Livestream Preview: ATLANTIS

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Mepps, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Mermaid Dedicated Player

Breathtaking world! So rich, intricate, and vibrant. Sea-riously already the best environment even though they have been doing mermazing environments in the past already but this world easily tops them all!! The swimming aspect which I'm not shore why some people doubted was pearlfectly executed and I kinda figured they'd be able to deliver because swimming is an essential part of Atlantis.

Love all the details from the swimming marine life to the aquatic faunas, the ancient statues and architecture, it all so nice to soak in and sea! I've been yearning for this content for soo long and every episodes suggestions thread that would pop in and out, I'm there with my Atlantis DLC wishlist! The styles were also appropriate and very fabulous as usual!

Thank you devs for all your hard-work in making this episode stunning! I can't wait to swim around all day!! I shell be taking bottomless shellfies...
    • Like x 3
  2. Son1cPT Well-Known Player

If we sometimes criticize, we also have to know when to praise, which is the case
    I want to congrat you guys, the new DLC looks just great.
    Well done!
    • Like x 2
  3. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

I know it's a bit literal of me, but I don't understand why players have unending bubbles of air coming out of their legs while swimming deep undersea.

Other than that it suggests "underwater." What's the in-game justification? Do we somehow generate air constantly? Where are these gasses coming from? Non-stop farting for hour after hour?

What's going on with this?
    • Like x 1
  4. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

If you missed the stream, it is available here:

• Like x 7
  5. RogerBlack Committed Player

Assist.

To answer your question... the constant bubbles seen in the swimming animation are created due to a process called "Cavitation".

For example >> If you move your hands back & forth quickly (or kick your legs) while underwater... your body movement creates a space (void) in the water & any air in the vicinity will subsequently expand into that low pressure void you created... and bubbles will develop as the water also re-envelops the space.

In other words... as your hands (or legs) move underwater, the pressure in front of your hands (or legs) will rise... and the pressure on the back side of your hands (or legs) will drop.

So if you move your hands (or legs) around continuously... the pressure on the back side can drop to the vapor pressure of water at that temperature. This causes the water to evaporate and change into a 'gaseous' phase.

So what looks like 'bubbles' caused by your moving limbs... is mostly water in the 'gas phase' (aka steam).

Even though there is little to no oxygen around them... Cavitation is the reason WHY bubbles appear from a boat propellor (or a submarine propellor). Same principle.

Here's a video that can help explain it better than I can...

Hope this helps.
    • Like x 7
  6. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Whew, thank you. That's of course what we researched and intended.
    • Like x 5
  7. Fawkes2574 Dedicated Player

Mepps, has anyone ever told you that you kinda look like actor WIlliam Fichtner?
  8. Eve YouTuber

No Mepps is Riddler from Gotham

[IMG]
  9. Fawkes2574 Dedicated Player

This looks awesome guys!
  10. Fawkes2574 Dedicated Player

Who voices Aquaman in this? The voice sounds familiar.
  11. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

That totally makes sense. I actually know how cavitation works with propellers, but for some reason I was entirely forgetting that feet could also cause it.

Thanks muchly for explaining.

It did.

I'm a bit disappointed my farting explanation isn't it, though.
    • Like x 2
  12. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Ack! Scary!

He looks like a man capable of kicking rocks!
    • Like x 1
  13. Helios The Eternal Flame Dedicated Player

Lol......not exactly....... but ur cool too!!!
    • Like x 1