL I've had multiple people in the Watchtower send me tells saying that my name is offensive and should change it and that I've been reported. Like I said, this has happened multiple times. When the word Hurricane is deemed offensive you know those people are batsnip crazy lol
    • Like x 2
  5. Proxystar #Perception

I'm sending you another tell today :D - just kidding
    • Like x 1
  6. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

LOL I'm from Regina and we call it "the city that rhymes with fun!). I actually knew Mr Assman and his family well. Back in the 90s im not sure there was a gas station in town that a member of the Assman family didn't run or work in. That little mention on Letterman made him famous for a minute
  7. myandria Item Storage

Actually, I do not see it that way. If I am using a name that someone finds offensive AND the devs deem it so, then yeah, I deserve to be told about it, lose the name and given the opportunity to change that name. Simple. I see nothing wrong with that; it would be a leaning experience for me and the offended person/people will move on. That's a win-win in my book.
    • Like x 1
  8. Proxystar #Perception

Except to be fair that's not what happens from my understanding, the name is often just changed to something generic by a GM and the player is left having to spend $10USD to change it again.

I would like to think that if a name were truly skirting close to the lines then the GM's would leave a name change token in the inventory but I doubt that's happening.

If the name is obviously offensive then fine, but if it's only highly subjective then yeah.
  9. the solowing Steadfast Player

The name FourFourFour is a dog whistle (You didnt even address it :confused:) , a Americas player wouldnt notice anything, but some Chinese players would take issue with that. But it would fly past the Customer Service radar as harmless if noone was privy

Now if i named a character SixSixSix (and i think one does exist), a american player could potentially find it offensive, and the Customer Service being more familiar with our western customs. Would it be renamed as given its mythos of the number 666
    is offensive to some?

Now a issue that also comes up, what if you find a name offensive, and Customer Service doesnt find it offensive? Are you simply going to do the thing you could've done the first time, and just ignore their name?

Or will Daybreak shamed for its tolerance of "offensive" names.
    • Like x 1
  10. SekretVillain Loyal Player

I'm right there with you, I think people should be able to play a game without worrying if someone will get their panties twisted at everything they do, because that is no fun, idc who you are.

And it sure as heck isnt the reason we all play video games either. Me I play video games to escape from real life issues and have fun with friends. As I'd like to think that goes for majority of the people who play video games.
    • Like x 2
  11. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Ok so another example of this comes to mind. We are discussing league names in relation to being offended on an individual level and what power the offended player does or should hold over the changing of the name based on subjective offence.

Now, i have seen some christian leagues (very cool in my subjective opinion as a conservative who believes in religious freedom).
    I have also seen statanic names of ppl or leagues (not my cup of tea AT ALL as a christian conservative).
    These 2 are about as polar opposite as can be and the fact they are tethered to belief systems IMO would make these likely the most potentially offensive to each other as can be.

So, do either have the authority, right, the grounds, the whatever to attempt a ban based on their personal subjective view of the names?

I say no, they do not. They need to respect each others right to have the opinion they do and respect their right to express it. They dont have to play with each other or talk to each other. They can ignore each other. They can handle themselves how they choose but neither side has the grounds to attack the other.

Just tossing that one up as again, these are the most polar opposite sides there pretty much can be. It even goes beyond an individual being offended into an entire group being offended due to the nature of the names and what they represent.
    Yet like the names or not, i see no cause for anyone to force their opinion onto the other.
    “Live and let live“
    You do u an i will do me even if i dont agree.

Censorship is “Live like me or else”
    Its a premiss where your forced to conform to another's opinion

Just another example for y’all to digest an think about, have fun
    • Like x 1
  12. Tenacity New Player

What did you type all this out for? Im assuming you dont agree with me or couldnt figure out that the censored word I added in.... is a racial slur.

I would think that everyone, including daybreak, would be okay with the censoring of racial slurs in a video game. It doesn't seem like daybreak makes too much of an effort preemptively to reduce these types of things.. Jesus, man.

Racism should absolutely be censored and have no place anywhere (besides museums I suppose.), especially not in a damn video game.
    • Like x 1
  13. Yass Queen Hyppolyta Dedicated Player

If someone is a "christian conservative" they shouldn't be playing videogames at all, especially not this one.
  14. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Why not? I think you have a misunderstanding of what a christian (non-denominational) and a conservative is.
    But i will take your comment under advisement......
  15. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I wasn't typing that all out to you. It was to MsTickle. I just revisited the quote I sent to you early on (which you apparently had no issue with the 1st time when it was a reply direct to you). No, I did not get that particular racial slur...I honestly thought it was something else (dirty vs racial), guess I need to to brush up on my racial slurs so I can then never use them.

Again...it should come down to community guidelines. There are filters in place to catch some, and a reporting system to report the ones that get through. Obviously if these offensive words exist, the filter didn't catch them....so feel free to report them. Although I agree racial slurs shouldn't be allowed, or could be rolled back if reported, this one obviously got through and I'd guess that not enough people were offended here, so hence you can still see the name in game. I'd think it would only take a few reports to get some action as it's pretty obvious (assuming the letters were not blocked out). However, without seeing the characters in the league, could it be that it's an homage to the trio of South Park episodes where Cartman plays a hero of that same name...and maybe the other toons in the squad are based off the other 'heroes' who accompany him? You are probably right...it's probably racial, but it's not the only possibility.
    https://wiki.southpark.cc.com/wiki/Coon_and_Friends

Honestly, as I said before, almost nothing in the game could offend me (other than having to spend 50 hours doing bounties this DLC)....especially words. BUT....in one post you used the lord's name in vain and used what a lot of people would consider a 'curse' word. Personally I'm not offended, but if someone else is, you ready for the backlash for being insensitive or offensive? Just saying a LOT of stuff can be offensive to a very few people.

I'd also like how a league name is what offends people in this game, not the 1000's of times an hour the N word (Don't care how you spell it...same word) goes through shout/trade chat. I hope you are reporting all of those people too, at least ignoring them.

I've already tapped out on this conversation a few times....guess 3rd times a charm.....we'll see.
  16. Yass Queen Hyppolyta Dedicated Player

lol I mean I guess if it's all just a pose and you're going to pick and choose whatever is easy and convenient to you for your "faith" knock yourself out
  17. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

So someone or someones have a different opinion than you. So what? They're as entitled to post their opinions as you are. What you are objecting to is people posting opinions you don't share. (Their's being "I'm offended by that name.")

And that is a complete strawman, since DCUO has never never put players in charge of decisions. You're ranting against a non-existent thing and boiling it down to "I don't want to see opinions that I disagree with," namely, people complaining about being offended. You don't want to see people complaining about being offended because... it offends you.

So you have no complaint other than that people are voicing opinions you dislike. You want them to stop.

But that's not up to you. If you disagree, post your disagreement. But complaining that there is a discussion with opinions you don't like? Good luck with that.
    Thanks for clearing that up.

Okay, then. So we can stop now?

Incidentally, that I disagree with you about something does not mean I do not respect or do not like you; you're a valuable contributor to the forums whom I generally agree with. But reasonable people can disagree about things.
    • Like x 3
  18. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Wait, you want to be considerate of other people's feelings despite not sharing the feeling/opinion?

THAT'S CRAZY TALK!
  19. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Oh noes! I must be considerate of other people's feelings! THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS AND CAN'T BE ALLOWED!
  20. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

No, that's not the discussion. Players have zero power to do anything about other players other than submit a complaint ticket. There's no such thing as "power the offended player" has. You're just making that up out of whole cloth. It's not a thing.

Nobody but DCUO has the authority and ability to ban anything or anyone. You're simply making up a claim that players can do this. They can't. It's not an issue.

Yes, users of a privately owned internet system are forced to confirm to the TOS.

Apparently you are shocked, shocked, that TOS's exist, and you wish them and all speech rules to go away.

That's nice. You'll find when you grow up that you're required to follow all sorts of rules you think silly. Deal.
    • Like x 1