re: leaguemate banned

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Apollonia, Mar 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Controller Devoted Player

I believe the OP.

Kudos to the OP and the league mates for sticking up for this person. Sounds like we need MORE people like them in the game.

I believe I've run across this player a few months ago...someone building up groups for bounties, leaves it, then continues to build more. Doesn't happen often enough.

I hope that with proper documentation there can be some resolution for this that can benefit the innocent person.
    • Like x 1
  2. Swifty Mugiwara Active Player

Adios

[IMG]
    • Like x 4
  3. Controller Devoted Player

Only thing here is that this is a GAME - not real life.

DC Universe Online is an escape from Real Life - it is fun entertainment for however many minutes or hours a person plays daily or weekly.
  4. Shalayah Committed Player

Personally I want the guy to get unbanned because that kinda situation sucks, but the other part of me thinks that if he gets unbanned, then there will be players saying “why not me?” and that’s not a situation anybody especially a dev team that’s already being pressured to ban speed hackers as they are now would want to be in.

Sucks that his nephew got him banned and I personally wouldn’t mind if the devs made this 1 exception as long as they took away every reward that was obtained via the speed hack then cool but if not. Then I’d understand why.
    • Like x 1
  5. Shark Dental Devoted Player

I'm sure the devs can access and check the logs to see who did what, on what dates and how long. It's hard to believe that someone "just visiting" can take someone else's max level character, download a hack specific to this game, group up with complete strangers, play a game mode that has only been out for a short time, perform the hack for enough hours to get them banned, etc. Story seems fishy. Unless the guildmates in question were in the group and voice chat with the nephew during the hack and heard that the person's voice was different than normal, of course.
    • Like x 5
  6. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

Haha a game that he can no longer play. If you ask me i think the whole league should be audited, if one is cheating theres a chance a few are.

It has to be embarrassing to be soo for mass bans and sweeping maneuvers, then have to log on and defend one of your own. Crazy because isnt this the work environment the op wanted?
    • Like x 1
  7. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

They're checking logs every 1-3 hours now.
    • Like x 2
  8. Controller Devoted Player

I simply believe that in this environment - as long as the OP's story adds up, logs are checked and investigated - then exceptions should be made.

I can see how this player's nephew - that he trusted - could've taken advantage of him. This does happen to people sometimes. Doesn't mean that Video Game Rules should be applied in a Draconian fashion like this - especially if everything adds up once logs are checked.
  9. Apollonia Dedicated Player

It's a little sad reading some of the replies but not entirely surprising.

The purpose of this thread is for our friends/league to post their support of our leaguemate in one place in the hopes that the Devs will take notice of this situation and review it more closely. We acknowledged what happened and his player logs will support the facts of what he told us. We don't expect the Devs to violate any privacy policies with us at all; they can collect information from us in a 1 sided manner. We're only asking the Devs to take the larger context of his play history into consideration -- they won't find any TOS violations.

We've been here since the beginning but we're essentially a casual league. We have some strong players in our group but we're not competitive in the larger community. We're mostly insular and rarely play outside our friend group to avoid some of the less endearing personalities populating the community. The avg age of our league is probably early to mid 40s. Half of our active league is a multi generational family actually. We're good enough to complete all endgame content but we're not playing to be the best or get any advantages over other players, or for any clout on YouTube or in our community. We play because we're friends, love the IP, and have fun doing it.

The kid didn't group with anyone and apparently played solo content only. No other players were impacted. It was just a dumb kid doing dumb kid stuff that could have happened to any of us letting our family play with our toys.

I understand some of you are skeptical, but I would hope your friends and leaguemates would step up for you if a similar situation happened. That's all we're doing here; not trying to convince anyone of anything. We're only showing our solidarity for our friend. You're all free to respond how you want, but don't expect a reply if it's not constructive.
    • Like x 2
  10. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

Oh so he was in solos learning the speed hacking but the system auto checker caught him before he made it to group content? Glorious! I hope they don’t delete this thread tomorrow and instead they just lock it. I promise i wont be letting this go after how you called me out a few weeks ago.

Looks to me the logs would show him preparing to speed hack either way get him gone. Alot goes into these speed glitches a whole software needs to be installed, even if it wasn’t the dude on the game theres no way to prove he didn’t have someone come over to teach him about this software.

Think i saw a green say something about how they “ nuke” cheaters. Just sad I couldn’t have his stuff

Gosh i hope this thread gets locked so i can xome back to it over and over again
    • Like x 1
  11. valiant Villian Well-Known Player

The account was banned. Not the player. Does not matter who had the controller in their hand. This guy's only recourse, if the story is true, is to take his nephew behind the wood shed.
    • Like x 3
  12. valiant Villian Well-Known Player

Have you considered he is trying to save face and reputation by feeding you a story? "It was my nephew. I swear.".....come on. Sounds like he was trying solo stuff so no one could capture a video of his hacking experiment.
    • Like x 2
  13. Rainnifer Committed Player

While I feel for the story, the timing of this and the "convenience" just seem too skeptical. This makes me think of when I would see in Trade chat players shout "#free<insert banned player>" I'm not saying you guys are like that but, this will ignite a chain of such behavior, players who were clearly guilty of taking advantage will be pleading for appeals on their bans with stories about how they've been "good" players up until that point and that it was just an "accident." or a misunderstanding. Overall this situation just isn't good and very unfortunate to happen. I feel like you should've kept this in PMs with them. But the end choice of what will happen is up to the devs, either way handling speedhackers and bans is clearly going to be way harder than it should be. I fear nothing is going to change in the end.
    • Like x 1
  14. AZPrime Active Player

You do realize that even in the case of such a scenario, it would lead to the same outcome as if the account owner did it themselves? Someone speedhacked on that account. That means they went through the process of downloading third-party software, installing it, and using it to exploit the game. When you sign the Terms of Service (ToS) for the game, it specifically mentions that such actions can and will lead to the termination of that account. It doesn't matter who was at the helm when it happened, the fault lies with whoever owns the account. In fact, the ToS also mentions that account sharing is a bannable offense, so this could fall under that perspective as well.

And to be frank, it doesn't matter what someone's circumstances are in real life when judging their online actions. Using their real-world accomplishments to pad others' perception of your leaguemate in a blatant attempt to justify their possible misbehavior in an online game is irrelevant to what happened.

If your friendship would fall apart simply because he can't play this game any more, you might want to reevaluate what "friendship" means to you.

Those two statements are contradictory. If all you really wanted was to get the devs attention to look into the matter, a few PMs and maybe some support tickets would've been satisfactory in doing so. It's pretty obvious you mainly made this a public thread to drum up support from the forum, but it didn't quite work out that way.
    • Like x 5
  15. thedemonocus Loyal Player

Maybe his league likes him so much because he speedhacks and gets the league stuff and now they don't have a speedhacker to carry them anymore so here comes the sob story because he got caught.
    • Like x 1
  16. Gassius_Spray Loyal Player

it'd be funny if the devs released the permabanned speed hackers on April 1st then turn around five to ten minutes later and permaban them again.
    • Like x 2
  17. Dene Devoted Player

It's Sad but he was completely careless for giving access to his account.. he is 100% responsible for all that happens on his account - case closed, in my opinion.
    • Like x 2
  18. Dominic Blue Dedicated Player

I dunno, a lot of people are chipping in saying a nephew playing sounds fake and others saying you shouldn't let others use your account but I've know lots of Leaguemates over the years that wanted their children, their sons and daughters to play DCUO, so why not their accounts they've paid for? I myself have let my nephew play my PlayStation and he sees that DCUO is one of my frequently played games so he plays it. Just saying...
  19. The VL Active Player

The amount of steps needed to speed hack is ridiculous and for a visiting nephew to do so over a visit is even more ridiculous.
    What seems more plausible is that the guy already had the speed hacks available somewhere and the kid activated them during his time on the game. Which would then lead to the question of why he even had them in the first place.
    Or the simpler alternative is that there is no nephew and he himself is guilty. Maybe he was just trying it for practice in a solo to avoid being recorded before getting to group content.. Given how rampant it is with SM being out, its too convenient.

But you probably already know how sketchy the story is, which is why so many supporters keep mentioning "Look at his track record and he hasn't violated anything else" because they also know how fishy the nephew story is. They already gave up on the nephew story because of how ludicrous it is. It's even less likely than your dog eating your homework. Nephew or not, its the same account and according to the ToS, it is a violation. That's all there is to it.

As for his track record or what a great player/helpful player he is? There's a lot of those, and plenty of them have gotten banned/permabanned for less despite having a flawless track record minus the one time they screwed up. Making an exception opens a can of worms for all the other times people have gotten banned or permabanned. We don't know, maybe they all had nephews.

Wanting to mentioning people having a screw up in life and wanting a second chance? For most people that have royal screw ups in life, there are no second chances. In real life there are no do-overs. Some great people screw up once and that's it. They have to face the consequences. There is no "I want my cake and I want to eat it too."

Its a video game for enjoyment? Yeah and? Its a game with clear cut rules. They were violated on his account. Its not the end of the world. Its unfortunate but it is what it is.
    If he really is your friend, go help him level a new account. Shouldn't be that much of a hassle if its a casual league.

All you can do is let the devs check the logs if they haven't already, see what conclusion they come to, and leave it be. If its a result less than desired, then go do what friends do.
    (^All constructive.)

(Something similar to this situation, below)
    [IMG]
    • Like x 7
  20. PHNTM Well-Known Player

Even if the story is true, unbanning said person can open the flood gates for previous and future speed hackers.

A lot of things are questionable and make me seriously doubt the legitimacy of the story.
    • Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.