PS3

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by MEBegnalsFan, Nov 28, 2015.

1. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

2016 is around the corner and PS is planning to stop support for its own system next year. With that state, has DBG announced the retirement of PS3 for DCUO? I'm curious as 2016 is approaching fast.
    • Like x 1
  2. megamanzero Loyal Player

support it forever
    • Like x 3
  3. Jafin 10000 Post Club

They just keep saying that they will continue to support the PS3 version indefinitely.
    • Like x 4
  4. Retired Red Robin Well-Known Player

This Topic has been on everybody who play's PS4 and PS3 for months now and I'ma PS3 user I'ma make the transition to PS4 soon once I'm done with finals and I can get a decent stable job (just gotta make the call).

But here's what I've been researching

Some Guy on the forum's posted that since new "major" Titles are coming out for the PS3 like Black Ops 3 (came out). MGSPP also coming out (probably came out too) than the ps3 still has time not 2016 but way more time like 2017.

People are saying that there are still PS3 players (Me included) that are either gonna making the transition to ps4 and if they were to just let say cut us off than the sheer backlash of such a move would hurt sony in Someway.

Until our Numbers dwindle to such a number where they actually can kill off the PS3 than it will happen but right now it's not happening. We've had black friday, christmas and many more but people have job's, family, school, and playing is a hobby so some can't put ps4 on the priority when they have much important **** to worry about. But I will say this I have a feeling by 2017 the ps3 will shut down.
  5. Slade Wilson Devoted Player

You can repeat a rumor over and over, but it stays a rumor ;) Example:

http://venturebeat.com/2014/02/02/playing-the-last-playstation-2-game/

That game came out end of 2013, after PS2 production was stopped. On top, Sony never said they stopped support for the PS3 in 2016. They confirmed they will support PS3 for sure til end of 2015, which is in logic a very different message. Sony didn't even announce the stop of PS3 console production (yes, they are still being made, they stopped producing the PS2 in 2013). With about 50 millions more PS3 sold than PS4 as of now, Sony would risk losing a large part of their customers.

So if they go the same way as with PS2, they won't drop the PS3 before the PS5 is ready ;)
    • Like x 5
  6. Pr0tojay Committed Player

All i know is if they stop supporting it they better give us several months of anticipation and not tell us like the day or week before like with some of their updates.
    • Like x 2
  7. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

Say what you will but It is already slowly happening...

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/sony-ends-facebook-app-support-playstation-3-vita-475747

Over time that will expand into all support. Microsoft has stated that Xbox 360 will have support through 2016. 360 game console maybe older but PS4 and Xbox One both launched around the same time; it is my best guess that PS3 support will cease about the same time Xbox 360 support stops. My guess is End of Year next year. With that stated and hardware difference between PS3 and PS4, plan for updating the game has to come early as other things are constantly being worked on such as Water Power, monthly content, Legends PVE, power balancing, etc...

But who knows when it will end. I have read it in the PSN forums and many are expecting PS3 support to end some times next November.
  8. lukelucky Devoted Player

As a guy who was suprised one afternoon ariving home to a ps4 I will say exactly what I said b4 I planned on getting a ps4. Do whats best for the game and drop ps3 because the action and game play can be massively better. Next gen only will apeal to xbox customers if we ever hit there and would allow us to step it up a bit to appeal back to the pc players we lost.

I will give u the pc parts a stretch but u gotta make as great of a product as possible and ditching ps3 is the way 2 do so. Oh fyi I lose an account or two as we still play on ps3.

If they dont end thjs replays a major source of revenue plan though I am concerned for us hitting 2017
    • Like x 2
  9. Swiftduck Loyal Player

If Sony drops ps3 from the network in 2016, the devs and community can do nothing about it. If Sony drops the ps3 then dbg has no choice but to stop support for it. They just need to hurry and make the xb one version and be done with the ps3.
    Like I said, it's not up to DBG, it's up to Sony
  10. Shadowwyvern Committed Player

I'm still on PS3, but plan to be on PS4 within a year. Hoping to get one for Christmas.
    • Like x 2
  11. Owl Devoted Player

Sony is still manufacturing and selling new PS3 consoles.
    Approximately 1.14 Million New PS3 consoles were purchased in 2015.

Developers are still creating PS3 games.
    Consumers spent more than $41 Million on New Retail PS3 games in 2015.
    Consumers spent more on new PS3 games than XBox One games in 2015.
    • Like x 3
  12. Green Lantern Fadi Loyal Player

To all PS3 players , I not trying to be rude or offend anyone BUT DCUO need to stop supporting PS3 so we can take this game to better level than it is now .

People complain that the devs are not doing good job with the dlc or not making new maps but in reality, PS3 is holding the game down .

I know money can be an issue when it comes to buy a new console but what DCUO can do is , the devs can make dlc specially for ps4 and pc players

I'm still waiting for the new UI tho . I only bought the ps4 thinking that a new UI will release just as they advertise but I gusse not
    • Like x 3
  13. DanXVII Committed Player

It doesn't matter, the game won't get any better when it's only on PS4, the catchphrase will just then turn to "wait for PS5" instead of "drop the PS3" when the quality of the game inevitably doesn't change. Hardware isn't what's limiting this game it's just a scapegoat.
    • Like x 5
  14. DEMONIZER1 Loyal Player

This game could grow so much if they would!

Didn't they state that after the Water power is dropped the PS3 can't handle anymore due to space and technical issues going forward?

Really how much time could be left for a almost 12 year old tech?

Devs and forum folks, this is a must for this game to become and be a next gen game dreams are made of....

I vote for the "Un-support of PS3" fan club, sorry but I want new and improved over maybe this will work, maybe it won't that we have now!

IA ARMY
    • Like x 1
  15. DEMONIZER1 Loyal Player

Now if you could, show the PS4 numbers please?

Love too see how it is doing!

Still believe we are being held back because of the ancient tech in the PS3, 12 years in the tech world is a lifetime and some!

Folks that believe this wouldn't/couldn't be better for the game are living in a dream world!

IA ARMY
  16. Green Lantern Fadi Loyal Player

Am with u on this bud
    • Like x 2
  17. Derio 15000 Post Club

over 30 million PS4's sold. However Sony clearly stated at E3 that they will support PS3 through 2017. When in 2017, we dont know. However MMOs like Defiance is still up for question, FFXIV has already stated their plans on PS3 with their next expansion, and DCUO will support ps3 till its lights go off.
  18. Dynagirl Committed Player

Every time this topic comes up I always find myself on the fence on whether or not dropping the ps3 would actually do much of anything. On the one hand, yes, getting rid of it will probably allow the devs more leeway on what the limitations are. Then on the other hand, they still have to create these improvements and with the finite resources they have I don't think they go too far out of their comfort zone that they have been used to for years now.
    • Like x 3
  19. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

The only way the devs will stop supporting the PS3 version of DCUO is if the PS3 no longer has access to PSN.

It doesn't make sense from a logic stand point to cut off players who remain on the PS3. The game wouldn't get any better just because PS3 players can't access it. Only future content could improve upon what we have now. The game, up until the very moment PS3's version of DCUO is closed, would remain exactly as it is now and to upgrade/improve it would cost a large amount of money and time.

The best solution would be to just leave DCUO as it is and work on a sequel. This game has a horrible reputation which has only worsened in recent weeks due to "events". Even if the devs fixed every problem and the game was genuinely amazing in the opinion of many, it'd still have that stigma which it has built up.

In addition to it's reputation, it's also using the Unreal 3 engine, which is as old as the hills from a technology stand point and extremely limited on what can be achieved. It isn't a good platform to build an MMO experience on.

There are also other issues like building the game around a subscription based model and then quickly abandoning it. Which has caused a fragmented and confusing progression system that isn't easy to understand if you're new. Products like replay badges, which take the place of items like XP boosters in other MMOs, have obliterated the quality of the game too.

There are also minor issues, such as casting Mark Hamill as the Joker, which was a great decision in the beginning, but given the fact that he has either abandoned the role or has an expensive price tag, it was a poor decision in the long run and as a result, we have a DC Comics games with 0 End-Game Joker content.

I know the limitations the PS3 imposes on the game, but the game, without PS3, is still a complete mess. Not supporting a PS3 version is merely cutting off a source of revenue without drastically improving the overall game. Just isn't worth it, in my opinion.
    • Like x 3
  20. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

as much as I would like to see this game be improved upon, I don't think Cancelling ps3 is gonna deal with all the problems it's facing.

They would literally have to redo-everything from scratch, as this game is using quite a dated engine, and it's very noticeable compared to other mmo's out there to-date.

So yeah, Its not just ps3 that's causing issues.

And quite frankly, Developers still have to yet to do the following: Balance all powers(Hasn't been done)
    Giving us a new UI(Not sure if that's even gonna happen anymore, but it needs to) Giving Support roles improvement(hasn't been done)
    And Finally Doing crossplay.
    • Like x 1