Robot faction question

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Random Mind, Oct 25, 2022.

1. Random Mind Dedicated Player

When I created my robot villain I put him in the Tech faction but now I'm thinking that maybe I should have put him Meta because of villains like Metallo, The Terminator and Ultron. They may be tech themselves but would they really be part of the Tech faction?
  2. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

A. Tech and Meta are not factions in this game.
    B. It doesn't matter what mentor you choose.
    C. Metallo is only listed as a "Meta" villain because he is Superman's nemesis.
  3. Random Mind Dedicated Player

My Apologies... Mentor. Still Robots being Mentored by Joker vs Lex Luthor?

I know it doesn't really matter unfortunately I when I create characters I try to make them as accurately as possible even if they are my own creations. So, it does matter to me which does make me crazy sometimes.
  4. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

IMHO it really comes down to what you feel is most appropriate for that specific character, especially since it's your own toon. You can base that decision off whatever you want. For a lot of my toons I went more with the mentor I felt fit the character best based on WHO the mentor is rather than it being tech/meta/magic. Due to this, I have some characters that are really tech but have the meta mentor because the character for that category fits them better. For example, I have several toons that are tech based but have Lex mentor because it just makes a lot more sense to me for my character to work with him than with Joker for various reasons. Heck, some of my characters would really fit multiple categories story-wise. My self-insert Kestrel has super strength, enhanced senses, wings and flight, and enhanced resilience but also is part of the Batfamily and uses tech and a lot of Bat-fam methods of operation, making her fit both tech and meta. There's really no right or wrong answer here. It's really just what feels appropriate to you for this particular character. After all, it's your character and the whole point of the game is to make the character you want and bring them into the DCU.
    • Like x 2
  5. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Joker, Luthor and Circe are terrible mentors. Calculator is the true mentor for villains.
    • Like x 5
  6. Random Mind Dedicated Player

My character's name is Duplicant and I originally based him off a BTAS villain HARDAC who was creating robot duplicates of the people of Gotham City and I thought this was a cool idea for a toon, especially because I like creating different styles. However, I started to think that maybe he was more of a Superman level threat than a Batman threat. Then the craziness kicked in and it was how do you decide what mentor he should have? Is it based on the characters powers, what type of character he is, who should be his mentor/ ally or who would be his main rival and my brain has been going back and forth ever since.
  7. Random Mind Dedicated Player

No doubt. Plus the dude can be pretty hilarious sometimes.
    • Like x 1
  8. Sghoul Well-Known Player

From a purely practical standpoint, the mentors don't matter after you get to level 30 (which is basically the tutorial at this point). You won't really deal with them again. And many of them aren't great representations of their group anyway. I mean, Wonderwoman is not a magic user, so why is she in charge of my spellcasting character? I can only think of 1 Mission that kinda makes mention of your Mentor (an Ultraviolet construct get summoned that you have to fight).

From a lore perspective, I just assume my character's mentor is whomever I say it is. Because this is a game, you have to make choices that you wouldn't if you were simply creating a character in the DC universe. For example, my main character's powers are the ability to temporarily 'borrow' objects from other realities. They happen to glow green. The closest I could get to that was the Light Construct Powerset. But I don't consider my character a green lantern, nor does he use a power ring. And frankly, he would probably get along better with the Flash than Bats, Supes, or WW.
    • Like x 1