Rant+When will Remote Work be removed?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by zNot, Jun 11, 2024.

1. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

Yes, our management makes it a toxic work environment. Everybody stays on edge and mistakes aren’t tolerated.
    • Like x 1
  2. Aiden_Warren Well-Known Player

I take it that work from home seems more difficult for them as to what exactly that they can't take 5 mins to respond to emails and calls?
    What differs from working at the office and at home that makes it very different windows for them? I have but a low example that I of no experience to this but only what I observe.
    Shelters, Residential Programs, Mental Health Units of 30 days stay. Clients/Patients gets on computers and use instagram, facebook, youtube and watch useless videos that's not anything at all to help them improve their selves, literally hours and hours everyday of computer and social media addiction. Where they can look up educational and mental health resources, counseling, NAMI and MHMRA and Goodwill Career Centers, 90% of them does none of that. These outpatient programs and Goodwill Career Centers, OSHA-10 and NCCEP and Heat Pump Courses and literally get paid for classes and free transportation for ppl going through life struggles and even the homeless staying in shelters. They absolutely do nothing but walk the streets sitting at libraries.

So, not exactly an example but what exactly they doing that they don't respond to emails and calls, but surely they respond to friends on facebook and texts, right? because they are working from home.

As to my example of doing nothing for days and weeks and months and years where it takes just one day of looking for programs that does help ppl improve their lives! and make effort every few days of classes and courses, as to days and hours of working from home and don't respond?
    • Like x 1
  3. BumblingB I got better.

You do realize that the server, which is the primary reason why we are getting lag is server instability, is located in San Diego, California, right? Which means it's been remote for the 13 years the game has been alive. Bugs and problems with content are on the development team, yes, but I refer back to my post. New devs are still learning.

As far as lack of communication, that's at the discretion of the developers. Since Charon left, we were only getting Mepps as our source of communication. He was let go by corporate and there is a void. Do I think it should improve? Yes. Is it related to working from home? Oh my God, NO, why would you even ask that? I've seen this thing swing back and forth, working from home makes very little difference with communication.

No, that is what you just did in this thread. You are blaming everything on them working from home. Even what you say here:

What are you even talking about? Do you know what it takes to make a game? Do you know what it entails to learn a game by reverse engineering it AFTER the fact? It is absolutely crazy to blame a workflow system because YOU think it doesn't work. Game development doesn't require to be hands on everything and in an office. It's all done on a computer.

Dude, remote is productive. YOU think it's not. You've been talking about content problems WAY before the pandemic was even a thing. It's not working from home, don't make a ludicrous correlation because it matches your narrative.
    • Like x 7
  4. zNot Loyal Player

Another sugar coating comment,do not let your frustration of the game out on me youre either gonna suggest feedback on what could improve the game or stop getting triggered like a child over someone elses viewpoint about the game because YOU think so. Also forum lagging like crazy is that also spaghetti code fault? Oh i forgot the forum aint dcuo so how come it aint fixxxed?
  5. BumblingB I got better.

Oh? Dismissing my comment because YOU think I'm triggered? Got it! This thread is a farce, because everything I said goes against your narrative so you deemed it unnecessary.

Look everyone, my posts don't matter! Reason doesn't matter. zNot's viewpoint only matters!
    • Like x 5
  6. zNot Loyal Player

Oh look bumbling things hes opinion is worth so much more?? Wow!! How dare we to expect devs to be held accountable for the content they provide Oh my god! Snowflake alert wäääh
  7. BumblingB I got better.

How is working from home part of accountability? Seriously, you made a whole narrative that WFH is the reason why it's bad right now and are getting defensive and deflecting when people poke holes in your narrative.

And please keep calling me a snowflake, as they are pretty and no two are the same crystalline structure.
    • Like x 3
  8. zNot Loyal Player

What im saying is that working home could be the reason why the content and the game as a whole is the way it is frankly not everyone gets the same amount of work done remote (especially devs who may lack experience) as he would in a studio because theres no one directly checking on them as frequently to the extent like in a studio.

also you said new devs to which extend new? if you look at the requierements to work for dcuo they arent taking fresh out of nowhere devs they take already experienced devs that dont need to taught everything i get that if one needs a episode to get to know stuff but this stage cant go forever because thats how it feels like i remember previous lead designer said he was training 2 people i believe that was like few years ago? And still the content got worse how is that possible but someone who defends everything will always find a reason to defend the games current state the population numbers dont lie though :)
    • Like x 1
  9. BumblingB I got better.

Again, that's YOUR take and thoughts. Saying "could" is just your own belief being imposed on this.
    Could it? Well, it could be snow in the alps for all I know, but I know just as much as you do. Which is nothing. Blaming working from home is a silly narrative that was created. Productivity is related to the working interpersonal environment, NOT the workplace location.

As someone pointed about above, it sometimes fails, but so does working in a brick and mortar place too.

You do realize that they had two games being developed at the same time and when they cancelled the Marvel game and Jackster left, they absorbed the other game into DCUO. Those are new devs. They also hired some other ones. Job postings don't always go up only on the company's website.

Do I wish content would improve and we had better communication? Absolutely, but I'm not going to make a whole "rant" thread about how working from home is the culprit.
    • Like x 3
  10. zNot Loyal Player

Thats all that needs to be said, Wherever remote is a factor or not or to which extent it is upto the lead producer or whoever to decide.
  11. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

Update on the Work From Home rules at the company I work at, now the WFH people have to come in to the office every other day for duration of this important project.
  12. ArtemisWonderWoman7 Committed Player

Its all nice a good to blame working from home and you might have a point to a extent but your also forgetting that most of this new dev team might not be a work from the office hire. It's probably in their contract to work as a remote worker and I would be willing to bet some if not alot of the worker might not be in the same city or even the state. We are in the age of remote work and most employers have suffered mass exiting when trying to force in office because it would require them to relocate their families. Again they might be hires as remote workers and if so from a legal point they can't be asked to work in office if that's not in their contract.
  13. zNot Loyal Player

Thats forsure true, if they want to continue to remote longterm they need to get their productivity back to the amount thats reasonable or they just need to hire even more devs all remote just get the same work done previous teams did with less devs,currently their open positions are all 3 remote.
  14. Lugo Well-Known Player

If people really cared about quality they'd make sure workers were as comfortable and free as possible, not squeezed and worked to death by corporate airheads who don't know about or care about anything

The only problem with how the work is done is that they prioritize scamming their players with lazy DLC and loot boxes instead of prioritizing the gameplay experience and feel. That's a choice made to maximize profits and lower costs and has nothing to do with where people work. If the devs were in office, if they were on the gotdamn moon, they'd be ******** out loot boxes and lazy DLC still
    • Like x 6
  15. zNot Loyal Player

i can just guess how much of this is the fault of the „greedy decision making guy“ vs how much the devs can do to provide the best possible content/game/experience on their own will/part/effort thats where the fine line is i guess.
  16. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Quoting you in general, not specifically to this specific post.

You believe WFH is an issue just because you can’t be responsible enough to do so without slacking off. Many people have worked from home since before the pandemic and after. This isn’t an issue with WFH more than it is people who can’t do the job are doing it and making others doing it look bad. You have absolutely no clue whether the devs working from home are being productive or not. You made an assumption based on your biased beliefs and presented them as the core issue without any proof at all.

Like it or not there are tangible facts that can be followed and backed by real word situations. A bunch of devs had left the company and we do not know if they passed along all their info to those under them. It’s common for workflow to be interpreted due to key employees leaving. Many times a higher up will do things a certain way because it’s easier for them. So when they leave, if they didn’t show their method to those below than there is a learning curve. You say that they are not hiring fresh devs out of school. Yes you’re right, but just because they are not fresh out of school doesn’t mean that they know exactly how everything works in a new company. I’m every company you look for someone with experience. But it’s extremely unlikely that you’ll find someone that will already know every single detail in a new company. This is why companies have training periods for new employees even if they are experienced.

Then after some devs left due to a “situation” we also lost some other devs who had found a dream job (good for them). So then there is more hiring and more learning to due. Then there was a massive layoff (across multiple companies not just dcuo, yet people pretended it was a dcuo issue lol). So once again, more hiring and more learning,

Yes there are a lot of issues with the game right now. But to blame working from home? lol get real. You act as if they don’t care when they have already stated they do and have been working to get those issues fixed. Lack of communication? Yes it’s terrible too. Guess what. We had a community manager which the community would blame for anything wrong. This position has not been filled yet. Heck I wouldn’t want to take the position with the way this community behaves lol. Image someone gets interviewed they come to the forums and sees all of these entitled people whining lol. Probably running for the hills.
    • Like x 5
  17. Plowed In Loyal Player

So their 3 open positions are remote? That tells you all you need to know about how they feel about WFH.

[IMG]

Maybe it’s time you adjust your own expectations, rather than try to make the world around you change.
    • Like x 2
  18. zNot Loyal Player

Does your world spin around me or why does it trigger you that much

Edit: just because somebody in this case me gives their opinion on something it implies to you that the world spind around them ? thats a weird take
    • Like x 1
  19. Proxystar #Perception

No, that's on you to control your environment, it doesn't matter where you work, what matters is that you're working and productive and you can do that anywhere as long as you can continue to do your job and set proper rules in place to ensure that remains the case.

Working remotely doesn't make the worker unproductive, the workers lack of discipline makes the worker unproductive.

I've worked a mixture of remote and office work since prior to the pandemic, the pandemic thrust a lot of people in to that situation in a mandatory fashion, so they're struggling to adjust, which is fine, but once you do adjust the advantages of remote work, especially even if you're mixing it up are truly game-changing.

Some corporate overlords however, are still clinging on to this mentality that shackling their employees to their desks makes them more productive, as if they're rodents and not just goofing off on their phones at their desk anyway, it's completely stupid and short sighted and is an example of someone being completely out of touch with human reality.

If you want employees to be productive, then have productivity expectations, rate productivity, expect delivery on that productivity and then let the employee decide how they structure the delivery of those results and make their jobs exciting, when you have people wanting to work for you, they'll be more productive, not locking them in a cubicle and telling them they better not leave until their scheduled break and they should be thankful for the instant coffee.
    • Like x 10
  20. Plowed In Loyal Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 5