Praise for the devs

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Ergotth, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Ergotth Committed Player

I would just like to give a big shout-out to the devs who either had INCREDIBLE foresight when creating DCUO or managed to work into the code a way where updating the design of your NPCs retroactively updated them in every single appearence (and if this was actualy done manually, MAJOR kudos on such arduous task).

I know its a a minor detail, but as a returning player who started DCUO waaaay back in the 2010s and grew accustomed to the original design many NPCs had, seeing their drasticaly changed style (Raven, Cyborg, Harley) and never missing one appearance coloured me impressed. The nostagic side of me misses their old designs, buuuut its also neat you guys follow the comic books to keep the characters up to date.

[IMG]
    • Like x 7
  2. The Con Dedicated Player

I know the game isn't what it was originally meant to be.... (or, at least, seemed to me)... an extension/continuation of the DCU animated universe (same character design and voices)... which was what brought me to DCUO in the first place....

But, yeah, the move to a more "realistic" look to the characters is not an unwelcome change.
  3. WiZ1968 New Player

An exception for Donna Troy in the Raven instance. She looks one way when you fight her and completely changes outfit when you're done. Guess they missed that one... :)
  4. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Given how heavily Jim Lee's artistic style influenced the game and characters, I've always looked at it as more of a comics extension myself.

Getting the voices from the various animated series/projects was just icing on the cake for me. :D Even after all these years I still can't quite believe they managed to get arguably THE most iconic voices for Batman and The Joker for this game, and bringing in George Newbern and Susan Eisenberg later just added to it.
    • Like x 1
  5. Jason Martin Dedicated Player

I mean, they literally update the asset, so it will change in all places where that asset is being used.
  6. Illumin411 Loyal Player

I think this is lost on a lot of people who complain about the graphic quality. While it's true a ten year old engine has limitations, people forget that the artistic direction was never intended to be as close to photo realistic as possible but rather based off the animated series' and movies.
    • Like x 2
  7. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

They missed Huntress in the solo challenge, too. She looks different in the cutscenes vs. when playing as her. Not a big deal, but it did seem odd to me. I do like the updated looks overall, though.
  8. Eve YouTuber

They didn't, they just haven't gotten to let us play with the new models if ever. It is a bit odd, Wonder Woman Aegis of Truth solo is about the same. Cutscenes - new model, but you play with old one. Only Circe got "Fixed" so she has old model in cutscenes too.

I actually asked Charon and it requires to make a new model for the Possessed Donna Troy. Hopefully they will have the time for it (I hope I understood it correctly) If you run the machine raid they also show old Donna & Raven & Beast Boy there. Just Starfire and Cyborg has the new models. But I think this is a Mesh.
    • Like x 1
  9. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

Oh wow! I just realized from looking at your pic of the original Teen Titans styling that Starfire's original costume now belongs to Jahy from The Great Jahy Can Not be Defeated!

[IMG]
  10. Ergotth Committed Player

and I also forgot how Starfire's old outfit looked.... kinky xD

As for me, I always though of DCUO as an extension of the comics too, getting those like Mark Hamill and Kevin Conroy felt more like something they truly deserved for bringing such fantastic performances in other medias. I simply can NOT imagine their characters with other voices. Even when watching the He-Man revelations, I IMMEDIATLY recognized the Sorceress as the same voice as Wonder Woman. And I can't imagine WW with another voice.
  11. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

Very true
  12. Psycho Tech Dedicated Player

Been looking for a way to ask, am i crazy or are there 2 existing Chang Tzu models? The oolong 1 looks like someone ironed his face, severe burn marks or something
  13. BaelinFishman Well-Known Player

I just wish they had the foresight to not hard code the brainiac bottles to the metro/gotham maps. 10 years later and city hall is still destroyed, I've killed brainiac and his drones a few hundred hundred thousand times and buildings are still bottled and those bottles in south gotham are really driving down the property values of bases in that area.
  14. RunzWithTurtlez New Player

They got Newbern to voice Superman? I didn't even know that though I haven't played the game since 2013-ish (only recently started playing again) and yet they didn't have him re-record all of the old dialogue like they did with Susan.
  15. Ergotth Committed Player

but then new players will have no idea whats going on.... oh what the hell, NOBODY KNOWS WHATS GOING ON xD
  16. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

I look forward to what the creative team who makes the art and develops the story lines come up in the near future. Writing stories with interesting plots & twists is hard work too, or are the content creation folks also classified under the term developers for our purpose of this discussion?

Regardless, the one who are writing the programs to make this game function are doing an exceptional job. It is hard to go back into work somebody else wrote and then try to either fix it, replace it, or add to it without breaking something else along the way.

I read the credits and seen that DCUO uses Unreal Engine 3. I don’t know how much easier it is program in the latest version of Unreal Engine or if it a case of “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” :)

I know at the company I work at, the IT dept has recently updated our Relational Database Manager to a much newer version and it actually went pretty smoothly from what I have been told. But there are new ways of doing things they were use to doing as a result.

But I’m a cat, what do I know.
  17. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Newbern came in around the Phantom Zone raid/Earth 3 content and started doing the voice work from that point on. Not re-recording the old lines might have been a cost issue, I don't know for sure.

However you can still hear Gina Torres' voice work in the game. Susan Eisenberg re-recorded the in-game lines but for some reason the voice work on the motion comics we get from the leveling content still has Gina Torres' voice.
  18. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

The game was actually always based on the comics directly, with some happy overlap and a very few exceptions. The styles and feel originally came from the 2000s comics and specifically Jim Lee's styles and influence. (I think people sometimes forget he literally worked on the game with us.)

Most of the character revamps update fidelity, using our modern capabilities vs. what was possible at launch, and usually come with elements of more recent character designs. The world changes. :)
    • Like x 7
  19. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Also, I believe we have all of these character swap issues identified, but I'll confirm.
    • Like x 1
  20. Eve YouTuber

Does it mean we will get to play with the new models or the cutscenes will change to old models?