PS4 Features that DCUO Uses Over PS3

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Superskull85, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Superskull85 Devoted Player

Yes that is true and what I meant with the error reporting. Also restarting the game can literally be done in under a minute. On the PS3 I could get a glass of water and still have it load but I can't do that on the PS4. When I am back it is waiting for me to select a character. In the short term though if you do crash DCUO doesn't read your chat settings on relog as well. I am sure that will get fixed in due time though.
    • Like x 1
  2. Superskull85 Devoted Player

I do that. Not as awkward as you think if you have wireless equipment. :)
  3. surge914 New Player

Not to mention the game doesn't take long to start up, everything renders very quickly, when you close the vendor screen they don't reopen by themselves, typing in chat is way better. Raids like vengeance and dawn aren't that bad anymore(well I haven't frozen so so far it's not that bad.) I don't think I could play DCUO on PS3 anymore. It may sound bad saying this but I can't wait until everyones on PS4 so it won't be limited by the PS3.
    • Like x 3
  4. Superskull85 Devoted Player

Those were givens, but I do agree. Once I can see members in my group list I don't think I will be use PS3 ever again.
    • Like x 2
  5. BumblingB I got better.

I was going to post an "Oh My" Takei meme, but I will refrain.

I play on my bed with a laptop. It's actually not that awkward. A laptray with a cushion and a mouse pad. All works great. :)
    • Like x 2
  6. Sore Steadfast Player

I can see that. It just would feel very awkward on a couch with a tray in my lap. I'll sacrifice some numbers to continue to beat content I'm already beating and have a convenient experience. If I could get another 100k on the board by wearing a helmet, I'd probably still pass. Even at a desk, I've always found hunching over a keyboard and mouse for too long to be uncomfortable. But i think that's a preference thing.
    • Like x 2
  7. Starblast Well-Known Player

I don't think it's so much that there is a debate on whether or not people will switch from ps3 to ps4. I'm sure it will no doubt play better and run better but right now there really isn't much on the ps4 game-wise that makes me want to run right out and spend 400+ dollars. I'm glad it is on the PS4 cuz that means obviously the game will move forward into the future and I definitely plan on getting it at some point and I think if people have the disposable income then they should consider cuz I'm sure the dev team is working overtime making sure it runs smoothly.

I'm really surprised that Sony and Microsoft didn't try to get game developers to make a lot of games just released and upcoming games on their next gen consoles. It still seems like all the best games that are coming out now and in the next few months are all on the current gen systems. Arkham Origins, Final Fantasy X HD, Kingdom Hearts HD, Final Fantasy Lightning Returns. You would think they woulda just went ahead and had them code them for the PS4 to help generate sales. It seems like all the best games and features for the next gen systems I can already play or do on what I already have. I guess that's why I'm not super excited about the next gen systems yet. I really hope that with DCUO and FFXIV being on consoles motivates more MMOs to jump on board. I know people say games like WOW or Star Wars old republic wouldn't work on consoles but I'd probably be more inclined to try them if they were on one of these next gen systems.
    • Like x 1
  8. Superskull85 Devoted Player

The thing is though SOE is still supporting the PS3 client and will continue to do so. So DCUO will not get any new and exciting features or content now compared to before because of it. This means certain DC characters including shapshifters will probably not be implemented in DCUO in its current form. That is the reason I have posted this.

Some people may only want to play on the PS3 and not consider the PS4 because they don't need it if they are patient enough to deal with problems (like me and anyone else that had stuck with the PS3 client for an extended period of time). By showing them other advantages gives them more of a reason to switch if not just for the other features and not just because of graphics or load times.
  9. Wilder Midnight New Player

i don't need to be convinced. i'm just not quite ready to give up my other vices and conveniences yet to start the process of fitting it into my budget. as much as i love the game its going to pretty much be the only reason i am going to buy a ps4 and one of the primary reasons i've immersed myself into the game is its pretty much the cheapest way to keep myself entertained. i'm going to try to orchestrate things that i have one up and running by the time we're ready to go to mogo.

and i will say that now that the dust is settling game update is starting to get a thumbs up from me. performance doesn't seem to be better or worse but different. still have to deal with lag and loading times but overall the game really does look a lot better to me so thats still a bonus for us ps3'ers.

soon...

*of course two minutes after i post thing i proceed to experience the worst lag i've ever had in game...
  10. BumblingB I got better.

I'd show you my position I play in, but no one would want to see that. I have played laying down with a controller, my problem is my fingers. I can't let go of the bumpers and wrap my head around it. If I started with a controller, I would probably be better, but I didn't.

On the other hand, the mouse though. Mouse is WAY better than the analog sticks.
  11. Starblast Well-Known Player

sorry. it won't let me quote...anyway..

why is still supporting the ps3 client still bad? there are still more ps3 players and will be for probably a long while. the ps4 just came out yesterday. and really playing on the ps4 does not necessarily make them more money so if they don't have the money to develop these new and exciting features then it won't happen anyway.
  12. Sore Steadfast Player

I get the speed of being able to clip powers, specifically if you're using phase dodge. Otherwise, the difference is fairly marginal. If you position your buttons correctly on a PSN controller, you can roll your thumb across a rotation in a single gesture.

I don't understand the comments people say about the mouse for camera movement. On the PSN, I'm pretty much ALWAYS holding L1 down to lock target even before I come into a skirmish. Hitting left and right on the d-pad to change targets is fluent enough. Camera positioning is pretty much irrelevant unless we're talking about running races. Maybe in large group PvP where someone can come up behind you but a zoomed out camera (barring the zoom-in glitches) seems to take care of that. During a fight, my camera movements are minor adjustments or not at all.
  13. Superskull85 Devoted Player

Some content like shapeshifters they could do on the PC and PS4 platforms now. Other characters like Giganta could be bigger right now on PC and PS4 as well, and fit their lore more, but can't because of the PS3. That is why the PS3 is a limiting factor. Is it a bad thing? In terms of content yes but like I said I realize that this won't happen because they want to honor the PS3 client as well (which is good for players).
    • Like x 1
  14. Superskull85 Devoted Player

I can and have been controlling my camera with the edge of the stick so that I am never more then a half centimeter away from my buttons. I also almost never use the tip of my right thump to push the X button. I always have at least 2 buttons immediately accessible (usually melee and jump or ranged and jump).

Don't get me wrong BumblingB I do like the PC controls too and which is why keyboard support excites but a seasoned controller player is as second class to a keyboard and mouse player. If the range for attacking was greater than it is camera issues would be prevalent and if you had to push attack and jump at the same time I could see the advantage of a keyboard and mouse but you don't need to for clipping.

This is why I said I can do clips now and implied I wouldn't improve with a keyboard and mouse. I do want it to happen though on the PS4. SOE are you listening? Will you support mice on the PS4? ;)
  15. Superskull85 Devoted Player

Another feature I should expand upon is the error feature. Under Settings -> System -> Error History you can see every single error message that has occurred on your PS4 by application. So in case you cannot report an error at the time of occurrence because you need to get in the game immediately you can look up the error there later. Now these are PS4 errors and not necessarily DCUO errors but it may help SOE to know this information. Having it saved helps report it when you have more time.

Then of course there is the share feature that can record a gameplay bug for later. Currently you can only share to Facebook but you should be able to download the video there. The quality may be less compared to the original but should be sufficient. You can also save the capture and then record it with your capture device later (using an HDMI to DVI and Optical converter, look it up) as well. I know for me I don't record everything and I may miss the window for recording bugs.

Screenshots are accessible in the same way. The in-game screenshot feature is gone in favor of the share feature.
  16. KCTAMU92PC122010 New Player

I thought I was the only one that played that way. Very comfortable. And yes, pictures would not be prudent.
    • Like x 1
  17. M1 Garand Well-Known Player

Powers and movement on a keyboard? So, any macros playing keyboard is very welcome on a heavy combo dependent game?
    This is not good at all, if you ask me.
  18. Superskull85 Devoted Player

To be frank PlayStation players can already use hardware remapping and actual macro-enabled controllers now. Adding a keyboard doesn't change their ability to do this at all. Macros are not illegal in DCUO as long as they don't add something unintended to the game.

If you use an Xbox controller on your PS3, for example, you are using a macro to redirect inputs. The Cronus is a good example of this.

It is only the people that use macros to add unintended side effects to DCUO that is the problem. There are legitimate uses of macros and any PlayStation player has the ability to use them now. Adding a keyboard is just another option for input. :)
  19. M1 Garand Well-Known Player

Cronus does not allow custom macros creation. Correct me if I'm wrong about this.
    But.
    Yes, after you plugged-in macro Xbox controller (like Viking or Wolf) you can do all crazy stuff.
    Pulling the perfect combo-clip-combo-clip... gives an advantage over other not so perfect players. Support powers on a macro keyboards just opens the door a bit wider. Anyway... hardcore PC players can not pull competitive non-assisted gaming for ages now, all of them use macro keyboards/keypads. Is it what casual PS folks want too? Fine! :)
  20. Superskull85 Devoted Player

Cronus uses a macro to remap buttons from a Xbox 360 controller to PS3 controls for example. It is not a sequence macro but it is needed to get it to work regardless.