PVP phase

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Drathmor, Dec 1, 2021.

1. Drathmor Unwavering Player

Before I start no this is not a PVP needs work thread.

for many years of this games life 90% of all villain's lived in the PVP phase all the time.

many heroes did also but not near as many.

NOW its a ghost town. there is a whole server that is running or a section of a virtual server running the pvp phase. I recently moved back in and you can literally go anywhere in the games content and have the whole place to your selves.

I've seen 3 people in 4 days the only place there are other players is House of legends which as it should puts you with everyone else

what initially killed this phase was when the Dev's started making joint zones for new content so it became unplayable to complete the current outside content. but THE WHOLE GAME IS STILL THERE!

does anyone have any ideas how we can get more people to go back there?

there was just something great about running around in open world and just having random encounters with other players that I deeply miss about this game.

PVP used to be my favorite part of DC since that's been killed like old yeller can we at least get the zones back to populated in some fashion..

the dev's could create encounters or special events that could draw population back if they wished and hopefully it might breath life back into the zone

Just a thought from a old fan of the phase it is SORELY MISSED!!!
    • Like x 5
  2. Mentaldope40 Dedicated Player

I asked this question to myself every time I log on in forums or in game, I have no idea why PvP phase is a ghost town, but I think people are followers and just want to be where the most population is, this is why you see everyone dueling in PvE phase near the phase shifters, If I had an incentive for players to go back to PvP phase, it would be to get cash when you kill a player, and I am talking a grand per kill, imo that should be enough for players who want to make some quick in game cash, is to hop over to PvP phase and get some kills, then the most player who wins the ring war or diamond hiest becomes a bounty, which triples the pay amount.
    • Like x 3
  3. Wallachia Devoted Player

Well, most people don't even know how to switch phases anyways.

On another note, the existence of a Drathmor implies that there is a Drathles.

Yes, I went there.
    • Like x 1
  4. Mentaldope40 Dedicated Player

Bumping for the movie "Little Rascals" that movie embraced PvP. Loved it
    • Like x 1
  5. Trykz Dedicated Player

I hate pvp, even so, there was some fun to be had doing the metro and Gotham pvp dailies, or as you said randomly coming across that lvl2 toon who has his flag on, gank him, just to have 20 of his smelly villain friends show up lmao. Yea I wish they’d do something to bring action back to open world.
    • Like x 3
  6. Lovora Liaht Well-Known Player

OK, this right here.
    THIS.
    RIGHT.
    HERE.
    I LOVE THIS IDEA!!!

If I can get tons of cash by KO'ing players in PVP phase. I'll gladly walk myself back through the Phase Shifter.

Higher geared players should drop more cash. The amount of Skill Points your target has should also decide how much cash you receive as well.
    Lower geared players / low Skill Point players should reward MUCH LESS cash.
    • Like x 1
  7. Celestial Demon Dedicated Player

I could get behind this as it selectively punishes "puppy kickers" who think that they can make a day just offing new/low rating players. Especially if they're still going through the 1-30 story.

I won't lie and say that I haven't had some fun back in the day of acting like a mobile bounty in lower areas (walking around Metropolis Hospital, but not attacking unless I was attacked first, hanging out with The Judge and his specters, defending lower level players around Bane's Lighthouse and Burnley Nightclub because of Circe's Teen Titans mission around it), but doing it for fun and doing it to think you can cash in at the end of the day are 2 very different extremes that should be handled appropriately.

I would consider adding in that there should be a level limit to prevent loopholes being excised as well. If you're level 30 but trying to hunt lv 29s for example, your gear score has to come into play as well to prevent say a 1-3 level difference of lv 30/GS 330s from picking on lv 29-30/GS <100.
    • Like x 1
  8. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

This thread belongs in the PVP section. Thank you. :)
  9. Proxystar #Perception

The same PVP balance issues killing arena's are the same issues killing open world, it's no fun coming across immortal healers and tanks. ;)
    • Like x 2
  10. Mentaldope40 Dedicated Player

I agree lol, like the higher the Cr the more you make, great idea+1

It's dead in pvp phase but I still try to bring other players over lol.
  11. Cyclonic Dedicated Player

The game has just changed too radically since then. The sort of loadout/rotation/weapon attacks that you would use for PvE whether you're might or precision just isn't practical for open world PvP any more. It was a simpler time and back then it worked, but now? Not so much.
  12. the solowing Steadfast Player

Nobody like a unfair fight, but PvP is inherently unfair. Usually the fight goes in the aggressors favor.

Gotta be willing to get stomped repeatedly until you get the skill and gear to do the stomping yourself.
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  13. Proxystar #Perception

except you're literally never stomping a decent healer or tank, certainly not 1v1
  14. the solowing Steadfast Player

True, at one point they said pvp was balanced around 3v3 or 4v4?
  15. Celestial Demon Dedicated Player

I thought pvp was balanced on some inherent rock, paper, scissors of tank beats control beats heal beats tank, with damage just kinda there?
    • Like x 1
  16. the solowing Steadfast Player

That too xD, until the role debuff came in and threw that all out the widow, and DPS reined supreme lol
    • Like x 1
  17. Doctor Nova Devoted Player

"tPvP" "tbuild" "tdsbefore" "tmore" "tpowers" found on https://www.dcuniverseonline.com/update-notes/dcuo-game-update-56

typos on ye old update 56 page about PvP.... hehhehhehhehheh. 2016 update 56 back when weapon mastery was a thing. :p

Found that while trying to read past PvP updates, looking for the most recent one.... was it 2016 as the most recent PvP update? There must have been one since then, removing weapon mastery.

....https://www.dcuniverseonline.com/update-notes/dcuo-game-update-73

Most players are not aware of the Map/Warp to Rally, much less Map/show list of available phases (which includes PvP if one is present in that instance). There are LOTS of instances. Yeah, LOTS that have no idea what the phase shifter is. Back in the beginning, some players would get PvP gear for their rank 30 character and grief (repeatedly KO) new characters at rank 1 or more in Gotham or Metropolis who were just trying to rank up. If the new character made it known, they were being griefed in /Shout, I'd suggest they go use the phase shifter to enter PvE phase. /shrug. Different times. Same available phases.

Remember they had to make the doorways in police stations and clubs wider because players would block in a random character in a hallway to see them freak out just from being impeded from moving? that was a thing. Warp to Rally was available then, still had a cooldown like it does today.
  18. Lovora Liaht Well-Known Player

We should make a thread for this idea. Actually, I'll make one in Gotham City General Discussion. LOL!
    Maybe we can get this added to the game at some point? XD
    I like the idea of open world PvP rewarding cash drops.
  19. AGGUSTEN Well-Known Player

For me the Quickest and Simplest solution, which I mentioned once, is to allow pvp phase change, like the other phases, literally, If I am in Metropolis condemned, I can see as 10 active phases and the only empty one is PvP and Lol. It does not let me enter there, having to go to the portal, change to PvP, and then want to return to the other phase and have to repeat the process, the PVP does not do anything pleasant... I don't know why when I said it I heard comments fools who would not want this, it seems silly not wanting to revive the PVP and do something more useful...

I also find it juicy and interesting to fight against other people (many) and not so much with the computer ... in the open world
    • Like x 1
  20. BumblingB I got better.

• PvP is very disproportionately broken that it pushes away players. Open world was always worse, because all those stipulations for Arenas that attempted to balance them is out the window. You can use PvE gear, trinkets, artifacts, etc. Not fun trying to do anything and being ganked by the opposing faction.
    • This game found money in PvE and focused on making it. This included new zones with new objectives that were strictly PvE. Heck, outside of Diamond Heist and Ring War, everything in the classic game open world was PvE focus. So it is safe to say, PvP was addition to, even from the start. Yes, at launch, before phase shifters, there were servers that were strictly PvP and were probably popular too, but the game does need to make money.
    Unless they can monetize PvP w/o making it a load of pay to win, PvP and PvP phase will always be second to PvE.
    I don't mind if they work on PvP to fix it, I will mind if we get a year of Save the Universe to get it fixed.
    • Like x 1