Rage Tanking as a Premium (non-subscriber) player?

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by 4thWall, Jan 20, 2021.

1. 4thWall New Player

Hi guys, just looking for some input before I spend the free CR290 Advance. I'm a Premium player that bought some content, including the DLC with Rage included, but I lack things like the Utility belt (I can only use Trinkets) and I can't install Mods because I lack the expansion for the bases, etc.

With those limitations, should I even try to make a Rage Tank? To break my line of thinking:

1st, is it even advisable for a non-subscriber to Tank for a Raid? I don't see many Tanks these days, because after 1 of the re-vamps they were no longer necessary, in fact not having a Tank gave a buff to the rest of the party iirc. Thus, unless I'm not sure if I would be a detriment to the party.

2nd, is it worth being a Rage Tank then? When the game went Free-to-Play, I was an Ice Tank. It was relatively straight-forward as long as my CR and the team Healer was decent. I just got the timing down with rotating Ice's defensive powers, there was a simple rhythm to it. Rage, I found, has a similar timing mechanic with Crash, which although is higher risk actually has an audible cue to it (the accelerating heartbeat).

Finally, let's say the above issues are fine, should I just stay away from Elite Raids? I generally don't do them. If the answer is that it's fine to Tank as a Premium player even as a Rage, just stay away from Elite instances, I might give this a try.

Thanks in advance. I remember when I used my last free CR Advance, I had to dedicate what to focus on, so I thought I'd ask now to decide. It's precisely because I don't seem to get Tanks in my queues that I'm both intrigued yet wary of doing it.
  2. Gundraasi Well-Known Player

Hello. My advice is to buy the "Gear Up" bundle. Scroll down to the bottom under Marketplace->Bundles. I am not sure but I think it is about 10$ or even cheaper and it is definetly worth it for a Premium player. You get access to the Utility belt, Mainframe features and even the Shield weapon.

Concerning our other questions:

1st, every raid I was in needed a tank so far unless everyone is OverPowered... The tank buff applies only in groups of 4 players as far as I know.

2nd, is it worth being a Rage Tank? I would say yes, if you are having fun with it...as with every other role too. Generally spoken Rage is a very good (if not one of the best...) tanking power, especially for mobs. I am not sure on Boss tanking though.

Greetings
    • Like x 1
  3. Red Wáve Well-Known Player

In Alerts, Open Worlds and Event Content the group gets a Roleless Buff for each missing Role- Extra defense without Tank, rapid healing when Blocking below 30% health without Heal and 10% extra Power Regen without Troll.

It possible to toggle "Role optional Alerts" in Settings, it's turned on by default iirc. If on, the q will pop once 4 players are Ready, regardless of Roles. If off you will need 1 assigned Troll, Tank, Heal and dps for the q to pop. I'm not aware of it being an option in Raids.

The only Raids you should be able to get into, without at least an assigned Tank, atm is Convergence of Unmaking Event, Speed Force Flux (not Elite) and Centennial Collapse.

I've always been subscriped, so I don't know if end-game is possible as Premium.

In normal, I'm usually just looking for people to pop the q, with me and League Mates or Friends being able to carry. Worst case scenario, I'll ask you to dps and I'll Tank on an Alt. In witch case the "Toggle Role" will suffice, just so your Taunts don't interfere with mine.

If I am making a Group for an Elite Raid you would get kicked as soon I realise you are Premium. No offence, but I'm not going to wait on you to sell Soders to Repair after a wipe.
    • Like x 1
  4. 4thWall New Player

Cool, thanks for setting me straight. I think I don't see Tanks in many Alerts, but I must've been mistaken about no Tanks in the normal Raids I play, though I reckon maybe people queue as Tanks then switch to DPS, just relying on high CR to plow through.

I'll also check out the Gear Up Bundle, but simply knowing Rage is a good option after accounting for the Crash mechanic, that's already good insight because I know that's an avenue I should explore. It's a case of "now I know where to look". Thanks, guys.
    • Like x 1
  5. Gundraasi Well-Known Player

You are very welcome!

Thank You for clarifying this, Red Wáve!