Request about Changes to Light

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by dr strangeonline, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Delta795 New Player

If by fun, you mean is it still fast paced then no. The jump cancelling and dovetailing since GU36 has brought HL more in line with other powers as far as speed. It does however still hit very hard in both PVE & PVP, just no longer clippity clippity clip at mach speed.

For controlling I still find it the most enjoyable of the powers (I don't like Gadgets so can't comment on it) It gives you multiple ways to play it. More traditional style with standard PoT, WM, Debuf, Stun using single tray moves just like Mental / Quantum /Gadgets

Or

You can still go the "ole fashioned way" of no weapon and use your constructs. I will warn you however, doing this your damage out will be greatly hindered and unless you have played this way before it does take a pretty high learning curve. It to me is the most fun and visually appealing. I will run this way through most content, but not usually in end game content. The capability of HL trolling is the same as any other power & those that say it isn't either have played with a bad HL or are not understanding of the power itself.
    • Like x 2
  2. Lantern Jild New Player

That's how it is supposed to work, now im telling you that last night i did this on a dummy.

chomps>pGH>cFAN/pHC>cHC>cHC/pGH.... (/=clip, p=power, c=combo)

That last Grasping Hand didn't give the power return and PI was up, maybe be cause it was a dummy, dun know.
  3. Rokyn Dedicated Player

Wow that's weird! Ok I'll take a look at that rotation you have and see if I get the same error. Will post my results.
  4. Lantern Jild New Player

Ok, give it a try and let me know!

i even tried to Chomps/insp>pHC>cHC>cHC/pGH>cFAN/pHC...... and it didn't work either
  5. VictoryMC98 Dedicated Player

Last night I went back to my HL Toon, Looked at the Trolling guide, mocked it up after Delta build..

In a small sample ran 2 T1 Alerts.. and fell back in love with this power-set.

Now this is below my CR, as I should be running T3 Alerts, but didn't want to be a bad T3 vs a very good T1 alerts.

Delta, Yes I do tend to play only constructs.. with very little in regards to weapons. I loved before and still do the combos we can pull if you hit them right. I will say it took a bit for me to get used to how they slowed down the powerset, which for the first alert made my combos not as good as they once were.
  6. Delta795 New Player

Good to hear you are having fun! It took some getting used to again at first but the best thing IMO about HL trolling is you can go status quo style of controlling, construct only or more of a hybrid mixing both constructs and WM. I tend to lean towards the latter, because it suits me since I do change from HL / Quantum / Mental at least once per year.
  7. Rokyn Dedicated Player

I found the issue...you can't do the Handclap combo 2x or you won't get the power back mechanic..unfortunately the combo takes way too long so instead of going:

power Handclap>combo Handclap>combo Handclap/clip

Go like this:

power Handclap>combo Handclap/clip

Let me know how that works out for you.
  8. Lantern Jild New Player

Sadly, i tried with different combinations and none of them worked as intended.

PI>POWER 1>COMBO/POWER 2>COMBO/POWER 1 didn't work with any possible combination (ST, GH, HC, FAN, etc), i even tried to use the same power twice and it didn't give the power back., it only works if i add PI to the rotation.

Are you in PS or PC?, also, i would like to hear about other people's experience about this issue
  9. ACW37162 Loyal Player

Love hurts especially loving HL in this game
  10. xFearMe Active Player

I would just really like it if they gave inspiration an animations. Hl is lacking on the visually stunning component of the power in my opinion.
  11. xFearMe Active Player

12. xGrondax New Player

Hl DPS is disgusting to be honest lol----thats all i got to say
  13. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

Light is still functional for both roles. Whether it's adequate using just the AM to DPS with is still in the air. As for controlling, the PI stuff, single shield option and the counterable debuffs make it more difficult than the other 3. Not bad but more of a learning curve.

The power is still fun to play with. Whether that fun is competitive on the scoreboard depends on each player and what they find fun. If you like DPS'ing with WM heavily then the power can still be competitive and fun(in the right situation). In the future it will have a consecutive combo mechanic AM added helping that playstyle to be competitive when DPS'ing. Hopefully at the same time they'll adjust other abilities that should make controlling feel better and be better especially in PvP where the counterable debuffs will/are an issue.

That's not a definite answer but I can't say for certain that you'll like it no matter what they do. I enjoy it still and no weapon control most of the time. I enjoy using both the power return mechanic and WM when I DPS. I don't think the power return mechanic is ideal but it's better than nothing.... You should give it a shot when its finished if you liked it before then theirs a good chance you will again.

* Just wanted to add since I mentioned competitive a lot. Not all players are looking to be top dog or are judged that way. Most probably aren't. I myself could care less where I finish on the scoreboard. If I'm DPS'ing I am definitely not going to want a support role beat me and want to finish in the same range as similarly skilled players but that's not my main concern. I may have to get spears or grab cogs, do pick ups. We may be going for a certain feat that doesn't allow me to just go off. Competitive means something different to most players. I love the infinite combo mechanic and thats what I like about Light.

Competitive speaks more to damage potential comparisons. I think Light is good that way but not where it should be. And the funnest thing about it to me is combo'ing which doesn't have good damage potential right now. That will change in the future. When controlling I really enjoy using my combo's but that leave's me open to counters(especially in PvP). Try to find a balance with that stuff and hopefully we can get some changes to improve the little tweaks/complaints people have with the set still. Bottom line competitive doesn't matter unless it matters to you.
  14. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

I'd disagree and mainly want to speak to the PvP side of things as the counter vulnerability of our debuffs is now a much bigger issue post GU 41. Many saw this coming. Both of our defense debuffs are vulnerable to counter(so are Entrap and Light Weight). It's not something that is horrible or game breaking. It is something that the other controller powers do not have to deal with(And should be fixed). Coupling that with the fact that we have only 1 shield to their 2-3 ways to mitigate damage and Light controllers are at somewhat of a disadvantage. Then theirs the PI which is a much bigger issue for Light controllers than other classes that have 5 to 7 ways to apply their PI(including PoT's).

The power as a whole needs quite a bit of work. Its all small tweaks though. What I'm getting at is the power needs tweaks that will benefit both sides of use. Each side right now is not living up to its potential.
  15. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

I agree with everything your saying and have repeatedly said that the power return mechanic is not ideal. It's also not the only thing their planning on doing with Light and could have been left out. They chose to leave it in the GU but didn't really tweak it after deciding to start planning a combo chain AM.

The power return mechanic does kind of have a visual indicator in the Dazed animation. That animation will end once the enemies dies. But like I said its not ideal:oops:.

I'm hoping they'll finally wake up and adjust our counter issues. WT needs to no longer be vulnerable to block from the power tray. The Empowered Channeling HT mod no longer working in PvP should be reason enough to make Light Blast animation faster. Right now Light Controllers have no good Defense Debuff options. Like you I'll be hoping and waiting for the next update and trying to make the changes work the best I can in the mean time.
  16. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

Its the 2nd cHC. Basically in order to keep the mechanic going you have to clip aggressively and fast paced.
  17. Lantern Jild New Player

You are right doc, so basically this have to be power combo power combo power combo... always clippin de combo with a power...
    • Like x 1