ROLEPLAY Guide

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by ThatSuperKid412, Feb 20, 2015.

1. ThatSuperKid412 Well-Known Player

Hey everybody! There are so many people in DCUO who love to role play, to act out their own character or an iconic character and just have fun pretending to be that person.

There are awesome ways you can immerse yourselves in roleplay even more with a guide on how true, professional, roleplayers due things. There simple and easy but it takes your experience to a whole new imagination.

What is roleplaying?
    - The difference between Roleplay, and roleplaying is the act of using words to describe your actions in game. Imagine a large collective novel, that everything you did wrote a new sentence in that big book. This is basically what you are doing in roleplaying, you are taking words and using them to help paint the word picture of what is going on around you.

There are two distinguishes marks of RP, IC and OOC.
    IC is In Character, meaning you are in RP mode. Everything you say is for Roleplay.

OOC is Out of Character, meaning you arent roleplaying. Typically if you want to say an OOC Statement while IC, you use brackets (Like so)

RP....It's basically writing your own book in a way, here is an example.

*Silverbolt dashes into the room, "Hey guys!" He says kindly with a gentle wave of his hand. The speedster runs over by the nearest lady in the room and gives a quirky remark, "And hello to you!" He gives a inviting wink to reveal a bit of his, less than serious personality.*

In such a post, you are basically putting more detail in what you imagine to happen, no smiling or winky faces and yet i also helps the reader know exactly what you are doing and brings more life into the picture.

The response could be, *Supergirl, disgusted in the flirtatious attitude of the young hero, rejects him. "Ugh, go away Silverbolt!"* This is an example of a shorter but just as effective of a response.

Why can't I simply just type dialogue and smiley faces?
    - You can, but it may not be as lively or as full of the roleplay experience you "could" have.

ROLEPLAY RULES:

These rules apply mainly to an amazing concept called "FFC (free form combat)" Which is also called Text Based combat.

Ever wanted to roleplay with someone with pure imagination without having your level or CR get in the way of having fun? In RP Combat, you can do this! However there a few rules and you will see why.

METAGAMING: In RP, metagaming is the act of knowing knowledge In Character, you did not have previously

Example.
    *Silverbolt looks at Green Arrow, "Hey Oliver!"* (Stop, Green Arrow hasn't told Silverbolt previously that he is oliver queen, and Silverbolt did not actually have any information gained in character to know this.)

POWERMODDING: Powermodding is when in RP combat, you overpower yourself to your age or character development.

Now, this is a little different in DCUO because in RP world, you want to grow your character. Naturally just because you ar CR level 100 doesnt mean you can beat up the leader of your league who is CR 36, its the natural respect of wanting to progress your character in experience.

GODMODDING: IN RP COMBAT, Godmodding is forcing an outcome without room of avoiding

Example: *Silverbolt dashes towards Batman, sending his fist quick and sharp it blasts Batman's stomach open and kills him.*

In any RP Combat, you always want to leave room for avoiding an attack, this helps with an enjoyable time and creativity of the experience.

Correct RP combat post: *Silverbolt charges superman with great speed. With every intention of killing him, Silverbolt attempts to send a strong kick to Superman's back.*

I come from a community of huge roleplayers in a simulator called Second Life, while we obviously play an MMO, for those out there who support this style of RP, I encourage you to like this post. For those interested in it, use the rules above and have fun! I love roleplaying with people and would love to see an MMO have a more diverse experience of RP.

Hope you guys enjoyed! If you don't like this way of RPing, that's going, just ignore this! :D
    • Like x 4
  2. ThatSuperKid412 Well-Known Player

I guess no one liked this guide x_x lol
  3. Nebula153 Well-Known Player

If it helps, I think this was well done. The game severely lacks roleplaying in my opinion, not just in chats but styles of characters. Like I would expect more people to try and have an iconic look for their character that would actually make sense in the DC Universe, but I usually end up seeing a collection of the rarest items in the game (Robot Joker Head, Kick Me Sign, and the Captain Cold hood for an example).
    • Like x 2
  4. ThatSuperKid412 Well-Known Player

Thanks man! Hopefully I can get roleplay flowing much better in DCUO where people can truly feel like they are playing their own superhero!
  5. Shadowdragon Devoted Player

Interesting guide. I don't RP other than my loadout/weapon choices, but was always curious about how it worked.
    • Like x 1
  6. ThatSuperKid412 Well-Known Player

If you ever want to meet up and Roleplay, give it a shot to see how you like it, let me know I would love to RP with you! :)
    • Like x 1
  7. MeowMixingKat New Player

you still looking for people to roleplay with? Friend Katniss Jade and I'll roleplay with you sometime. I have been roleplaying for over 10 years so I am pretty good :p
    • Like x 1
  8. La Luna Splende New Player

Superkid, are you still around?
    • Like x 1
  9. ThatSuperKid412 Well-Known Player

Hey there! Sorry I been so busy I havent been on the forums in some time! But yes add me in game Silverbolt01 and I would love to start roleplaying with you :D
  10. La Luna Splende New Player

Sorry for the long response time. I was ill for a few months there. I won't bore you with the real life details, but I did wander away as a result and only now coming back.

I will add you in game. Thinking about rerolling Sera Lune so I can take the La Luna Spende name again. Also, having trouble getting past this one quest that no one seems to know the answer to.
  11. Black5pider Active Player

Add me in game!!

Q Society if hero
    lllAZTEKlll if villian
  12. 8balls Well-Known Player

13. BoldLockdown New Player

I'm a newbie to the game, but an RP veteran. I have a couple of RP-oriented questions.

(1) Are there any RP-oriented leagues in DCUO, on either side?

(2) Isn't text-chat style RP really difficult for PSN or Xbox people, or do people substitute voice for text. If so, is an attempt voice acting expected?
  14. 8balls Well-Known Player

well you can find a community of interconnected chat channels on here http://bdcuoroleplayershaven.runboard.com/