Rating DPS powers

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Jaguars0408, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Xibo Loyal Player

Probably PcDl hits the same as Frost Blast does but Frost Blast can be easily interrupted. I don't know if that's the case of PcDl.
  2. recoil2 Dedicated Player

i don't really consider savage growth to be a melee ability mostly because it does damage over time and is barely active, it's just literally exploding plants in a single area. it's more like a ranged aoe ability that has zero range. which honestly was kind of my point, neither mental nor nature really has a burst damage ability unlike most of the other powers, at most you get a bunch of accumulative dots.
  3. Schimaera Devoted Player

Huh? I don't know if you ever played nature after the revamp but Savage Growth is a burst pbAoE (4 meters melee) that does increased damage on poisoned enemies. It hits for up to 40k crits (with PI) for me... I consider this a burst, wouldn't you too? There is no DoT anymore.

Also Roar is a burst. Though on parses it performs worse than just spamming voracious plants (also a low cost burst) and refreshing Harvest (which has a burst).

So I really don't get your point. Then again, judging by your description of Nature's powers I really do think you should go back to it or to the PCtest to try it again. Your assumptions don't really add up. And you probably haven't played nature in the last year...

Also: A ranged power with zero range? That's what a melee power is.
  4. recoil2 Dedicated Player

i've been maining nature since i came back, and i also played it in the months before revamp when one still needed bug form to actually heal decently. what i'm talking about is the damage over time mechanic that is involved in EVERY nature ability that isn't a heal. damage over time is great and all but it doesn't quite add up well, not like say electricity's arc lightning or hard light's light claws/chompers. roar and impaling thorns is a good combination but it roots the player in place and is vulnerable to interrupt meaning the strategy doesn't work on npc mobs or bosses immune to stun. it's not like we need 4 super charge forms and 2 super charge abilities as badly as we need some true melee abilities capable of doing burst (large) amounts of damage at once. i get that people don't want nature to be op and capable of both of it's roles, but considering powers like rage, hard light, water, electricity, sorcery, celestial, ice etc that can excel at both i honestly don't see the problem. as for your condescending tone, work on that a bit more, cause assumptions aren't useful. i simply pointed out that the dot (damage over time) mechanic is a little too over used in nature's abilities as are super charges. do we really need 7 of them?
  5. Schimaera Devoted Player

Well then you did not communicate your point clearly enough. However, I do disagree that Nature can't pull it's own weight. I am doing really good as a nature dps in normal and elite content. Adds do live longe enough for dots to work and the buff from the gorilla and wolf sc are decent to say the least. In fact I personally like the primal wolf form even more because you can use it so many times in a fight, it's not even funny.
    Then again, my point is that you should not use Roar at all. Just by parsing three dots, harvest and either roar or voracious plants, the latter performed better in a vacuum. Consider that in actual fights, dots are even more beneficial.

It is not the best performance there is (and why shouldn't it) but it is not bad. Comparing Nature to like all the other powers is also something that makes no sense. On top of it, comparing DoT effects of a DoT class to DoT effects on a burst class isn't the best thing to do either.

Lastly, I see no problem with roar and Impaling Thorns being interruptable. It's not like adds and bosses in raids lunge you all the time. I haven't encountered any content where I thought "man this one lunge i got cost me the majority of my damage". Also, Impaling Thorns isn't dependant of Poison effects. But honestly, why do you complain that a DoT Class relies on DoTs? If it was me, every power would have a burst/sustained spec and a DoT spec that is more difficult and stronger.

I just hope that the whole argument is about Nature required work to be okay instead of no work to be great...
  6. recoil2 Dedicated Player

don't misunderstand i do like the dot on some powers, briar into harvest is a literal life saver with small mobs, i just don't think we need it with every power and 7 super charges to boot. something like say dog form should probably be changed to a plain old summon i wouldn't even care if they left it a super charge as the extra damage from the 3 or 4 dogs summoned on a boss is well worth the cost at least on that particular super charge, i just find the rest of canine form under performing with low survivability, i usually go back to normal after prolonging the summons cause my heals in normal form somehow do better and keep me alive longer than canine form's. i'm not saying nature needs as complete over haul, if anything as it stands it just needs a power tweak here and there to make it really work to it's fullest potential. for example i stayed so long in son of krypton fighting xa-du with both of us healing and damaging each other till the system just kicked me out, then would have been a perfect time to be able to do more damage at once rather than over time when i didn't really have time before the sun lamps refueled his health/strength. lots of those type scenarios in end game.
  7. Schimaera Devoted Player

I don't know about the Xa Du fight...I usually defeat him in a matter of seconds.. I agree with the sentiment about SC though - or at least with some of them. You were in healer role? i take it because you wrote you both healed yourselves over and over again. If so, go dps ^^

I would leave the Insect, Wolf and Gorilla as they are. I really only use them for the buff duration before returning back to normal. I mainly use Primal Wolf and I wouldn't have it any other way. The normal form is for DoTs, spread and SC generation, the wolf one is all about refreshing dots and burst. Works really good.
  8. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

9. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

I don't know if anyone in these 8 pages caught your 7.8 for water but that was genius if you gave it 7.8 for the reason i think you did lol.
    • Like x 2
  10. recoil2 Dedicated Player

oh no, i usually keep a heal and a shield in dps as well, since i'm usually soloing or working with another person with poor dps in duos if i'm using dps. but i may have to start using wolf form if it's really the only way to get the most out of dot damage, at least unless of course they ever make canine form a plain super charge summons. i do hear alot of players swearing wolf/gorilla form does wonders for dpsing though, i just never used them due to personal character lore. but if it's absolutely necessary i guess there's no way around it.
  11. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

Too much water
    • Like x 1
  12. TITAN ephemeral Loyal Player

the old telekinetically hovering weapon attacking you
  13. recoil2 Dedicated Player

i'm surprised nobody thought of that or claws for nature. they fit the themes so well.
  14. DJX New Player

Ok so I have a question then. For the record I've been playing this game for a long time a veteran but not with powers. I played before they took away the old marks and converted it to new marks. To all you more seasoned veterans I'm more of a dps/tank/pve player and was wondering which power is good as of now in both those areas. I have 6 toons 2 tanks one atomic and one ice, and the rest are dps, rage, mental, quantum which was electric then respected to celestial then respected back to quantum, and munitions. Now my skill points are just slightly over 150 and with the whole stats revamp I'm thinking about respecting my ice and mental. Which dps power would be great for AOE, especially with my skill points I currently have. Side note I haven't touched fire since the new stat revamp or celestial nor tried water. Any advice is highly appreciated, thanks!!
  15. BLK Well-Known Player

How is rage that good in end game content?
  16. Xibo Loyal Player

Use Munitions.

Reasons: Chain Gun hits twice when use Burning PI and Railguns is the strongest ability in the game with 300 power cost.
  17. VictoryMC98 Dedicated Player

PHor what reason are you thinking?
  18. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

In 2003 IGN gave pokemon ruby and sapphire a 7.8. People were up in arms in why it didn't just get an 8. The review only had negatives being that the region was mostly water. So it kind of became a thing on the internet for people to say "7.8 , too much water" to mock the review.
    • Like x 2
  19. Schimaera Devoted Player

Can you elaborate why you think it shouldn't?

Basically, people rank it that high, because there is little to no chance that someone can out-dps a great melee rage player. Beserk is still one of if not the strongest melee supercharge there is.

However, in the grand scheme of things it's not the strongest in Elite content, because other powers surpass it on ranged damage. Not many though. Again, a great rage dps has no issues in ranged dpsing. Dreadful Blast hits like a truck and has a really low cooldown, on Single Target Heat Vision and Channel Hate do the rest.
  20. Schimaera Devoted Player

Well, tough question. Ice is probably the easiest good tank power, because of it's shields. Fire is the most challening. Rage and Earth are still really strong. Atomic is challenging too, since you are more focused on doing combos than countering bosses. But it has an eight-man-shield, so there is that.

As for the DPS side, I believe, Rage and Earth are number one, Imo after that comes atomic, then fire, then ice. Not saying that the latter are bad, just that if you compare only damage output of these powers, there's a clear winner and a clear fifth place :3

As for "good AoE" dps ... hmm ... I'd say they all are capable of it but something like Munitions is ahead of the others.

Regarding your skillpoints, I advise you to go and do some feats, getting to mid-200 is doable, visit the older content with some mates and to feats.