Release the Krakken!...

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Jay Smeezy, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Jay Smeezy Dedicated Player

The new boss when they add one, should be this not even up for debate!:cool:
    • Like x 2
  2. Controller Devoted Player

You mean that HUGE thing that Aquaman had to fight in the movie to get his Gold Trident?

Yeah I'd love to see THAT in DCUO. It would EASILY be an open-world boss....maybe have it coming ashore in Metropolis.
    • Like x 1
  3. The Jeff Well-Known Player

The thing in the movie was called karathen. I think it's obviously based on the mythological krakken, but not quite the same. I think the other half of the karathen's concept was taken from Karcinos, a giant crab from Greek mythology that fought Heracles and was turned into the Cancer constellation. Krakken + Karcinos = Karathen.

As someone who is less than fond of Aquaman, despite him being retconned to aquatic Superman and Jason Mamoa's fantastic performance, I would love to see the karathen added in a completely wrecked Atlantis and fight it in the ruins.
    • Like x 1
  4. Jay Smeezy Dedicated Player

But nah, u probably too young to know what the original looked like from a 1980s movie called...clash of titans! Not that new 2000s one. The original claymation one!...lol
    • Like x 1
  5. The Jeff Well-Known Player

As a side note, one I find interesting, the kraken is so far the only mythological creature to be discovered and a real creature.

In Greek mythology, the kraken was just a giant squid. Giant squid have been in folklore for thousands of years, the Greeks just gave it he most famous name. Now, it's called architeuthis or mesonychoteuthis and is fairly well documented and observed in nature. Just last year, for the first time, one was documented off the coast of New Orleans showing a much greater range than originally thought.

What other horrors that sparked the imagination of our ancestors may lurk in the deep, cold, abyss... that alien world so hostile to those who dwell on the surface?
    • Like x 1
  6. Controller Devoted Player

LOL you haven't been paying attention to my "What are you listening to?" playlist here.

I definitely remember Clash of the Titans from the 80s...IMO it's the better one (no offense Sam Worthington).

Yeah I could definitely go for the turning-to-stone Krakken in DCUO. I can see it now.....dozens (if not hundreds) of DCUO players not turning around and away from him when The Krakken starts his gaze...and then a BUNCH of us turning to stone.
    • Like x 2
  7. Catastrophic Repercussion Dedicated Player

That boss already exists in DCUO and she's called "Medusa".
    Funny thing, the snake-tailed version of the gorgon also originated from CotT instead of the original myths!
    • Like x 1
  8. The Jeff Well-Known Player

Considering gorgon etymologically has it's roots in Sanskrit, I wonder if the snake body depiction of Medusa is connected to the naga from Indian mythology. It wouldn't be unusual for popular culture to concatenate two different mythological creatures with loosely connected roots.
  9. Jay Smeezy Dedicated Player

thought she was based off black Women and her locks were seen by Greeks and mistaken for snakes?:oops:
  10. The Jeff Well-Known Player

That's possible. I meant more of the snake body seen on many gorgons, including Medusa, that has become prevalent in popular culture. While it's not uncommon in ancient cultures for animal hybrids to be represented in their mythologies, to my knowledge the Naga were the first example of human-snake hybrids. The word gorgon is derived from Sanskrit word garg, which is why I personally think there is a connection between the serpentine features of gorgons and the naga.
  11. StealthBlue Loyal Player

While it's possible we get a new bounty down the line (I mean there is a nice open unused space at the north east of the map), I'm not sure how likely it would be at this point. Before the increased fight time for Hydra, there was a nice 5 minute spot it could drop in. Now it'd have to be a faster fight, or force phases to stop working on the current bosses (and spawn at any time). It's possible a new boss could sometimes replace one of the existing ones (like Synn and nth golem), but where would it go? They could have the new boss in phases that don't wake Hydra, but then you have groups working against each other.
  12. golddragon71 Dedicated Player

For the record the original scene where he yells it , he actually says...

ZEUS:
    My Lord Poseiden, I Command you to raise the wind and sea….
    DESTROY ARGOS! And to make sure that no stone stands…that no creature crawls….
    I Command you to let loose the last of the Titans……
    LET LOOSE THE KRAKEN!!!!
    The Kingdom of Acrisius, must be destroyed!

Later….Thetis has arranged for Andromeda to be sacrificed to the Kraken. Zeus didn't like her manipulations but even he has to abide by the laws the Gods have made regarding mortal sacrifices.... So he says it more quietly the second time.

Thetis:
    Great Zeus….Below on Earth, it is now the eve…of the longest day.
    Zeus: (resigned)
    Very Well…..Release the Kraken.
    • Like x 4
  13. Jay Smeezy Dedicated Player

big ol NERD! LMAO:D
  14. golddragon71 Dedicated Player

AND D@MNED PROUD OF IT FRIEND!!!!
    • Like x 1
  15. Jay Smeezy Dedicated Player

:)
  16. Controller Devoted Player

[IMG]

WOW I got my wires crossed earlier -

It was the MEDUSA head that turned The Krakken to stone. The Kraken itself did not have such an ability.
    • Like x 2
  17. The Jeff Well-Known Player

Don't mess with nerds. Without us, there is no internet. :)
    • Like x 1
  18. Jay Smeezy Dedicated Player

...im a network engineer! Trust me it barely gets any bigger as far as being a nerd!:D
  19. myandria Item Storage

Well, a new bounty could go in that "sanctuary" section where the waterfalls are and "nothing" happens...

Otherwise I agree with the OP; RELEASE THE KRAKEN! :D

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  20. Controller Devoted Player

This thread is pure gold lol.
    • Like x 2