[R&D] Research and Development: Exobits, modifications and more!

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by LadyLightning, Jul 22, 2014.

1. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

Research and Development: Exobits, modifications and more
    These shiny rainbow-coloured Exobits, which can be found in Gotham and Metropolis are something you get to know quite early in the game. But what are they for? These are for R&D!

[IMG] [IMG] An exobit

Crafting is very easy in DCUO:

1. You can find plans everywhere, some can only be boughtt. Plans are simply used with a right-click and then you have learned them.

2. At the R&D station you can see the plans you learned and create them, but only if you have all ingredients.

Crafted items
    These can divided into different types and each have a different purpose.

[IMG] Exobytes
    These are crafted with 8 exobits. You receive these at a certain level with a mission in the headquarter.

Modifications
    These can be placed into the colored sockets of the gear and increase its statistics and item level. Abreviation: “mods”

[IMG] Colas
    The Soder Cola Extreme from vendors can be enhanced with R&D. Enhanced colas give more health and power. There are also so called "Exo-Colas" (this is the name we players gave them), which increase a certain value (eg. Might) for 30 minutes or until you get knocked out, but these colas require exobytes as an ingredient.

[IMG] Consumables
    There are many different ones and they require specific ingredients (see bottom). These consumables exist in the levels I to VI.

[IMG] Recovery kits
    These kits enable you to recover exobytes from gear or mods in the "recoverys"-tab of the R&D station Exobytes from modifications or gear. Alpha-recovery kits for alpha and beta modifications can be bought at the R&D vendor.
    The plans for recovery kits II-VI can be bought at the R&D plan vendor, but those are expensive.
    The best recovery kits that drop ingame are the exceptional recovery kits, which drop from PvP victories or T5/T6 alerts and raids. For a complete recovery of all exobytes you need to buy kits from the marketplace.

The "Salvage"-Tab
    Here you can salvage gear you don't need to get simple and complex material. What you actually will get is random, but depends on the quality of the items. Blue and pink items usually give something usable, while green items usually turn into "garbage". The item level is also defines what you can get, which is why items with an item level below 30 are better sold than salvaged. In rare cases you get focusing elements or in extremely rare cases an exobyte.

ingredients
    Which ingredients you need can only be seen at the R&D station.

[IMG] Focusing elements
    The focusing elements exist in the levels I to VI and one is required for the matching modification. (e.g. a focusing element V for a mod V). They drop from bosses or come from salvaging gear.

[IMG] Interfaces
    Can only be bought from the R&D vendor and most require legendary acccess level or an escrow purchase. They exist as alpha, beta and I to VI. They are required for modifications of that level.

[IMG] Simple and Complex materials
    Please go to The "Salvage"-Tab

[IMG] Soder-Cola Enhancers
    These are required for the colas I mentioned above and they exist in the level I to VI. They can only be bought from the R&D vendor and level V to VI require legendary access or and escrow purchase.

[IMG] Catalysts
    These are required to create consumables or to transmute exobits. They exist in the levels I to VI. Level IV or higher require legendary access or an escrow purchase.

[IMG] Other R&D components
    Almost everywhere in DCUO NPCs drop additional ingredients, which vary a lot. Here some examples:
    Silicon wafer enchanted beast horn, Overcharged matter, Branaic-Diode...
    These are used to craft consumables.
    • Like x 2
  2. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

Reserved, just in case the devs intend to expand R&D even more :rolleyes:.
  3. DRex365 New Player

I am unable to move the mod from my inventory to the color coordinating socket. Am I missing something? PS3 user if that matters. I did read through your R&D Guide however, I was unable to find a solution there.

I have in my inventory:
    Might Alpha -- Red Equip. Mod. "Place in equipment socket to... "
    Restoration & Power Beta -- Yellow "Place in equipment socket to... "

Any help would be much appreciated.
  4. Ghaladh Dedicated Player

Do you know something about Speed exos? Those are white exobits you can find in Central City. Sorry for resurrecting a necro thread but i feel it's still actual.
  5. speedster1981 Committed Player

the super speed exos are used for sodas mainly unless things have changed since I last farmed them
  6. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

Never hesitate to comment in my guides - it helps to keep them updated :).
    • Like x 1