Returning Player Advice

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Pale Rage, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

Hi! As the headline says, returning player. I played many years ago, then quit for a while, then returned, and quit playing again. Now, I'm considering playing again, but more casually. Obviously, as with my previous return, there was a lot to learn and catch up on.

Right now, I'm curious before diving into the game again, on a few things, and would appreciate experienced community opinions. When I say experienced, I'm going out on a limb hoping that people who have only ever played a few powers, will refrain from replying with spam answers of one powerset that I should change to. Not happening.

My characters powers' are as follows: Rage, Celestial, Electricity, and Atomic. So, on with the questions...

1. Relentless Anger (Rage) used to absorb all damage (in DPS) just as in tank role. Does the DPS still have/use this as a viable option?

2. How well does Rage Tank and Rage DPS perform in both solo, and group content these days?

3. Is there a particular power that everyone pretty much agrees upon, that is 'op'?

4. What are some good rotations/powers for Rage tanking/dps.

5. How are the Celestial and Electric powers working lately for healing and DPS?

6. Has the extremely high power consumption/restoration of power with Electricty been fixed, or does Electric DPS still drain power like it's going out of style?

7. What are some good Celestial and Electric DPS rotations?

8. Is Atomic Tanking still so easy that it isn't really fun/rewarding?

9. What's the population like, as far as getting into 4-man and 8-man instances? Do we still have tons of people playing powers that have no clue how to use them, or have people generally learned their power a bit more to where you're not having to 'carry' people through (or kick them from raids so they can be replaced with people who know their power)?

When I played years ago, my Rage DPS was 'on point.' Continually my Rage DPS was topping the charts with damage, even when it considered one of the weakest powers. Don't get my wrong, when you're playing in a raid, forking out the highest and most insane amounts of damage was cool and all, but I honestly would hope that powers have been somewhat balanced (sigh of hope) after all these years of unbalanced powers.
    I'm not sure if I'm going to get "involved" with the game as I used to, but if I do, I'll most likely be looking to join a league that is established. Previously, I was in the same league practically my entire time(s) of playing, and that league has long since diminished (Justice Godz).

I believe my character CR's are near or above 200, and my SP on 3 of them are over 200.
    Thanks in advance for the answers!
  2. Mazahs Loyal Player

Sorry to keep refering you to the power threads, but there is some darn good info there. I will say I giggled at your comment about Rage being weak...Rage was a monster when introduced, damn good even when it was middle tier and a monster again now.
    • Like x 1
  3. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

Actually this is my first post in years, I thought this was in the power threads of the forums?
    I remember a time when they were bringing in power return mechanics, that rage was considered to be trash: yet my main toon had always been rage. Love it!

Back to your comment though, could you be a little more specific as to 'power threads' please? I'd like to have a gander at them. Thanks!
  4. Mazahs Loyal Player

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dc...s-in-depth-healer-guide-series-videos.299222/
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dc...ans-in-depth-tank-guide-series-videos.300711/

Here are 2 pretty good ones. Should get you in right direction.
    These guides,and more are found in Oracle's Database here on the forums.

Welcome back
    • Like x 1
  5. Black Jaq Devoted Player

Electricity was always power hungry because people try to pre-heal. It is 90% reaction heals. The way they changed healing, burst is stronger than HoT which makes Electricity now the most efficient healer, provided you play it correctly. The DPS has improved greatly and is one of the best Might DPS powers as it operates well at max range.
    • Like x 1
  6. L T Devoted Player

Rage is the best tank power, and, when you can melee, about tied with gadgets and nature for the best DPS power.

The best might based DPS are nature, gadgets, rage (when you can melee) and electric (when there's a lot of adds).

If you know your combos celestial is real good both as a healer and DPS. Electric is great at both, though the DPS lags when there's not a lot of targets. Electric is not overly power hungry.

Atomic has become a lot harder to play because your combos no longer counter, and it can be challenging to keep them going due to the extreme amount of crowd control you're subjected to.

Your biggest hurdle to coming back will be artifacts. Choosing them is fun, but leveling them is painful. Each character needs at least 3. They don't have to be maxed but if you want to do end game content you'll want them pretty high

Good luck!
    • Like x 3
  7. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

Ya, I stepped in today with a little tutorial on artifacts. Finding the ones that go on the top of the character slots in that menu, I haven't yet, but I got 4 bottom ones now.

I used to be a feat hunter, and exobyte collector (how I made money). So, when I came back, I had to convert all my exobytes (I had many) and was able to level up my artifacts and might mods pretty nicely I'm guessing.
    So finding the "right" ones might be tricky.

What's a good number for skill points these days? I'm at 272.
  8. Mazahs Loyal Player

Always at or above your CR is my typical answer.
    I would guess 60+% the the player base at end game is around 250
    25% 300+ , 10% 400+ less than 5% 500+

Again just my guess but back when you could still do cencus avg end gamer was 175sp
    • Like x 1
  9. L T Devoted Player

I think you need around 330 to Max out one stat along with crits and a few tossed into movement and weapons.

Which reminds me that another big change is that a weapons focused precision play style is totally a thing and can keep up with pretty much any might build.
    • Like x 1
  10. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

I had to do some Respec when I discovered Rage (and all other powers, like celestial) was no longer precision based. That made it nice (when it was precision power), because I could switch to weapons usage for block breaking/interruption, and still land a strong got.

Just playing around for the bit I have, I think (lol) I've got a decent enough setup for power rotations on my loadout. I have been able to (with the hundreds of marks I had before quitting, and free gear from drops) been able to reach cr258 now. The content seems to be challenging enough for me to be interested in playing.
  11. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

500+ SP now? Oh my...
    When I stopped playing previously, the max was at around 280-290, I sat on 272. I'm gonna have a lot of feats to chase to get on track if I remain that long lol.
  12. Mazahs Loyal Player

Yup -I believe top is 518
    Top CR 296

TBH while SP does matter, your artifacts will matter more.
    WOrk on those and augments, SP will come with just running content
    • Like x 1