PVP Questions...

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by Please Stop Me, May 21, 2017.

1. Please Stop Me Well-Known Player

So I looked over a few other posts where there were players asking some of the same questions I have. So anyway here's what I got:

1. I don't have any PVP gear and so far I have done two PVP 2v2 matches. I did some fighting in the PVP phase and dominated. One out of the two PVP matches was also just pure domination on my part. However, I finally got a free moment to try to start this grind. It is 2v2 and one guy is only showing as a level 30. However, nothing I did damaged him at all and the same goes for my partner. There were a few points where my partner and him were brawling and I butchered his partner so badly that they quit the match. But the main guy continued to destroy me anyway. Not just destroy but I literally could shoot him in the back with an entire cycle of my LO and his health moved none (This is also while him and my partner were fighting). There were several points where it was 2v1 and he absolutely couldn't move because he was taking so many hits. Yet no impact on his health. I have no clue what power he used because I never seen him use any powers. He just used melee attacks.

The reason I mention the above is because I am just guessing that he is using PVP gear as opposed to PVE gear. As stated above I have no gear at all. I know where to buy the 97 gear or whatever starting out gear is, but I only have 400 marks of valor right now. My question is would it be better to go buy the level 28 or whatever PVP gear as opposed to going in entirely PVE gear?

2. I know that I will need another armory to create a PVP build. I use munitions which seemed to do fine everywhere but the second match mentioned above. After the beatdown I took I did invest into a soder infinite since the replacement partner was a rage and the one time I was able to almost get him dead he just popped a soder. Beyond that I have read that crit is capped out in PVP so how should I invest my SP? I assume precision since I see a lot of melee fighting.

3. I will have to further test this when I get time. However, I realized that my AM was not working in the second fight (Code named: The Beatdown). I assumed that maybe AM's were disabled in PVP until I went to do a raid and saw that it was glitched out. I found a fix by switching builds but I still have not confirmed if it does or does not work within PVP. I use Munitions and I use 1h as the weapon. I usually swap 50 cal for chain gun and robot sidekick for a supercharge. I just wanted to see if there was a specific LO that I should be using for actual PVP matches?
  2. Doom Patroller Active Player

Hi.
    1.- Without any specific info, I'll theorize - Aside from a few tank powers (which seem to be taking no damage, but actually are healing as much damage as it is being inflicted as soon as it is occurring), the only (legit) way to sustain no damage for prolonged periods of time under fire is by farming immunities. This 'farming' is merely the act of countering your opponent's actions by a) Interrupting Blockbreaker or sustained range attacks, b) Blocking interrupting attacks or c) Blockbreaking (you guessed it!) blocking enemies. Any of the aforementioned actions will grant you a brief period of invulnerability to damage, control effects and even to counters like the ones I just listed. You say you're new to PVP, so maybe you're not taking this in account, and it is a really big chunk of PVP, so there's that.

2.- This (unsurprinsingly) depends on your role and power, but I get the impression you're asking about damage role and it seems you are munitions (if I'm not mistaken), so as a rule of thumb, I would go for criticals (chance and magnitude), health, prec, might, power, and then probably enable WM . I like weapon mastery in some weapons because it's a mean to get morevariety out of your weapon combos, (ideally) enabling you to branch into more complex combinations of attacks to help you farm immunities. Of course this is just my opinion, I PVP with 240+ sp toons, and 50- sp toons, and I notice my stats are not as important as my experience playing, so I would advice you to worry less (althought not neglecting, by any means) about stats, and go out there to get a hang on the counter system & your power. You see melee because it's an integral part of the counter system, and it costs no power (scarce resource in PVP).

3.- AMs are non functional in PVP, including the power regeneration mechanics. Loadouts are, thus, essentially different from PVE ones. Won't give you a loadout, since figuring out one accord to your playstyle is paramount to the experience (in my opinion, it's half the fun), but it's always good to have some buff, taking into account power interactions and shields (or other damage mitigation means), as well as other powers that allow for better mobility--- Finishers (AKA 35s) are benchmarks of current PVP, so never forget to get those!

PD: I hate to write, but you made me do it. I'm angry right now, looking at this post.
    • Like x 1
  3. Please Stop Me Well-Known Player

Yeah I did a few matches last night and figured out most of what you mentioned here. I noticed that the AM did not work, and that tanks are the ultimate cheesy class. Especially the Earth ones with their little pet. It seemed that my pet (Robot sidekick) was not working, but I am at the disadvantage of not having a PVP exclusive build right now. So I would end up in battle without the Soder Inifnite equipped, and with 2-3 powers that did not work. I will probably invest into the armory within the next few days once I actually am able to get a piece of PVP gear. I am hoping someone answers the more important questions I had related to the gear.
  4. loupblanc Dedicated Player

Bring up Social Menu, then nearby, then inspect the gear of the opponent.

In certain maps eg Inner Sanctum, Star Labs, you can inspect the opponent's gear as both team spawn points are nearby, before the match starts. That lets you know a general idea of who has less gear, who has max gear, who to target etc. Never assume an under-30 character is a noob. There is the slight possibility the opponent could be using an alt to get a laugh, and if that alt is Celestial or Hard Light, they can be a pain.

Entering Arenas with PvE gear only grants you CR96 Pvp level, the minimum. Max Pvp level is CR101. It is possible to win CR100 or CR101 in a 1v1, but you need to be near perfect on your countering (block, blockbreak, interrupt) and damage mitigation techniques.

Ignore CR96 gear. You only need the Pvp soda and a Pvp trinket (get the CR97 one) as a starter. Start out by buying CR97 Pvp level gear. You gain access to CR98 gear once you have a full set of CR97 gear (8 gear items, weapon, neck, 2 rings, trinket). You can choose to get the Pvp Prefab mods as you gear up or get them only when you reach the upper levels eg 99/100/101.

Armories are necessary for competitive Pvp.

But set up properly, the one free armory with 3 spare Power Point and 10 spare Skill Points can allow you to perform both PvE DPS/Support and PvP DPS/Support. Some powersets are more forgiving, some less so. No rush to buy the armory packs now. You can wait for a sale. Or you can buy the packs if money is not an issue.

Can't instant recall the capped crit numbers. Google for that info or search on this forum.

I do not have access to Munitions. But seen enough to know that Pump Action Shotgun(Vulnerable to Block), Splosion, Killer Instinct (Damage buff) and Small Package (35% finisher) are used. Plus a damage mitigation shielding move. Don't see much usage of a Munitions Supercharge move.

In Pvp, for all powersets, MA and HB are the most widely used, then 1H and Shield. Rifle used to be more common.

- Single target damage moves are better. Less damage splitting. Pvp in group fights is about focus fire on the weakest opponent.
    - At least one damage mitigation move (usable while controlled) is used. People using Ice sometimes use 2, as Frost Snipe spamming is common, since Frost Snipe is a very good Single target damage move at cheap power cost.
    - Pvp is about opponent reading and execution of counters and burst combos. You need situational awareness also. Where are healing barrels, opponent holding node unopposed and scoring free points. Knowledge of other powersets helps you anticipate moves better.
    - Also power management, knowing what to do when 1v1 turns to 1v2. How to focus fire on 2v1.
    - Learn all that in Legends Pvp then go do Arena Pvp.
    • Like x 1
  5. stärnbock Devoted Player

Also don't forget that powers give dammage modifiers in pvp (because you can't use the max dammage handmod there)
    • Like x 2
  6. Please Stop Me Well-Known Player

Appreciate it. So I should just stick with the PVE gear that I have and buy 97 gear when I can instead of hunting down the low rank PVP gear is what it sounds like. I have already got a good start just from random matches here and there. I may buy the other armory soon just so I can try to make my life easier. It is a pain when a queue does finally pop, and I have to try to make all the adjustments within the match. So far I have had a 50-50 luck with PVP. Half the time I do great and the other half is terrible. I just remembered the wise words "Get ready to take a beating" for the first little bit.
  7. stärnbock Devoted Player

i guess the low gear you can get for cash only? guess it is the head, shoulders, a weapon, rings... well, sinse pve gear is deactivated in pvp instances and since you need marks to buy those anyways, i guess that you can buy the low cr gear (its better than nothing, and nothing is pve gear aswell) for the start. i did so aswell, dunno if it is helping, but if not, well, at least it doesn't hurt to have it. untill you got enough marks for the 97 gear that is...
    • Like x 1
  8. stärnbock Devoted Player

they may have some unique styles, so they could help you with some style feats. i think theyr item level for pvp was 28 or was it?
    as said, since you can buy them with the normal ingame curency, i see no reason why not buy them for the start ^^
    • Like x 1
  9. loupblanc Dedicated Player

- Other Notes
    - Unlike Arena Pvp, in Legends Pvp, AOE damage moves are good to use, instead of focusing solely on single target.
    - Turn on Combat log. Helps to see opponent moves and damage if you cannot catch what is happening on-screen. Delete combat log after each gaming session to prevent space wastage.
    - Record your gameplay. Delete unnecessary recordings to prevent space wastage.
    - Try to find a way to gauge your game ping to DCUO.

PC User here. Above still applies for PS players.